How many calories does a Shake Weigh burn?

Options

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as much as this does:

tugtoner.jpg
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't think i've ever tried to count the calories from my shake weight. I just like the fact that my arms look nice. :) I doubt it would be enough to bother with though.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I read that it burns about 16- 18 calories a minute but I assume that varies...I use one too!

I don't think that's right. I would think to burn that many calories you'd actually have to be doing something.... Anyway, if you are only using it for 6 min a day it's probably not an amount worth counting.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    if you haven't seen it, watch the Southpark episode about the shake weight. OMG hilarious!

There is nothing like a good old fashioned....lol!!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I read that it burns about 16- 18 calories a minute but I assume that varies...I use one too!

That can't possibly be right. I burn 15 calories a minute on the elliptical with sweat pouring from me and my heart rate at 145. Sitting there holding a shaking weight that's barely raising your heartrate cannot possibly be burning more than 1-2 calories a minute above your resting burn rate.

Having said that - anything is better than nothing. But weight training is not about burning calories, it's about building calorie-burning muscle for the long term.

Good on OP for at least making TV time useful exercise-wise. But it's not a real caloric advantage.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Here is a female heavy lifter. You tell me if she is "bulky" or toned:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AllisonNYC?feature=watch
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    if you haven't seen it, watch the Southpark episode about the shake weight. OMG hilarious!

LOVED that episode. "And now for the cooling mist"
  • suleone
    suleone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found this well-written article on the Shake Weight: http://www.livestrong.com/article/487272-how-many-calories-can-you-burn-a-day-using-the-shake-weight/

It says 6.7 calories per minute average (30-50 for a 6-minute "workout")

Personally, I like my Shake Weight. I don't do their workout routines, just shake it whenever I think about it.
    I only count it in my exercise log if it's part of a longer cardio routine.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't know but do you use a Sham Wow to wipe yourself off after your workout?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you avoid picking up a cookie, then by all means, use the shake weight. but don't expect it to burn too many calories for you. if you're curious, strap on a HRM and see how many you actually burn.

if your goal is to burn fat, then you're better off doing compound exercises involving larger muscles....that's where more work is involved...and more work = more calories burned. again, if you're doing the shake weight to avoid picking up a cookie, fine. but, don't use it because of the calories burned. If you want to burn calories while watching TV, get off the couch and do some jump squats, some burpees, some decline push-ups from your couch, spiderman push-ups, single legged squats, jumping kickbacks, etc....a whole bunch of compound exercises you can do without a single piece of equipment right there in your living room.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Lol solid first post... Going on the stepmill with 20lb weights on your back with the speed as high as possible probably burns about 16-18 calories a minute. Sitting on the couch holding a vibrator errrr shake weight in your hand probably burns about 2 calories per minute.

Save your money, the shake weight is garbage. It's not going to "tone" your arms. You can't target fat loss.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The real benefit of the shake weight is that while you burn calories working out, your family burns calories by laughing at you. There really is something in it for everybody. :)

--Carter

I like the way you think. :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but just saw it in YouTube. How can ANYONE use it seriously!!!! Here's the Southpark clip:

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTBxFocCzg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • rockrdoll
    Options
    I work and go to school with a few female body builders and also used to go to church with quite a few others and they are A LOT more than toned... every female body builder i have ever met even the ones in the swim suit division have been bulky not just toned and make guys jealous of their muscle
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It reduces your hip area by about two inches of wallet space.
  • npetrikMU
    Options
    Not sure on the calories- that's what brought me here too. But I just wanted to add my input towards the shake weight. I'm a nursing student and barely have time for anything- especially a workout. What I do is use the shake weight about 3-4 times a week (every other day), and on days that I do find time for a workout, I use the shake weight and 10 lb dumbells (which I do for about 10 minutes), and I have noticed a difference worth mentioning after adding the shake weight to my workout :)

Take it or leave it, laugh at it, do what you will. All I know is that I have toner arms now!

Good luck to those who use it- I love it!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Lol solid first post... Going on the stepmill with 20lb weights on your back with the speed as high as possible probably burns about 16-18 calories a minute. Sitting on the couch holding a vibrator errrr shake weight in your hand probably burns about 2 calories per minute.

Save your money, the shake weight is garbage. It's not going to "tone" your arms. You can't target fat loss.

Hahaha, so I cant count the calories for my alone time??!?! Dammit!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I work and go to school with a few female body builders and also used to go to church with quite a few others and they are A LOT more than toned... every female body builder i have ever met even the ones in the swim suit division have been bulky not just toned and make guys jealous of their muscle

Then you know some very weak and pathetic men. ;)
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use my "shake weight" any chance I can.
  • glormmartin
    glormmartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought one on impulse without really researching it, but I figure that if you do it while you're sitting on the sofa or waiting for laundry to dry it's better than nothing. A few calories burned is better than just sitting. Of course this is in addition to a regular exercise routine when you have a bit of spare time, like 5 or 10 mins but not enough for a real workout....I'm trying to start a new healthier lifestyle from a mostly sedentary one. I'm hoping it goes well.