Can you identify a 176g apple/ gett 30g of PB by eye etc...

Options
I've noticed my approximation skills are pretty well developed now thanks to mfp, I mean there are times I literally am wrong by 1-3grams on fruits etc, yesterday and today I scopped the exact amount of PB/honey from 1st try (27 and 20g) Have you notice it too? How good are you?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I'm left handed and use the other side of my brain that's doesn't think like that.......not....my....fault.
  • EmpressZhark
    EmpressZhark Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I once cut a 150g block of cheese into 5 30g portions first try, no weighing until it was all cut. I felt pretty pleased that day. Then felt silly for feeling pleased lol.

I can usually dollop the right amount of greek yoghurt on my porridge first thing in the morning without thinking about it. But that’s easy, it’s just a dessert spoon. Ask me to guess the weight of an apple and I’ve got no idea.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    My handfull of nuts is always 30g
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm so good I've never even used a food scale.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I like nuts. Hi :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've become an expert. It's kind of fun to guess.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with cheese. I usually don't weigh cheese. I'll buy an 8oz block of sharp cheddar. Then I cut it in half. Then I cut each half, in half. Then I cut each quarter in half. At that point, I have (8) 1oz pieces. Out of all the times I've done that, 9-10 times it's pretty spot on. The only time I weigh cheese, is if I've shredded the block.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can cut a 1.5 oz. piece of cheese on the first try every time.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

huh. I'd have guessed 85g apiece.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options

huh. I'd have guessed 85g apiece.

I see what you did there!:laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm not far off, but at 200 calories a spoon of nut butter, I can be off by 50 calories... it adds up.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm really really terrible at this. Especially with peanut butter and cheese. You know....the good stuff. I want to eat it all.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good, but I find that if I estimate something and then weigh it, I'm usually under. Case in point today, I cut up what I thought would be 50g of cheese, turned out to be 32. Nice surprises.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm terrible at guessing.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I didn't understand how there was not a 'who cut the cheese' gif in here yet, because surely I wasn't the ONLY juvenile on here until I looked online...

Carry on.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I didn't understand how there was not a 'who cut the cheese' gif in here yet, because surely I wasn't the ONLY juvenile on here until I looked online...

Carry on.

1.jpg
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

Carry on.

1.jpg

Nice!

Oh, and I can eyeball 4 oz of chicken pretty well - it's the equivalent size to a deck of cards. Sister #3 taught me that trick and it does pan out well when I measure and weigh food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1 oz of cheese.

I'm okay with my yogurt- but cheese I can actually get within the tenth. I'm wildly amused by my skills.

Bigger skill- who can eyeball their wine appropriately!!!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    For most things yes, I can eye ball it but I always put it on the scale to double check.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Not even close... I use my scale rfaithfully.