FitBit?

Shawna_831
Shawna_831 Posts: 316
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
My husband bought me a Fit Bit for Christmas. I have no clue what it even is. He set it up for me on-line and I still have no clue how to use it. Does anyone have one? Are they worth it? I'm ready to tell him to keep the stupid thing or take it back. I have a HRM watch and it works just fine with MFP.

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Got this from fitbit.com:

The Fitbit accurately tracks your calories burned, steps taken, distance traveled and sleep quality. The Fitbit contains a 3D motion sensor like the one found in the Nintendo Wii. The Fitbit tracks your motion in three dimensions and converts this into useful information about your daily activities.
    You can wear the Fitbit on your waist, in your pocket or on undergarments. At night, you can wear the Fitbit clipped to the included wristband in order to track your sleep. Anytime you walk by the included wireless base station, data from your Fitbit is silently uploaded in the background to Fitbit.com
  • rmsnipes
    rmsnipes Posts: 20 Member
    Sounds like a great tool....what a thoughtful hubby! I would like to have one of those.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    I actually followed this for quite sometime before it was readily available. Let me state that I dont own one nor have I ever owned one. Essentially the Fitbit is a Highly accurate and highly technical Pedometer. It tracks your movements and converts them to steps, and It converts steps taken into a calories burned. It is very accurate in its movement tracking and it also offers a cool sleep tracking feature. It also has the data uploaded to a site similar to MFP with food tracking and of course the data uploaded from the movements that the fitbit has tracked.

Is it better than a HRM? Probably not. But do you wear your HRM all day long? The fitbit would track all the stuff when you dont workout.

I opted not to go with a FitBit because it seemed limited. But it is pretty neat and does offer the sleep tracking.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I have a Fitbit, my hubby got it for me for my birthday. I love it. I wear it on my bra or my waist band. It tracks your steps, your calories burned, your sleep (it monitors how much you move during the night to tell you how frequently you woke up) and how active overall you were each day. It automatically syncs to the computer whenever you walk by it and uploads the date to their website, where they place everything for you in nice little graphs.
    If you want, you can also track your food intake, but honestly I find the food database here at MFP to be much more comprehensive.
    Since starting to wear my fit bit I am much more conscious of how many steps I take, aiming for that 10,000. Never realized how few steps I take at my office job all day! I have to make a solid effort to break 10,000.
    I do'n thave a HRM to compare it to, but from what I understand the Fit bit is smaller and easy to wear all day long so you can be consistent. But I can see the cons to the fit bit ie. it doesn't track non-step like movement, so it doesn't monitor strength training, bike riding, yoga, that kind of thing. I clip mine to my shoe during spinning class and that seems to work ok....
This discussion has been closed.