Tracking Calories Burned?

Options
How do you get an accurate calorie burn for various exercises, the mfp site or a heart rate monitor?

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    An HRM will give you a more accurate reading depending on the HRM quality. I bought a Timex and learned it wasn't accurate at all. So - I invested in a Polar. It's definitely accurate. I think the numbers on the MFP site are just general numbers.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think a heart rate monitor is more effective than this site. Each individual is different in burning calories and this site gives you a generic amount of calories burned.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Using the heart rate monitor has been an eye-opening experience for me. I was using the #'s that the MFP database gave me for circuit training. Turns out, MFP was estimating high (I was burning ~200 calories, when MFP told me I burned ~250). On the flip side, though, my stationary bike was giving me low numbers (I was burning ~ 160 calories in 24 minutes, when the bike told me ~120). So, I would highly recommend an HRM for accurate numbers!
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    MFP is close, but a HRM is best! I use Polar for accurate counts.
  • jmijares
    Options
    An HRM will give you a more accurate reading depending on the HRM quality. I bought a Timex and learned it wasn't accurate at all. So - I invested in a Polar. It's definitely accurate. I think the numbers on the MFP site are just general numbers.

I second the use of Polar. I've been using their HRMs for many years. They use a lot more variables when calculating calories.

I'd recommend getting one of their basic models.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    MFP is close, but a HRM is best! I use Polar for accurate counts.

I agree. I use Polar as well. Love it.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go. everyone should own one. i prefer the one with the chest strap.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    Agree! Polar HRM's are great. I bought mine in 2004 and am still using it. I have noticed that the estimates on MFP for calories burned are significantly higher than what my HRM says.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go. everyone should own one. i prefer the one with the chest strap.

HRM with the chest strap is the best. I bought my on Amazon.com for about $40. Timex Zone trainer with chest strap.