Change up your routine!

cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I think that most of us tend to do the same workouts again and again. We find something we like, we are good at it, we burn a ton of calories, whatever. I am a die-hard spinner and try to spin 3-4 times a week and hit the cardio machines at the gym when I can't do a class. (I throw weights in as well). Well, I got zumba Wii for Christmas for those times I can't get to the gym (or really, just don't want to leave my warm, comfy house!). So, I did that this morning for an hour. Did I burn as many calories as I do spinning? Nope, no where close (435 compared to over 600 for the same amount of time) But, I did break a sweat and I am already sore in places I don't touch in a spin class. I'm feeling it in my hips, my waist and my obliques. So the moral of this story is change it up! Resolve next year to try some new exercises/workouts. You might find a new love!

Replies

• you are likely to see a weight or inches change if you change it up too. Same goes for changing up the food, though that is much harder for me since i cook what is easy, living by myself. :-)
  • I change my routines every week, and whenever I hit a fat loss plateau I cycle in/out carbs, increase calorie intake, or whatever else, and it seems to start right back up again.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    I'm changing up my food a little vs. my workout right now because I love to run and it's what continues to motivate me. When it's warm again in the spring, I'm trying rock climbing. ..very, very excited!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Great post! It's called cross training. Most elite athletes do it so that they improve in their sport. That's why I have football players in my Pilates classes and cheerleaders in the weigh room. :wink: I recommend to anyone I'm training to do a variety of exercise including strength, cardio, and flexibility so that they don't get stuck in a rut. Strength can be anything from calistenics to weight training to kettlebells, etc. and should be 2-3 times per week. Cardio is anything that gets your heart rate up and lasts for at least 10 minutes but preferably between 30 and 60 minutes and should be 5 days a week. Flexibility is yoga, Pilates, or any other stretching and should be 10 minutes minimum daily. So, mix it up and have fun and see the amazing results from doing different things!
  • kleeper80
    kleeper80 Posts: 69 Member
    I got Zumba Fitness for the Wii for Christmas and I love it! It's so much fun!!
This discussion has been closed.