Anyone run at night?

Options
Many days the only time I have to exercise is after the kids are in bed (8pm). Now we've gotten to the point in the year that it's already dark at that time. I have a gym membership but if there isn't snow on the ground, I like to run outside when I can. I haven't run in the dark yet but I'm considering it. I'd wear a reflective vest and I'm considering a headlamp. I live in a relatively affluent suburb and I'd be running on the sidewalk through the neighborhood.

I know it's better if I take someone with me, but at the moment, I don't have anyone who would go. And I really like running alone, anyway. It's my "me" time.

Thoughts?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I run at night all the time. Only you can judge how dangerous your neighbourhood is crime wise. The biggest danger is not being seen by cars a lot of areas I run don't have street lights. I wear a reflective top a head torch and a red led as well. You can never be too lit up.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Definitely run with the vest and a lamp; consider a red light that points behind you and a white for the front, especially if you are running in a neighborhood without street lights. I prefer to run on a lit road if I am running in dusk or early morning. Be careful that cars will rarely stop at stop lines, especially if they are making a right on red. They also rarely look to the right if they are making right on red in the early morning or evening because they don't assume anything is coming at them from the right, despite a pedestrian having that right of way in that situation (they just don't expect you to be there). having the light lets you shine it towards any car in the near lane to make absolutely sure they know you are there...not that I intentionally blind people, but i make sure they see me. I always hit cross lights and i always wait for the walk sign. you just gotta be smart!!!
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said - headlamps, lights, and reflective gear will be your new best friends. I, personally, do not feel completely safe running late at night in my neighborhood (not that it isn't safe, I am just a worrier) so I unfortunately get stuck at the gym running on the dreadmill sometimes... but it's the best I have to work with.

Just be safe and stay on the sidewalk when you can. Always make sure someone knows where you're running and how long you'll be gone, and all that.

I have gotten ice grips for my shoes in the past that really help when there is some ice on the ground that have helped a lot to prevent slipping and sliding all over the place.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love running at night. Safety wise, I feel fine in my neighborhood. I have a vest but hate wearing it. I need to get different relfective gear.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have been running at 4:30 in the morning at least once a week lately, and yes it is dark. I make sure to wear things with reflective strips, and I run on the road, facing traffic. I also have a modified route for these runs, but it works out because I have made this run one of my shorter runs of the week, 4~miles.

I'm thinking of investing in a headlamp, or something similar.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    im to scared to go at nite by myself. but i live in Kansas city, and lets face it, its not exactly the safest area lol. i do work out at nite but i go to the gym to do it. if i run/walk/jog it is during the day ONLY!!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I sometimes run in the morning before the sun is even close to coming up. My suggestions: take your phone, take pepper spray, wear a reflective vest/belt, wear a headlamp or knuckle lights, and walk/run your course in the daylight before your first night run. Also, try not to run with music so you can be aware of your surroundings. I run around my subdivision on the sidewalk. I ran my route a few days before my first morning run to find any uneven/dangerous spots that I didn't want to find the hard way in the dark.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    LOTS of great advice here, please heed it!

I used to run in the evenings (in the dark) as well, although I don't really run much at all anymore. I will say that where I live, the morning runners have a death wish. I have (barely) seen them running on the roads in the early AM without ANY reflective gear or lights. I even saw one woman running WITH the flow of traffic, no reflective gear, and wearing headphones! :noway:

If you run in the dark, assume that people will NOT see you and make yourself as visible as possible. Thank you.
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run at night especially when it is hot out during the day in the summer. As it gets darker earlier, I imagine I'll be still running in the dark even as it cools down. My neighbor hood is quiet and there isn't a lot of traffic. So far I'm just running in bright clothing. My biggest dilemma about running outside is what will happen if we have as cold a winter as we did last year. I already plan on running in all the snow and mix we get, but if it gets dangerously cold again (-20 to -40F wind chills), I don't have a back up.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've run into the night (starting as sunset) quite a few times. The main problem I encountered was visibility. Potholes and other trip hazards are very hard to avoid if you don't have good light. Also....It's a lot "scarier". Those monsters are always hiding in the shadows. Crime is also a concern, but that depends mostly on where you run. ~~Scott
  • Halcyon3608
    Halcyon3608 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I run at night because it's a nice compromise between a) not having to wake up early and b) still being pleasantly cool outside. I overheat really easily and it's one of my biggest workout barriers. The fitness room in my apartment building is set for 74 degrees and there are NO FANS, so it's torture for me to be in there. I'm running outside until it gets too cold (I refuse to bundle up because then I'll just sweat), and then I'll move to the fitness room and open the windows so it can be nice and cool in there.

