Best horror movies!

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    The Strangers with Liv Tyler

The fact that the killers never ever really say anything, that is based on actual events really creeps me out!

Good one!!! Scared the Shyte outa me because this kinda stuff can really happen!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    High Tension
    The Descent (European version)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Edit: forgot to mention it was about cats.

LOL!

hollywooddawg beat me to it. The Strangers has to be hands down one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

ETA - Did you know it's loosely based on reality? Partially from the writer's past where a series of break-ins happened in his neighborhood and partially from the Manson killings. Yikes!
    Also remembered...a kid came to our door with a white mask that year and it totally freaked me out!

We watched a couple of disturbing ones recently:
    The Purge
    Tortured

I'm a big fan of zombie movies and shows - for me it's less about the scare factor and more about the apocolyptic survival of the characters.

You want cheesy horror? Hubs and I were obsessed with Troma films for a while (Toxic Avenger) and watched every movie they had available on Netflix (discs at the time). So gross and disturbing, it's funny.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    High Tension
    The Descent (European version)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)

Yeah Texas chainsaw massacre scared the crap out of me...i guess i was only 12 though. Damn my dad for making me watch it
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    The Strangers with Liv Tyler

The fact that the killers never ever really say anything, that is based on actual events really creeps me out!

Good one!!! Scared the Shyte outa me because this kinda stuff can really happen!

One night around Halloween, my son was home alone (he was 16) while my late husband and I went to haunted houses. My son was watching The Strangers. He was a little jumpy being by himself, so we went home early and parked around the corner. I snuck up to our sliding glass door, which is in our living room and tapped on it, then pressed myself against the house. My husband had walked around the house into our carport to find my son with our dog on the leash and a baseball bat in his hand. He said I tapped on the door just about the scene with the glass door in the movie. LOL
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    The Exorcist - she scares the hell out of me but I do laugh at some parts.
    A Nightmare on Elm Street - original, gotta love Freddy!
    Pretty much any Romeo zombie flick.

Oh, I watched The Bride of Frankenstein last year. First time I ever saw it. The Bride is in it for like 2 seconds at the end. Why was it not called "Frankenstein's Monster Gets Crapped on for an Hour"? Seems to fit better.
  • jspanman
    jspanman Posts: 686 Member
    I was scared to death of the hammer house horrors when I was younger lol
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Cabin in The Woods
    Killer Klowns from Outerspace
    Drag me to Hell
    Ginger Snaps
    They Live
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Would have to say any Stephen King movie!! Huge fan and would watch anything done by him
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Would have to say any Stephen King movie!! Huge fan and would watch anything done by him

EXCEPT Maximum Overdrive. The short story was good, but the movie sucked out loud. Ironically, he directed it himself and admitted that he was EXTREMELY coked up at the time.

I like a most of movies on this list, but I am surprised that Hostel (the first one) and The Devil's Rejects were never mentioned.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    When a Stranger Calls (the original... not the crappy remake)
    Carrie
    The Exorcist (the music... Tubular Bells... still makes the hair on my neck stand on end)
    Halloween (original... not the crappy Rob Zombie remake)
    Friday the 13th
    Audition
    Ju-on
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member

EXCEPT Maximum Overdrive. The short story was good, but the movie sucked out loud. Ironically, he directed it himself and admitted that he was EXTREMELY coked up at the time.

I like a most of movies on this list, but I am surprised that Hostel (the first one) and The Devil's Rejects were never mentioned.

IMO, King's stories done by someone else can be awesome... when he's too heavily involved, I feel as if they get watered down... he sticks too closely to his vision (can't blame him.. they're his babies), but The Shining (heck, I forgot Shining on my list!) was perfection... his later version was... in a word.. madeforTVcrappola.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    I was just gonna add The Shining...

OK - Alien and The Others
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Idiocracy

I thought this was a documentary? I guess seeing the truth in it could make it a horror though :wink:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Jaws
    The Conjuring
    Exorcist
    Zombie movies, particularly the original Night of the Living Dead
    Aliens
    The Evil Dead
    Silence of the Lambs
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    28 Days Later
    Poltergeist
    The Omen

This guy covered it. I would like to add, personally though, Pet Sematary. The book is more disturbing, but the damn cat still gets me.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member

1. The haunting in Connecticut

If you're talking about the documentary that's been on TV. Absolutely awesome. Seriously. Knowing what the Snedeker family went through, yeah, that was some ****. After knowing that, THEN watching the movie, it pisses you off. If you've never seen the documentary or don't know the history behind it, I can see where it would probably scare the **** out of someone.

Idiocracy

Seriously. Scariest ****ing movie I've ever seen, because I can *seriously* see this happening. Zombies are not my biggest fear. THIS is.

PS: "Go away! Baitin'!"
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member

I'm just now realizing what a sick and twisted individual I am. The Devil's Rejects is one of my absolute FAVORITE movies of all time. There are SO many good quotes in that movie. I actually went through here and realized a lot of what's been mentioned- The Shining, Friday the 13th, Halloween (all but III), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (new and old), are some of my favorite movies. LOVE them. The only man to ever play Jason more than one in the Friday the 13th movies (Kane Hodder), I think is one of the finest men to ever walk the face of the earth. I probably have some issues. :drinker:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    The hills have eyes remake is one of the best horror movies I have ever seeing.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    The conjuring.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil! I rest my case with Army of Darkness!