Biggest Loser Season 16: A bit bleh?

Options
TitikiOoh
TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
The former athletes who got fat angle really isn't doing anything for me. Where is the family drama? And really, no one was over 400 lbs? How can we be shocked that someone got to 600 lbs and cheer on them to lose weight when no one is at 600 lbs to begin with?

Replies

• kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I actually liked it...it was more relate-able to me than past seasons. People who were previously fit that let themselves go---who aren't the 400-500 LBS but perhaps a more "average" overweight. I always thought that it didn't seem right that they always pick the super obese people to be on the show since I don't think it is a true representation (or perhaps average) of the overweight population.

Plus I like the new trainers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    New trainers, different genre of people, no drama. When it's "new" it takes time to see if the change was worth it. I'm already annoyed by the female trainer ALWAYS referring to "fear or love". Blech.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Ha!! ninerbuff...my husband said the same thing about her. And don't you think they picked two new trainers who kind of look like Bob and Jillian? I haven't decided if I like Bob' snew role or not, either.
  • TitikiOoh
    Options
    Oh Yes, the Fear and Love. I know they need to find their catchphrase, but that one is just so wishy washy hippy BS. And there's no mean trainers!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I miss Jillian and Bob!:sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Eh, I turned it off before the weigh-in. Personally, I've started to prefer the shows that follow a single person for a year +... like Extreme Weight Loss or My 600-lb Life. The new lady trainer was getting on my nerves, b/c she kept referencing her "fat' family. The new male trainer was hot, but also kind of annoying.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's not perfect...for sure no JM, but I loved it. I find it so inspiring. And, aside from my OUTLANDER obsession, the only TV I really watch is TBL. I find it inspiring and don't allow myself to watch it sitting down. I only rest during the commercials. lol
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat we're watching reality shows and expecting actual reality? ;)

I missed part of it due to work but FWIW... new boy trainer and new girl trainer are lovely eye candy. I like the former athlete angle because how many of us haven't gotten on the scale and said "How the F*** did I let this happen?!"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    My DW was salivating at the new male trainer. Lol, but he kept saying "Well being a dad and husband". The editing is pretty bad if you keep hearing the same terminology over and over again.
    I don't mind that the trainers aren't mean. I think it sells better for reality TV if the trainers are kinda mean though.
    I'm tough with my clients, but it's tough love. No excuses. Just get it done.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TabithaMichelle85
    Options
    I like the Fear or Love reference.... my baby brother just left for the Marines and my love and respect pushes me everyday to to do well and work my heart out so that when he sees me again he will be so impressed and surprised.... Love is what pushes me... fear will just tear you down and keep you from even trying... I like her
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I LOVE watching The Biggest Loser, it is one of the "reality" TV shows that I will watch regularly. It inspires me every time I watch it. Although tonight when I was watching it, I was quickly reminded why I hate it. Only on that show would losing 8lbs in a week be considered a failure and you would be looked down upon by your team mates and trainer. That being said, I will watch next week, and all season. Also, the female trainer Jen, is extremely hot.
  • twinkle150
    twinkle150 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok I can relate to the overweight high school athlete...but Olympic level or professional...ahhh not really. I think they are going for the athletes because they are expecting high weight loss from the muscle memory. Just more reason to make the rest of us feel bad for ONLY losing 2 or 3 pounds a week. 30 pounds in 1 weeks ..REALLY? How is that even possible..or healthy.. Has anyone ever noticed that in the beginning of weigh ins it shirtless for the guys and bare mid drifts for the girls...but at season end..everyone is covered..what are they hiding under the shirts...the excess skin from losing weight too quickly?
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ya think the weight loss is really in one week? Is it really possible that Mike lost 38lbs? That's almost 10% of body weight!

I read somewhere that it's not actually one week, and they make them eat and drink before first weigh in etc...

I have a love hate relationship with that program but I can't bring myself to stop watching ut
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not impressed at all by the new trainers, didn't like Bob Harper's new role. Probably will not watch this season.
  • TitikiOoh
    Options
    Ya think the weight loss is really in one week? Is it really possible that Mike lost 38lbs? That's almost 10% of body weight!

I read somewhere that it's not actually one week, and they make them eat and drink before first weigh in etc...

I have a love hate relationship with that program but I can't bring myself to stop watching ut

According to Kai from season 3, a week was everything from 5 days to 2 weeks. And they dehydrated before weigh-ins to push the loss higher.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    At least there is no Jillian. I never liked her.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    New trainers, different genre of people, no drama. When it's "new" it takes time to see if the change was worth it. I'm already annoyed by the female trainer ALWAYS referring to "fear or love". Blech.

IDEA Fitness member

The first time Jen said it the first time I knew it wouldn't be the last. I was hoping I was wrong but I wasn't. Other than that I loved everything else about her. Don't know why but I kept getting drawn to her arms. They are big, but not too bit.:flowerforyou:

As far as the season, I am reserving judgement yet. I actually call BS on some of the "athletes". Great, you were an athlete in high school. So what, a lot of people were. I have seen a lot of high school foot ball players pack it on after high school and college. Now the ones that went to the Olympics or have Super Bowl rings and then let themselves get fat. Those are the athletes gone bad. The others are just fill in because BL production couldn't find enough of the others.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I personally like it , but the crying.......over and over . Sheese, everyones crying about their past glory days......and then the one from last nite that lost it, when the Doctor brought out the wheel chair..........sheese

too much crying...and the trainers all think that they are professional psychologists, looking for reasons why these people eat........they want to know what makes them eat.........yearh

because they love food.........they love the taste, the smell, the feel, the whole enchilada...........get a life

Ill watch a few more, then will most likely lose interest..............put a nail in it, its finished
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I never liked how they get disappointed if they don't have a huge weight loss every week. I would love to lose 2 lbs in a week
  • twinkle150
    twinkle150 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah..so easy..a 5 minute talk with trainer and they are suddenly supposed to be over their years of eating issues