As far as safety goes, I live in a goofy little neighborhood that's brand-new and surrounded by cornfields. I can't leave the neighborhood because there are no sidewalks outside of it, just narrow country roads with no shoulder. So, I do laps. There aren't many streetlights but it seems like every house has a security light that comes on when I get close, so I don't bother wearing a headlamp. Traffic is almost nonexistent past 7 pm and I run around 8. I don't wear headphones, but I do carry my phone so I can get cues from my C25K app.

ETA - somebody higher up mentioned not being able to see obstacles. The contrast between "stuff" and sidewalk is usually high enough that I can avoid rocks or clumps of dirt, but the biggest problem I've had is TOADS! There's a wet meadow in the middle of the neighborhood and the toads just POUR out of it starting at dusk.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel safe in my neighborhood, but to be fair most people wouldn't but that is more of a perception issue. People tend to let their guard done with peaceful areas. Just keep to the rule of facing traffic.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I deal with personal safety in my day job and one of the key bits of advice is NOT to wear headphones! This is reiterated by the Suzy Lamplugh Trust which might be worth a gander for some practical advice on personal safety.

It does all depend on the neighbourhood though. I'll happilly go out where I live and run in the dark with headphones (it's populated, off-road on dedicated pathways in populated areas). I do have particular routes that I use at night. Going running and watching the sun set is a most awesome experience.

Edit - If I do run in the dark it is generally early evening, never after 8pm. Just because I like to be tucked up on the sofa by that time of day! :yawn:
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I often run before dawn or after dark. I live in the country so no street lights or sidewalks. I run facing traffic wearing bright colors, a reflective vest & flashing LED lights. I've been told I'm very visible, but I watch out for cars & never assume they see me. I see many other walkers, joggers & cyclists on my route. Some dress well others not so much, but the locals are aware that people run on these roads. There are many trails nearby but interestingly enough after dark I feel safer on the roads.

Being able to see the ground is almost as important as being able to be seen. I have knuckle lights, but would like to find a comfortable headlamp. An injury because I stepped in a hole or tripped over something would put a damper on any future runs.

Lastly, in the country some wildlife is more active just before dawn or after dusk. I scared myself silly when I almost ran up to a moose, and that family of skunks was not happy to see me.
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't run at night, but I do run in the mornings before the sun comes up. I just make sure that I have light clothing and wear reflective accessories. I actually find that people are happier to let you cross the road when its dark out then when they can see you clearly in the daylight. Figures.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're running on the sidewalk, either bring a bright light or check it out during the day to make sure that there are no uneven slabs, nasty cracks, potholes, or anything else that might trip you up during the run.

I haven't been running at night since I took up running again, but I used to do it a lot, without problems. Reflective clothing and lights are your friends. You might try an Amphipod Xinglet with LEDs:

http://www.amphipod.com/products/visibility/ledslighted-bands/xinglet-flash-led

Also, assume that drivers won't see you, unless there is evidence that they have done so. I would advise against wearing headphones, since your ears will alert you to approaching cars, but then I don't wear headphones during the day either.
  • elementxgirl
    Options
    Lots of great advice already! The other thing I adjust while running outside and especially at night is the volume of my music. At the gym, I'll crank it up to tune out any ambient noise, but while outside, I definitely turn it down or often just put one ear bud in.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running in the dark. For some reason, I can run longer when I can't see where I'm going... That said, headlamp, vest, and blinky red light on your back are the minimum. I am lit up like a g-d Christmas tree when I'm out in the dark. And invest in a GOOD headlamp. It's not about what you can see, it's about how soon someone can see YOU.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Most of my running is during the day, but I do like running at night. More relaxing I think.

Make sure you carry pepper spray or a knife.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Surely it depends where you are? I don't run but I do walk my dog and do all sorts of other activities without lights. Lights spoil your peripheral vision. My torch is solely for if I'm looking for something.

Of course, if there's traffic all bets are off.