Fat Shaming - New Research

Options
13»

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Should people be aloud to criticise (aka 'shame') negative aspects of any person at all?
    If so, how would one determine which aspects are ok and which are not?

Me, I've always been happy to either take criticism on the chin if it's justified, or offer a thought out defence/explanation if I don't think it - I might even learn something in the latter case.

There is a big BIG difference between criticism and shaming.

To someone you know well in private "Hey mate, I don't know whether you've noticed lately but your putting on a bit of weight. I think maybe you should cut back a bit maybe come to the gym with me tomorrow?" That is honest frank criticism.

In public "You been eating all the pies again you fat *kitten*! Get your *kitten* down the gym for once in your life" With a look of total disgust on the face. THAT is shaming.

And yes both have been said to me.

The latter or variants of it made me prejudiced against skinny people associating it with vanity and arrogance. The former voiced by a concerned friend are what actually lead me to lose weight.

It's all about the attitude.
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think any negative behavior towards someone can potentially make their problems worse. Fat shaming is no different in my eyes.