Completely new to strength training & weights

Options
Throughout my journey I've basically stuck with doing cardio to drop the pounds, and now I've been interested in introducing weights or strength training. I did a few reps on the machines for your biceps, triceps and all of that and I'm experiencing horrible arm pain. I was told that it is normal at first since I'm not used to doing it, but is it possible I overdid it? Is there a best way to do weights?
I've never read much on it because I thought it would be pretty simple but I'm starting to think I'm very wrong..

I'm not trying to build any muscle at this point but it is welcomed, but more so trying to tone up my chest and arms. I read you can't really build muscle eating at a deficit. so should I even be lifting weights at this time? I usually stick to pretty light weights depending on how much it hurts I bounce from 10, 30, and occasionally I'll try 50. I've been doing 2 sets of 10 reps on each machine (Biceps, triceps, Abdominals, etc) Not at each weight increment, I choose which I feel most comfortable with.

Any tips, or workout plans involving weights would be great, because I've gone into this completely blind and after two sessions of weights I feel like my arms are going to fall off. I've been using machines instead of free weights, which method is best?

I also wanted to know how frequently should I be doing weights a week.. I normally do my cardio 5x a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I've done weights Monday, and Thursday (while still sore from Monday) I just wanted to try it because I also read that you continue to burn calories even after you're done weight lifting...

I'm all over the place in this post, but please help!!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's definitely normal to experience DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) after lifting. You should definitely be doing some kind of strength training and eating plenty of protein to retain as much muscle mass as possible while eating at a deficit. Start light and increase weight as you become more comfortable.

I personally recommend free weights. Maybe look into a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For safety reasons you should prioritize strength training before cardio, and structure your cardio around your strength training. Attempting to start a strength workout when you're already fatigued from your cardio is a recipe for disaster.

Stick with free weights rather than machines. Follow a program such as the Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, or other similar ones.

Soreness like what you're experiencing is normal for someone who is totally untrained.
  • cannonball99
    cannonball99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm new to strength training myself and started about two months ago. Like yourself, I was trying to drop some weight and on a calorie deficit and unsure as to the merit of strength training. There are many reasons to do it even if you aren't going to gain muscle due to the calorie deficit, foremost maintaining what muscle you do have. I'll let those with more experience and knowledge elaborate on this but mostly just wanted to share my personal experience after 2 months of strength training.

Even if I arguably haven't gained any muscle, I have definitely gained in strength and body awareness. This translates into feeling better physically during the course of the day and many of my various ailments (bad neck and knee) have gone away. Even though I haven't lost much weight yet, many people have commented that I look fitter and have far better posture. Oh and I'm sleeping better! I'm comfortably lifting significantly more than when I started and continue to push myself each week. Another benefit of starting this process while trying to drop weight is that you have the chance to learn proper form and get used to working out, so when you are at your goal weight it should be easier to try and bulk up with muscles if you want to.

On soreness, after my first two days I couldn't even lay down comfortably enough to sleep! Yes, that means I overdid it. The body does adapt though and now I find that soreness doesn't last beyond 48 hours for me. I started off doing weights three times a week. Now I've switched to a five day split, working on a different muscle group each time. Likely this is overkill, but I am enjoy it so I don't mind. One tip I will give you is that in the beginning, don't worry about lifting heavy for the first couple of weeks. Focus on understanding the movement and form required, which muscle is targeted and trying to feel that muscle so that you form a mind-muscle connection. Then you can start to push on the weights. This approach has served me very well. Also, I initially was very nervous about the barbell and dumbells preferring the machines, but now its the other way around.

Hope this helps.
  • gelove84
    gelove84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Its sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for stronglifts or starting strength. These programs are 3 days a week with rest days in between. They are compound exercises that promote overall strength. I just started it myself and I think both are great programs to begin with. The key to both is learning proper form so you get the most benefit and don't get injured.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You seem to be at a pretty good age where you'll notice strength gains almost instantly when you start training properly with good technique.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's definitely normal to experience DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) after lifting. You should definitely be doing some kind of strength training and eating plenty of protein to retain as much muscle mass as possible while eating at a deficit. Start light and increase weight as you become more comfortable.

