My maintenance calories

Options
Hi guys, I have looked at several online calculators to try and get an idea of my TDEE, however I am finding this difficult as one days that need around 1900-2000 and another days I would need 2500-2700. Another problem im getting with finding my maintenance is that my weight fluctuates so much, like 5-10 lb. a day. Most of my days I stand/walk for around 1/3 of the day so I set the activity factor on the MFP app to Active, (is this too high?). My stats are - 19 years old, 5 foot 9 1/2 (176.5cm), 145-149 pounds. Thanks guys, Dan

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your calorie needs vary a lot from day to day then the MFP way of setting base calories and then logging and eating back exercise calories may well suit you better than the TDEE same calories every day method?

It works best for me as my daily exercise burns vary from zero to thousands (I cycle).

Personally I would say you sound more like an activity level of lightly active rather than active from your description "most of my days I stand/walk for around 1/3 of the day" but really it just gives you a start point from which to make adjustments.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I let MFP set my daily goal, but I use an activity tracker to get a more accurate reading. If you're constantly over, you might switch to lightly active as sijomia says. Eventually you will know how your body works and it won't be so hard. My approach is ( in spite of the tracker) very lo-tech - eieo (energy in energy out). In other words, the less external checks and balances you have the better you'll be able to develop a personal approach.
  • dancafc1995
    dancafc1995 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can't see what formula they are using, I prefer this site as you can choose formulas (or compare them all and take an average) and also set your goals.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

But remember these are TDEE calculators and don't work the same as myfitnesspal's method.
  • dancafc1995
    Options
    I might just set MFP at lightly active and if I don't get any results I will resort to scoobys calc. Does MFP use the Miffin St Jeor equation?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would ignore any fluctuation during the day by weighing only in the morning at the same time right after you wake. Don't worry about trying to time it for right after a crap. You will get your best daily average this way. You will still get some fluctuations but not the 5 pounds during the day ones. Then step back and look at the trends. When I did this I realized that my weekend eating was undoing my during the week losses. Now I can keep it to within a two pound range if I pass on chicken wings.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Use this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I agree with the ignoring the fluctuation, you said "during the day". You should only be weighing yourself once a day, same time of the day, no clothes. Day to day fluctuation is also somewhat normal so keep a week's average. But the best way to know your number is by trial and error. Find a number you like, try that for a while (at least 2-3 weeks if not more), if you gain go lower, if you lose go higher, if nothing happens you can either choose to stay with that number or continue to increase slowly to see at what number you will still be maintaining.

Good luck.
  • dancafc1995
    Options
    Hey I just found this calculator - https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/bodycomp/bmiz2.html do you think it's good or not?
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Look, people are trying to help you and you keep posting new calculators. Either you listen or you just don't post any topics for advice. No offence.
  • dancafc1995
    Options
    I thought the whole idea of a Forum was based on people asking questions?
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Use this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I agree with the ignoring the fluctuation, you said "during the day". You should only be weighing yourself once a day, same time of the day, no clothes. Day to day fluctuation is also somewhat normal so keep a week's average. But the best way to know your number is by trial and error. Find a number you like, try that for a while (at least 2-3 weeks if not more), if you gain go lower, if you lose go higher, if nothing happens you can either choose to stay with that number or continue to increase slowly to see at what number you will still be maintaining.

Good luck.

^^
    This.

Every person is different, so a calculator is only going to tell you what a typical person needs. It is a good starting point, but you will need to eat that amount and see what happens to find if it is right. We can't tell you through the internet which is the right number. You have to figure it out over time as you test the effects of various calorie levels. Weight changes from day to day naturally for reasons that have nothing to do with gaining or losing fat, so the long term trend is what is important. So you may need to stay at a calorie label a few weeks to find out if it is causing you to gain/lose/maintain.
  • shopes2468
    shopes2468 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pick a number (a mean of what all the calculators spit out if you're not sure, maybe?) and stick with it for a few weeks and see what happens and how you feel.
  • MasterFarCaster
    Options
    I'm a competitive runner and need to make sure I'm eating enough or my weight drops fast. This website is closest for me http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I was in shock when it said I needed close to 4000 calories as a 135-140 pound male at 5'10, but it's pretty much dead on. Myfitness is pretty close too
  • dancafc1995
    Options
    Well I'm a student so most days I am either Walking, sitting or standing, is lightly active the correct setting to use, or sedentary?