The good ol'foam roll?

manetta1
manetta1 Posts: 138
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone use a foam roll? I've read its for stretching and loosening tight muscles you may and have a hard time stretching??? What are peoples take.

Mike

Replies

• poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    I Heart the Foam Roll.

I don't do all the stretches but I like quite a few of them.
    If you google foam roll stretches there are all sorts of video and pictures.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I love mine!!! In addition to the stretches, I also use it for balance work. I lay on it, with it directly under my spine and lift arms and legs. Talk about tough! Good for core strength and different. I'm all about different. I get bored easily with the same old, same old workout all the time.
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    I love mine! It's really good for muscles that you can't really stretch easily, being a dancer sometimes parts of your body are too flexible to get a stretch out of stretches so the foam roller is like giving yourself a message, using your own body weight! It's fantastic
  • manetta1
    Whats with the difference in thickness. I think I may get one since I can never take the tension completely out of my back, but I see that they come in different diameters/thickness i guess. Heavier people use bigger rollers???
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    The first time my trainer made me use one of those things I was in pain lol. It IS really good for stretching out
    tight muscles, and in the beginning it taught me that I had way too much build up in my muscles from not stretching
    properly before and after workouts. I would definitely recommend it..just gotta get through the kinks.
  • manetta1
    So should I invest in a harder density foam roller if I intend to use it everyday? That just means its gonna last longer than a less firm, less dense roller??? I saw some high density foam rollers that were extra firm on amazon.com that were catching my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026I2SBS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1E8F6XMT98V6NH2HWFJ8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Thats a link to them. I guess my question is whats the best of the best that is ideal for me because sounds like I will be trying one of these. Any insight on name brands and where you guys purchased them would be helpful :)

Mike
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I use mine quite regularly on my I.T. band...if I don't roll that area a few times each week, it wreaks havoc on other parts of my body. It's a good, cheap investment in your health. There are a lot of videos on YouTube as well that show how to foam roll different parts of your body.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    The link you provided looks like a fine roller. I'd opt for the 6x36 version if I were you. I too am a rolling junkie. Feels so good on my back and shoulders.
This discussion has been closed.