I personally recommend free weights. Maybe look into a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Good luck!
    Glad to hear that it is normal. I thank you for your response, I’ll definitely stay at a comfortable weight until I learn proper form.
    For safety reasons you should prioritize strength training before cardio, and structure your cardio around your strength training. Attempting to start a strength workout when you're already fatigued from your cardio is a recipe for disaster.

Stick with free weights rather than machines. Follow a program such as the Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, or other similar ones.

Soreness like what you're experiencing is normal for someone who is totally untrained.
    I have heard that it is best to do the strength training first. I will look into all of the things you have suggested to me. Stronglifts sound interesting, and I definitely need to check out the Rules of lifting!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'm new to strength training myself and started about two months ago. Like yourself, I was trying to drop some weight and on a calorie deficit and unsure as to the merit of strength training. There are many reasons to do it even if you aren't going to gain muscle due to the calorie deficit, foremost maintaining what muscle you do have. I'll let those with more experience and knowledge elaborate on this but mostly just wanted to share my personal experience after 2 months of strength training.

Even if I arguably haven't gained any muscle, I have definitely gained in strength and body awareness. This translates into feeling better physically during the course of the day and many of my various ailments (bad neck and knee) have gone away. Even though I haven't lost much weight yet, many people have commented that I look fitter and have far better posture. Oh and I'm sleeping better! I'm comfortably lifting significantly more than when I started and continue to push myself each week. Another benefit of starting this process while trying to drop weight is that you have the chance to learn proper form and get used to working out, so when you are at your goal weight it should be easier to try and bulk up with muscles if you want to.

On soreness, after my first two days I couldn't even lay down comfortably enough to sleep! Yes, that means I overdid it. The body does adapt though and now I find that soreness doesn't last beyond 48 hours for me. I started off doing weights three times a week. Now I've switched to a five day split, working on a different muscle group each time. Likely this is overkill, but I am enjoy it so I don't mind. One tip I will give you is that in the beginning, don't worry about lifting heavy for the first couple of weeks. Focus on understanding the movement and form required, which muscle is targeted and trying to feel that muscle so that you form a mind-muscle connection. Then you can start to push on the weights. This approach has served me very well. Also, I initially was very nervous about the barbell and dumbells preferring the machines, but now its the other way around.

Hope this helps.
    Yes, we sound completely similar! I need to learn proper form, I literally just watch everyone else who is doing weights that look similar to me and try to follow through.. I’m going to do some research about the topic and try not to over do it! I’m very nervous about it because there are many intimidating looking people doing weights. I’m not trying to be a body builder by any means, just look healthier and feel better. I also think even if there are no gains, even retaining my current muscle and making it look more appealing would make a worlds difference on my body image for myself. Thank you for your story, it’s just what I needed to keep myself on track!
    Its sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for stronglifts or starting strength. These programs are 3 days a week with rest days in between. They are compound exercises that promote overall strength. I just started it myself and I think both are great programs to begin with. The key to both is learning proper form so you get the most benefit and don't get injured.
    Thank you for the information, I will definitely look into those. I’m seeing a lot of people bring up stronglifts, so this just might be the route to go. 3 days a week does not sound too bad at all. I want to avoid injury at all costs!

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You seem to be at a pretty good age where you'll notice strength gains almost instantly when you start training properly with good technique.
    Cool, I’m gonna look into it! Thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This.

If you don't strength train and get adequate protein while in a deficit a large % of your loss will come from lean muscle, increasingly so as you have less fat to lose.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting into strength/weight training. Everyone has good feedback for you and I concur with all that. I do want to point out that you don't necessarily want to mimic the movements that others are doing because more than half the time, they are not using the free weights or machines correctly.

