Unexplained Weight Gain

Options
Hey guys!

So obviously right now I am totally freaking out about my unexplained weight gain. Here's my story:

During my summer I was in Italy four 5 weeks and ate a healthy Mediterranean diet and did light exercise. When I returned from a home I weighed in at 127 lbs. I was very happy since this is my lowest weight since high school! So was pretty happy, and continued to eat a balanced diet until my period was coming, and began having cravings, so I had pizza a few nights, drinking normal coke etc. When my period came around I was at 132, which is normal for me, since I gain around 5 lbs every time during PMS and throughout menstruation.

However it has been more than a week now, and my weight still remains at 131! I know it's only 4 lbs but it's driving my crazy. I do cardio four times a week, as well as one day of strength exercise, and generally eat pretty healthy, drink plenty of water and get a good amount of sleep every night.

Why won't my weight go back down? What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!! :sad:

Replies

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Because bodies are not cars. You don't put the fuel in then have a little meter to watch it go back down again. It sticks sometimes, and just hangs there until one day it catches up with itself and the weight will suddenly drop.

Bet you next week you'll be back to normal. Womens bodies are funny things.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    annnnd coca cola does not contain fat :wink:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It took me three weeks to lose my period weight from last month.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A lot of european countries use a lot less preservatives in their foods and causes less water retention especially if you were in southern italy where its generally considered bad juju to eat food with preservatives. To be completely honest its probably just being back on a different diet.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It took me three weeks to lose my period weight from last month.

I never did lose the period weight from last month :angry: Imagine my delight when shark week rolled around again, bringing with it another 3 pounds to join his chubby friends -____-
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You went from light exercise, back to strength training. I would guess water retention.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I never did lose the period weight from last month :angry: Imagine my delight when shark week rolled around again, bringing with it another 3 pounds to join his chubby friends -____-

Yeah, I've lost about 3.5 pounds in the last eight days...just in time for the bloating to start back up! :drinker: :indifferent:
  • hookilau
    Options
    You went from light exercise, back to strength training. I would guess water retention.

actually, I've been playing with the settings to see what MFP would say as far as that dumb prediction thing it does.
    :grumble: Don't know why I let that get to me, but it does.

I increased my calories to maintenance when I started a new weight training program.
    Along with that, came an increase in carbs. I was shocked to see what the increased cal & carbs did for my training & have progressed a great deal.

That's when the water weight started piling on...shark week + increased carbs + heavier training = up a total of 6#'s :sad:

I know it's just water....I HOOope it's just water :explode:

I cried uncle after a mere month when shark week rolled around for the second time & the scale kept going higher.
    Lowered cals & carbs and the scale is moving in the right direction now. Though I have to admit that the gym yesterday was challenging. Had to dig a little deeper than last week for DL.

It's just water, but I have to admit, it started to get to me =/

If it's not water, then the calculators are right & I'm over estimating my daily activity level & at 5' tall & 45 yrs old, 2000 calories is too much for me =P