Veggie spaghetti?

Options
independant2406
independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
So my hubby bought one of those Veggie spaghetti making thingies a few weeks ago. I'm thinking of trying it out this weekend.

Has anyone tried it and does it work? It kind of sounds awesome, but then again zucchini noodles could be super slimy and gross too. Are they?

Would love to hear what other peoples experiences are and any recipes you found that were a success.

Replies

• QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini, in fact I had some yesterday while the kids have regular pasta. I slice thin like angel hair size. Then put in strainer and coat with salt, put over a bowl or dish to catch water. Can cover with something-I let mine sit between half hour to an hour depending when we are eating. Then rinse very well-I set strainer into a large bowl and fill with water so get all the salt off. Then squeeze or squish out the extra water. Recipes say to cook them first but I don't. Just add half cup of sauce and cook in microwave covered for 2 minutes comes out perfect for me. You wont taste the extra salt by the way, it is just used to pull water out. Otherwise it will be a huge watery mess. I made that mistake the first time I cut long strips to use as lasagna noodles long ago :)
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lyndadestounis
    lyndadestounis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise and bake for about 40 min cut side down.Let it cool a bit and remove seeds.Then loosen the stands away from the peel and put chili on top Love this. No reason spaghetti sauce wouldn't work.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    So my hubby bought one of those Veggie spaghetti making thingies a few weeks ago. I'm thinking of trying it out this weekend.

Has anyone tried it and does it work? It kind of sounds awesome, but then again zucchini noodles could be super slimy and gross too. Are they?

Would love to hear what other peoples experiences are and any recipes you found that were a success.
    The BEST is to just use Spaghetti Squash...it lives up to its name!! Just roast it with EVOO and salt and pepper and pull it out with a fork. Totally awesome and tastes better than pasta! I also enjoy roasted cauliflower with spaghetti sauce!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just sautee mine for a couple minutes, they don't get mushy.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise and bake for about 40 min cut side down.Let it cool a bit and remove seeds.Then loosen the stands away from the peel and put chili on top Love this. No reason spaghetti sauce wouldn't work.

Spaghetti squash is awesome and in season, but I think she is talking about one of those devices that spiral cuts zuchinni into noodles. BTW, I have learned about spaghetti squash that if you bake it whole first and then slice it it is super easy to cut in half (as opposed to how tough it is to slice raw). You just need pot holders or something to handle it, but it cooks perfectly that way too.

Sorry OP, I haven't had the zuchinni noodles. There are a lot of recipes out there for it though...I know Skinnytaste.com has made a few. I'm sure if you read one of her recipes she'll share any tips on preparing.
  • robert5891
    Options
    I've used one with zucchini and love it! I find veggie noodles, whether spaghetti squash or "zoodles", absorb the flavors of my pasta sauce WAY better than dried pasta. Now, if I'm making fresh homemade pasta, there is no comparison as fresh pasta trumps all!
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash. I came from a pasta-lovin' Italian home; these have been a life-saver to me. Put a healthy Bolognese sauce and it, and you are in heaven. :)
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So much great advice. Thank you everyone.

I'll probably try the zucchini noodles first and then the spaghetti squash to see which one we like best. I really appreciate all the advice!

I'm on the hunt for recipes right now.!
  • MoMoManda
    MoMoManda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love ZOODLES! I have a Veggetti - the cost is about $10-$15. I just saute the zoodles with a little oil and they are not slimy at all! Once you put the sauce on - you probably won't notice anyway. Good luck!
  • MACJL
    MACJL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would jump in here! Just this week a friend gave me a Spaghetti Squash and I made a marinara sauce with fresh tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic, red peppers and veggie crumbles! Yummm! Also, I just received my Vegetarian Times magazine and they have a whole section in there on recipes for Spaghetti Squash!

Enjoy! The calories are low and it's so enjoyable.
  • kylieannfran
    kylieannfran Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've used zucchini, summer squash & carrots! I love Zoodles!
    Sauté in a little EVOO and season to taste and almost anything goes good on them .
  • PhoebeGrey
    Options
    The trick is to just blanch the veggie noodles. Bring your salted water to a boil, drop in your noodles for about a minute, they'll turn bright green and remove (preferably with a spider strainer) with a slotted spoon to drain and you have it. Obviously this is done at the last minute, after your sauce and everything else is prepared.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Love mine also. Does such a fantastic job. I have had it with sauce but last time I sautéed with butter, garlic and put Parmesan cheese on. Sooooo good
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use zuchinni, the trick is to only sautee it for a minute-otherwise it gets watery and slimy and gross.
  • Annie78red
    Options
    I made zucchini with a vegetti last night! Saute garlic cloves with some EVO, add the zucchini, toss a few times, add sauce to pan long enough to heat sauce. It was awesome!
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, they work.
    My husband isn't a squash fan but will eat zucchini - go figure.
    We've done it with zucchini.
    Be careful because those cutter things are sharp. Use the guard thing... then just discard or cut the remainder and don't do like I did and try to cut it all in the Veggetti. *sigh*
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHH I've wanted one of these for so longgggggg - executive decision: getting one :bigsmile:
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I do like spaghetti squash but LOVE the zucchini noodles! Especially when I want a nice rich meaty sauce, using the zucchini balances out the meal so it's a decent calorie count (and often there's room for a nice glass of wine).

Last time I made them, I sautéed some awesome local Italian sausage (out of the casing), then once it was cooked added a large can of San Marzano tomatoes. I let it simmer while I cut the Zoodles, then sauteed them with a bit of spray olive oil, then added 1/4 cup of water to the pan and put the lid on. Two minutes later, I strained and squeezed out the noodles and topped with sauce. It was awesome and both my husband and I ate it two nights in a row.

I think it would be awesome in a stir fry or with a creamy sauce as well.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Check out inspiralized.com. It's a blog of recipes made from spiralizing vegetables. The recipes are awesome, and she has several how to videos as well.