Don't be shy about asking the gym manager for advice on proper form. Better yet, save your pennies and invest in 2-4 personal training sessions, asking the trainer to emphasize proper use of the machines and the best exercises you need to meet your goals. This would be an invaluable investment in yourself. I did this and discovered that I WAS doing some things wrong. Once I started doing things right, I experienced less DMOS and progressed quickly.
  • dwozniak16
    Options

This.

If you don't strength train and get adequate protein while in a deficit a large % of your loss will come from lean muscle, increasingly so as you have less fat to lose.

I'm going to have to watch the protein consumption. I most likely probably do not get enough of it.
    Thanks for the advice!

Good for you for getting into strength/weight training. Everyone has good feedback for you and I concur with all that. I do want to point out that you don't necessarily want to mimic the movements that others are doing because more than half the time, they are not using the free weights or machines correctly.

Don't be shy about asking the gym manager for advice on proper form. Better yet, save your pennies and invest in 2-4 personal training sessions, asking the trainer to emphasize proper use of the machines and the best exercises you need to meet your goals. This would be an invaluable investment in yourself. I did this and discovered that I WAS doing some things wrong. Once I started doing things right, I experienced less DMOS and progressed quickly.

That is a really good point. I actually did not think of that. They have free trainers at my gym that are there for advice and to help new people out. I will see if one of them are working tonight when I go for my workout, and see if they can help me.
    The DOMS is a pain, literally. I felt like I couldn't even lift my arms up to drive my car when I was leaving the gym. It's slowly starting to feel better. But It definitely does not feel good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The DOMS get to be less and less over time!! You can do this!!
  • dwozniak16
    Options

I'm just more so concerned about giving myself enough rest in between weight sessions.
    Like should I do weights on a day that I'm sore? I've thought to do weights Monday, Wednesday, and Friday giving myself a day in between each session. Does that sound ok?
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you look at my pics, I took the first 2 a few months ago and that new pic last week, I've been eating at a deficit and doing resistance training, I don't lift weights, what I do is push ups, squats, planks, lunges and bicep curls (with a resistance band) and in my opinion I think it's working pretty good, I don't live near a gym which is why I don't lift weights.
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I'm just more so concerned about giving myself enough rest in between weight sessions.
    Like should I do weights on a day that I'm sore? I've thought to do weights Monday, Wednesday, and Friday giving myself a day in between each session. Does that sound ok?
    That's exactly what you should do, you should rest muscles the day after working out
  • pauldoxsee
    pauldoxsee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Beachbody Body Beast program. It's a DVD based program with complete instructions and dietary guide for starting an effective weight program. It's far better than guessing about what you are doing and wasting time and risking injury.
  • gelove84
    gelove84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Lift every other day 3 days a week. You will probably be sore the first week. Don't overdue it initially. That is why everyone recommends stronglifts or starting strength. You start with the bar and work your way up each training session. The hardest part is to follow it and not add to much weight too early. Don't be ashamed of lifting the lighter weight, you will be lifting heavy soon enough. Don't skip a workout, it will actually help the soreness. Trust the program.
  • dwozniak16
    Options
    I've only been at it about a week, and I can already see a difference in my biceps as crazy as that sounds.
    They seem less jiggly, and more firm. and the muscle definition is more prominent.. Maybe it's a combination of slimming down a bit and working on strength lightly. I feel ridiculous noticing.. but it is noticeable! I'm not one to flex and check out how I'm doing but for some reason this morning I did, and I'm starting to see great results overall for the whole body.
  • pauldoxsee
    pauldoxsee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Take photos and measurements periodically. It's the easiest way to validate what you are starting to feel!
  • dwozniak16
    Options
    Take photos and measurements periodically. It's the easiest way to validate what you are starting to feel!

That's a good idea! I will start doing that so I can do progress shots eventually once I get to post my success story.