Bodymedia vs. Polar

mandijo
mandijo Posts: 618 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm looking to getting an HRM with our tax return when it comes, and the majority of people on the site use the Polar brands, but I've heard about Bodymedia which also has me interested with the features you can use when plugging it into the computer. Bodymedia just has amazing features and I'm not sure which one would be worth getting. For those who have either, can you tell me your thoughts on the pros and cons?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I use the BodyMedia product. You have to remember that the BodyMedia FIT is NOT a HRM - so you have to look at what each product does and what it's meant for, and determine which is best for you. Quick summary:

HRM: Designed for use only while exercising - does NOT accurately calculate calories burned during non-continuous exercise (casual activity, weight-lifting, etc.). Many HRMs are waterproof, can be used while swimming. Fairly affordable, Polar ranges from affordable to very expensive, depending on what particular product you get - wide range of features on the more expensive products.

BodyMedia FIT: Designed to be worn 24/7 (with about an hour off a day to recharge, download data, etc.). Still a larger margin of error on calculating calories burned during casual activity - +/- 10% vs only 5% for continuous exercise activity. NOT waterproof - cannot be worn while swimming. Also acts as a pedometer and will analyze your sleep quality (how long you're actually asleep vs how long you're lying down) if you wear it while sleeping. The BodyMedia FIT is more expensive than most Polars (other than the top of the line models).

The reason I bought the BodyMedia FIT is because I wanted something that would estimate my calories all day - not just while doing continuous exercise. I can see how I burn more on days where I run errands after work or stay up late doing dishes and lots of housework. Granted, it is only an estimate - but all these devices are, and at least this one was specifically designed to be fairly accurate for use ALL day, unlike HRMs. If you really only want something for exercise calories and aren't interested in the sleep/pedometer features, or really want something that can be used while swimming, you're better of with an HRM.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I went Polar mainly b/c bodymedia wasn't compatible with mac products and that's what I use. :) I love it! I just wear it when I workout and then log just the calories that I burned. :) Good luck with your choice and hope you'll enjoy whatever you get.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that! I still think I'd like the Bodymedia better! I like knowing my whole day! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.