Garmin Forerunner 410?

Options
Looking for any and all feedback on the Garmin Forerunner 410, please!

I should mention that I've read all about the calorie burn calculation inaccuracies and will only be using the Garmin for outdoor running. I have a Polar FT60 for cross-training that I love, but looking for a Garmin to help with my half and full marathon training.

I try to be a well-informed consumer and gather as much information as possible. I've been poking around the Garmin boards and Amazon reviews, but thought I'd see if MFPers had anything additional to say! I am looking at buying a Garmin by the end of February, so no huge rush on the purchase...yet!

TIA! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Would it be cheaper to add the Polar G1 or G3 GPS module to your FT60? I think this would give you the same functionalities without having to buy a new watch.

--Carter
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my Forerunner!!! Totally and utterly changed the way I run. I made the mistake of purchasing the heart-rate monitor to go with only to be disappointed that it will just track heart rate and not calories burned via heart rate (but it sounds like you figured that out).

I bought the 405 model (about $125 cheaper than the 410), which is what I would recommend for you unless you are really keen on training via heart rate...an approach that has it's pros and cons (most would recommend against it).

Good luck! When are your races?
  • skinnyack
    Options
    bump
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Would it be cheaper to add the Polar G1 or G3 GPS module to your FT60? I think this would give you the same functionalities without having to buy a new watch.

--Carter

Well I do have the Footpod as I was just getting into running when I bought the FT60 and wanted basic distance/speed info. I've learned that it's not super accurate and really meant for overall training. Although it's a great HRM, it leaves quite a bit to be desired in terms of training for marathons - I want the elevation/split/other output that the Polar FT60 doesn't provide even with a footpod or GPS sensor. Thanks for the advice/input:happy:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I have the forerunner 405 cx and absolutely love it. Garmin is so great with customer service and helped me select the right watch for me when I was shopping around. I'm not sure what the differences between the 410 and 405cx are but you cant go wrong with garmin, I'm so pleased (and I switched from Polar as well). I still get pretty good calorie burn numbers when I do gym work outs too...i just change the setting on my watch so it doesnt think im running anymore. When I lost weight I had to change my weight on the watch because I wasn't burning as many calories as when i was 20 pounds heavier. My only complaint would be that I cant use this watch while swimming (I use my timex iron-man watch for that). Good luck!.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Love, love, love my Forerunner!!! Totally and utterly changed the way I run. I made the mistake of purchasing the heart-rate monitor to go with only to be disappointed that it will just track heart rate and not calories burned via heart rate (but it sounds like you figured that out).

I bought the 405 model (about $125 cheaper than the 410), which is what I would recommend for you unless you are really keen on training via heart rate...an approach that has it's pros and cons (most would recommend against it).

Hmm. I've been looking at the 405/410 and seeing that there's not much of a difference between the two. I'm not big on training via heart rate (particularly when it comes to running) but would like to be able to know my heart-rate/calorie burned information even if it's off a bit. I'm so used to being able to know my calories burned that I think I'd be SO lost without it...it really drives me forward when I want to give up mid-run. Perhaps maybe the 405 with the HRM would be a better idea? I'm not restrained too much by a budget and don't mind spending more for better accuracy/functionality.

First 1/2 is Lake Placid in June. Then more than likely Rock 'n Roll 1/2 in Providence. And then the full is either Amica (Rhode Island) or NYC (if I get in via lottery)!

Thanks for your input/help!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options

Hmm. I've been looking at the 405/410 and seeing that there's not much of a difference between the two. I'm not big on training via heart rate (particularly when it comes to running) but would like to be able to know my heart-rate/calorie burned information even if it's off a bit. I'm so used to being able to know my calories burned that I think I'd be SO lost without it...it really drives me forward when I want to give up mid-run. Perhaps maybe the 405 with the HRM would be a better idea? I'm not restrained too much by a budget and don't mind spending more for better accuracy/functionality.

First 1/2 is Lake Placid in June. Then more than likely Rock 'n Roll 1/2 in Providence. And then the full is either Amica (Rhode Island) or NYC (if I get in via lottery)!

The 405 does give you calories burned but it computes that by your weight, how far you ran, how fast, etc. It also works great in bike mode because it takes into account the fact that you don't burn calories coasting downhill (brilliant!). I just ordered a Polar FT4 (I think) because I wanted to know what I was burning when working out in the gym.

Good luck getting into New York! Sounds like you have an awesome schedule planned!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I also have the 405 cx (got it about a month ago). So far I love it! A bit snowed in at the moment so no running for me! If you go to Amazon they had it on sale.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options

The 405 does give you calories burned but it computes that by your weight, how far you ran, how fast, etc. It also works great in bike mode because it takes into account the fact that you don't burn calories coasting downhill (brilliant!). I just ordered a Polar FT4 (I think) because I wanted to know what I was burning when working out in the gym.

Good luck getting into New York! Sounds like you have an awesome schedule planned!

Thanks!! Looks like I need to do some more research into 405 w/HRM vs. 410! I'm already excited for the snow to melt and to start running more again!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have the 405 and like it. I got mine off Ebay. I agree the HRM calories aren't accurate at all, but that's ok with me too. I did something to it this AM and ended up putting it in navigation mode on the kitchen counter it started beeping at me that "approaching turn" was coming up, when it was stationary on the charger :) Not sure how I did that, lol.

My favorite feature on it is the virtual trainer that tells me how far off the pace I want to be is. It takes just a minute for the GPS to kick in which I've heard is a complaint, but I've never had any problems with that.

I think the difference between the 405 and 410 is the size - I wanted smaller.