So I lost 80 pounds.

Options
Hey guys! I've been dieting for a year or so (since July '13) and I went from 209 lbs to 135. I haven't had my period since April (20 years old, definitely not pregnant), and I've plateaued. I'd really like to lose another 15 pounds, so I'm 120 lbs and 5'5".

Any ideas why the issues? I have a feeling it has to do with nutrition. I've opened up my diary and I'm bracing myself for criticism.

Thanks so so much! :)

Replies

• Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? You may have lost so much weight that your not able to have a period right now? This used to happen to me when I was in middle school on the track team. my weight was barely breaking 100 pounds during that time in my life and it stopped my period until I gained some weight back in the off season. I would go seek advise of a healthcare provider to get the best answer to your problem.
  • wilsonunc
    wilsonunc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 135 pounds, which according to BMI is a perfectly healthy weight (actually on the higher end of the healthy weights for my height).
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah you aren't too skinny then. I looked at your diary. It sounds like your eating nutrient rich foods and not junk. I would go see a doctor to get the best idea of what is wrong.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I really don't want to judge easily we all have a hard time with food ...I see you eating a lot of processed snack stuff..bars etc...Im not sure if that could be the culprit...I really think you need to get back to eating better foods..beans,meat, veggies...and less of the easy stuff....great job on the weight loss thus far and I wish you luck in the future just don't harm your body at such a young age,
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone else will tell you the usual things like exercise more, yada yada... so I won't go there.

I went back to Sept 1st in your diary, and you have a lot of different days - no pattern to really go on. You have some really low calorie days all in a row which could be why your periods have stopped. Or maybe there is a big stress in your life other than your weight loss? You have some good foods in your diet, but also some high sugar foods, and often your protein is low and carbs and sugar high.

I have always been a high carb / high sugar dieter until recently. Since I started adding more protein to my diet, I feel better. The brain needs protein to produce dopamine - a hormone that gives you energy, motivation, focus and drive. It also reduces appetite. In my case, I have been astounded by the results of adding more protein and limiting carbs and sugar. It's like I'm on diet pills or something. If you want to send a friend request, you'll be able to see my diary, if you think it might help.

I just mention the dopamine thing because in order to stay focused and motivated through this plateau, you might need some extra help in the motivation and appetite control department. If you keep trying, the weight will eventually begin to drop again. It WILL! Good luck to you.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've been dieting for a year or so (since July '13) and I went from 209 lbs to 135. I haven't had my period since April (20 years old, definitely not pregnant), and I've plateaued. I'd really like to lose another 15 pounds, so I'm 120 lbs and 5'5".

Any ideas why the issues? I have a feeling it has to do with nutrition. I've opened up my diary and I'm bracing myself for criticism.

Thanks so so much! :)

First read what the great Jillian says
    http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/break-through-weight-loss-plateau

Maybe up your cals?
    "Oddly, when I ate 1,700 calories daily, the pounds started to come off."
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/success-stories/makeovers/bust-weight-loss-plateau/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Even packaged stuff. That's probably why you're not losing weight.

For your period, mine has been extremely irregular as well since I lost weight, so I can't really help much. My doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it.

Curious though... where are the veggies in your diary? Your diet seems very unbalanced.
  • wilsonunc
    Options
    Woohoo! Thanks for your replies, everyone!

MyaPapaya: You're definitely right, I am eating a lot of easy, quick protein bars. I'm a busy college student, and one strapped for cash at that, and I just kind of end up eating them because they are, as you said, EASY. There are days (like today :( ) where I have class from 9-4 straight, and I just end up having one during class as a meal >__<. Looking at my diary and thinking about it, though, that doesn't mean I can't have fuller meals on days when I don't have crazy schedules. I admit to being a little lazy sometimes, or just craving chocolate without wanting to commit.

