Chia Seeds

Options
EMTFreakGirl
EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
Anyone include these in their diet, regularly? I have recently discovered them and LOVE them as a gel/pudding (Pudding and cream pies were my favorite food, a daily treat, prior to my life-style change) but I'm wondering what else I can do with these things. Any suggestions? I would love to know what others do...please share! :smooched:

Replies

• jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I :heart: chia seeds! I put a tablespoon in my oatmeal... I make it the night before and the seeds get all plumpy.... i really dont like the texture of oatmeal without them. When I am super lazy and don't want to cook dinner, I have a slim fast and toss some in that and yummm... Sometimes I just dump them in my water and it totally freaks people out seeing them float around in my bottle. :drinker: makes me happy to see their freak on! Haha...

There is a recipe floating around youtube that explains how to make jam with them... So want to try that.

Also I heard that some people eat them raw...

I also saw that people make chia gel as a butter/oil substitute in baking... but I don't bake.

Mmmmmm... chia seeds!
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat Chia seeds in EVERYTHING, salads, soups, smoothies, coatings, PUDDINGS:P they are my favorite. MY other new fab favorite HEMP seeds, and protein.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bought some yesterday for the first time so keen to see how I get on with them. Very small and unassuming seeds but then so is quinoa and I eat that a lot.
    I suppose that chia can be used in a similar way to quinoa (I often have them savoury as a rice/pasta replacement or sweet in my porridge instead of oatmeal)?
  • jessery2014
    Options
    As a recovering bread crumb addict who used to spend nights curled up on the couch with a container and a spoon I now use chia seeds as a replacement when baking fish/chicken mixed with almond four and garlic powder. Also use as bc replacement to thicken meatballs/loaf.
  • tamlynfox
    Options
    There are tons of CHIA SEED recipes on pinterest. I can't recommend Pinterest enough for fitness/weight loss
    if you only pin the healthy things or modify the unhealthy ones.
    :huh:
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you cook chia seeds? Just like quinoa?

Only recently discovered them and just added them to my breakfast (yoghurt, fruit and muesli). Works with hemp seeds as well.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We put them in smoothies.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    They are not a grain with a consistancy like rice.... when you put them in liquid they make a gel like substance. They are sort of like a little gel ball...
  • robert5891
    Options
    1 Tablespoon in my smoothie every morning!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I don't think I am ready to mix them into things yet, other than making the gel/puddings. I am loving those and they feel like such a delish treat on their own. Last night I mixed a couple TBSP with the little bit of left over coffee that I didn't have a chance to drink yesterday, added a bit of unsweetened coconut milk and a dash of my homemade dark cocoa Hot chocolate mix. Mocha pudding gel/pudding for dessert. LOVE it!

"gel ball"... great description. I've been saying it's kind of like tapioca, but GOOD for you! lol
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Random, but where do you buy chia seeds? Do you have to go to a specialty/health store or can you find them in the regular grocery stores and if so, what section are they in (I don't even know what they look like :o)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Buy the ground up and put them on weetabix with crushed seeds/nuts. Great for veggie protein source
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    mix them into greek yogurt
  • bunnybutler84
    Options
    I buy mine from Costco. I put them in oatmeal in the morning. At night I put them in whatever I make for dinner. I tried to drink them with coffee once and ewww. It felt like I was trying to swallow a cup of worms LOL. I have had them with an ice coffee and it wasn't bad. I just drank it faster. Usually cooking them into things is the way to go at least for me and the family. Same thing with flax.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that you may want to try!

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam
    Ingredients

1 cup raspberries
    1 tbsp chia seeds + 2 tbsp water
    2 tbsp honey (try local!)
    Instructions

Soak chia seeds in water for 10 minutes
    Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until combined
    Store in a glass jar in the fridge
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use them to thicken smoothies and veggie drinks. I use ground flax seeds for the same purpose.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I bought some a couple months ago b/c I was feeling a little like a hippy. I haven't opened them since.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I through ground chia seeds into my green/protein smoothies. I don't know that they add flavor, but I get the nutrition profile I want.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As a recovering bread crumb addict who used to spend nights curled up on the couch with a container and a spoon I now use chia seeds as a replacement when baking fish/chicken mixed with almond four and garlic powder. Also use as bc replacement to thicken meatballs/loaf.

Awesome idea to use in place of bread crumbs!

I usually put them on top of yogurt with some chopped nuts. Or make "cereal" with chia seeds, coconut and finely chopped pecans. Also good in smoothies and chia pudding.
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So...buying ground seeds sounds like a better option that whole seeds? I'm thinking I would use them in smoothies, greek yogurt and oatmeal. Again, never bought them or tried them but hear about how great they are.