Another big problem I have, and you guys have pointed it out, is that I'm not eating much variety. I would really love any advice anyone had on how to live a college diet and still eat a healthful variety. I don't have a meal plan, and if I want to go get groceries, I have to take a bus there and back. Some food goes bad too quickly, and I am only back at my dorm after 10 each night so it is hard to make something nice that I can carry around with me, unrefrigerated, and not be concerned that it is going bad. :/

Any suggestions on low carb, high protein stuff, lefty? I don't eat pork or beef, but I've definitely seen that my sugar and carb intake are high and sometimes (like yesterday), I crave like CRAZY.

Do you think I need to work out more?
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! Not positive if you're more concerned about the plateau or your period, but I recommend getting to a doctor, just to be on the safe side, to make sure nothing is medically wrong/interrupting your cycle.

Lots of things, including stress from school, can cause your period to stop. A major weight loss (congratulations!) can cause changes in your hormones, and this break from your period could be your body's adjustment time. A doctor can check your levels for sure, and also help ensure that nothing serious is going on.

Best of luck and be sure to take care of you! I remember what it's like to be a busy college student (three jobs, 15 credit hours...ouch!) but putting yourself first is a good practice to get into now, while you're young. :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Even packaged stuff. That's probably why you're not losing weight.

For your period, mine has been extremely irregular as well since I lost weight, so I can't really help much. My doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it.

Curious though... where are the veggies in your diary? Your diet seems very unbalanced.

She went from 209lbs to 135, I don't think weighing her protein bars will make a lot of difference now! She obviously knows how to lose weight. With only 15lbs to lose now it will be slower, especially as she's at a healthy weight.

Are you stressed about anything? My period stopped for a while when I was 18 and just about to go to university.

You could easily take things like fruit and carrot/cucumber sticks with you in the day, and things like baby bel cheese, nuts etc. I don't know what facilities you have, but if you have a blender make a smoothie in the morning with lots of fruit and veg in it.

When I was at university I ate a lot of egg, and jacket potato and tuna!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Could the period thing be unrelated to your weightloss and plateau? I went through a couple of times of changing bc prescriptions and, as Mr. Universe would say, it played "merry merry" on my lady business. It all leveled out eventually, so it might be a question for your doctor as it could be entirely unrelated to weight and diet.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This may sound a bit strange but taking my set of vitamins usually limits crazy cravings, like chocolate, (unless its my TOM when all bets are off). Its usually a slight vitamin deficiency when your body craves particular things. So I'd try buying some multivitamins (I like Nature Made) when you get a chance. Also I agree that you should see your doctor, make sure they think everything is fine, maybe they'll have a suggestion for how to correct your missing period or be able to prescribe you something.

For the cheap healthy foods, (I admit I didn't actually look at your diary, I saw comments on veggies so I'm starting there) there are some veggies that don't go bad too quickly, I've noticed carrots can hang around until I finish them, celery too, another option which isn't as good for you since it isn't fresh are the canned and frozen vegetables. You can pick up a container and use it for a couple meals for a few days close to each other. The bird's eye frozen veggies are usually on sale by me so I'd assume there's at least one store near you that would have them cheap.

Also frozen tilapia or other fish are good ways to get in protein and since they aren't fresh they are cheaper than buying them every time you plan out a meal. Get the no breaded, plain fish then you can add lemon juice, pepper, salt, etc.. as you wish. Canned tuna is also really cheap and super easy. I found these 60 cal wraps at my supermarket so if you get that and some tuna, add in some celery and light mayo or Greek yogurt, anything you want with your tuna, you'll be all set with a quick, low carb, high protein meal. Along those lines, I know there's cooked chicken in the bacon section of my super market, they are grilled pieces that can easily be tossed in a salad or a wrap, they last for a while and no cooking involved so that's super quick too.

Check out pinterest, I've found a lot of good recipes that aren't budget killers. Good luck!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight loss. You've clearly put in a lot of hard work and I admire that! Also two big thumbs up for working so hard in college... its a tough lifestyle especially when your trying to eat healthy!

I think you should see a doctor ASAP. Missed periods can sometimes be a sign of a serious health problem. Changes in hormone levels can make you feel horrible too and may bring on other symptoms in the future. Bring your food diary and discuss it with your doc so he can see how healthy you are living and get some blood work done to see if there is something else that might be going on.

Sometimes weight loss can bring to the surface other health issues you never knew you had. (I started having gall stones out of nowhere after a drastic weight loss once...it sucks! Its like your being punished by your body for doing something that was definitely healthy for it!.)

I know its really super tough trying to do things outside of classes and homework when your in college.So stressful! But remember the most important thing in the world is you and your health. Those term papers and stuff will just have to wait their turn. :)

Hope everything turns out to be just fine in the end. Sending happy thoughts your way!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

She went from 209lbs to 135, I don't think weighing her protein bars will make a lot of difference now! She obviously knows how to lose weight. With only 15lbs to lose now it will be slower, especially as she's at a healthy weight.

Actually yes, that's when it makes a difference. Smaller deficit, more cravings... very easy to undo a deficit if you're not careful. Believe me... I know. I'm in exactly the same place as OP (give or take 2 pounds, and I'm ok with stopping at 130 pounds), except I weigh everything so I know exactly why I'm not always losing as much as I'd like.

OP seriously, eat more veggies. I buy frozen veggies and just have one bag at a time with my meals, pretty much. Really fills you up, and it has protein too.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Actually yes, that's when it makes a difference. Smaller deficit, more cravings... very easy to undo a deficit if you're not careful. Believe me... I know. I'm in exactly the same place as OP (give or take 2 pounds, and I'm ok with stopping at 130 pounds), except I weigh everything so I know exactly why I'm not always losing as much as I'd like.

OP seriously, eat more veggies. I buy frozen veggies and just have one bag at a time with my meals, pretty much. Really fills you up, and it has protein too.

We get frozen veggies too (broccoli, cauliflower, peas, stir fry veg, courgettes etc)....makes life easier, and no waste. Frozen fruit is good too. Things like carrots, apples, pears etc keep for longer so you can buy those fresh.

I do think that weight comes off slowly when you don't have much to lose, especially if you're a healthy weight for your height.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your body fat composition? A female needs to have at least 10% body fat to have her menses. There is no if's about it. If you've lost your period, I would measure first, then if you've met the criteria of that >10%, then see the doctor. Your weight seems to be ok at 5'5", but you could be super muscular (not sure).

Female athletes lose their periods all the time during training and competition season due to this reason.
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are taking in a lot of sugar and carbs, mostly from the processed foods and flavored yogurts. Some days you had 1000 calories left to eat! Be consistent and pay attention to your macros and I think you will do fine. You have come so far! Congrats! Are you hungry throughout the day? Keep that metabolism going, so you are never hungry and your body will love it.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What is stopping you from buying a meal plan? Is the cafeteria food not that great? I went to UMASS, there food was awesome, huge salad bars, hot foods, different cafeterias served different foods, they had grab n go stations for quick grab lunches that we took to class, etc. That may be your best option while your at school.
  • wilsonunc
    Options
    I've been trying to do a little bit better in terms of managing my macros and eating more veggies and whatnot. I don't know my body fat composition, but I would be quite shocked if it is under 10%. I definitely am not overly muscular or anything. I do work out regularly, but I don't think excessively? I wouldn't even call myself particularly athletic. I mean, I am in the school's marching band, but that is about as close to an athlete as I come. We do a lot of walking and standing.

I wish I had a meal plan, but unfortunately we are already too far into the semester to purchase one. I like the food and the variety and the ease of going to the dining hall, but when I went my freshman year (before I lost the weight), I had no self control. The times that I've been back to the dining hall, I've had a very difficult time managing my intake and I am concerned that the nutrition info listed for their foods is VERY inaccurate. I mean, they serve you on a tray however much they feel like giving you of a food -- and I can't very well whip out my measuring stuff to figure it out. When I was at the dining hall, there were so many tempting foods ... I try my best to keep higher calorie foods out of my room. I try to make it so that if I want to indulge in something extra, I have to go out and find the extra thing. It isn't restriction, but it is being honest with myself about my impulsivity.

Thanks, you guys!
  • wilsonunc
    Options
    so I ordered a scale of my own (before I had just been using the gym scale).

According to that, I'm 131 lbs and I have 18.3% body fat