what's wrong with my HRM?

DancingDreamer
DancingDreamer Posts: 520
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
i wore it today while doing my 60 minute Zumba DVD and when i tested it out earlier this week i wore it when i went on a 30 minute walk. here's my problem: i am WAY more exhausted after an hour of Zumba than i am after walking for 30 minutes (sure the vast majority of it is uphill but still!). what is wrong with my HRM? did i do something wrong? i have a Sportline Women's 925 Solo Heart Rate Monitor. any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    not sure what your question is?
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    I am really not sure what you are asking.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I'm gonna guess she's saying the watch said she burned less calories in zumba than on the walk, and that doesn't make sense.

And the answer is, IMO, that she probably has an HRM that is just a watch and no strap, and she probably only touched it while her HR was fairly low during zumba and happened to touch it while her HR was up high during the walk.

the strapless kind are not accurate because they don't take fluctuations into consideration and you'd have to touch it every 30 seconds to be accurate.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,499 Member
    does your HRM comes with a chest strap? If so, maybe it need to be adjusted (snug) for a accurate reading. If no chest strap, sorry not sure what to say...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I'm gonna guess she's saying the watch said she burned less calories in zumba than on the walk, and that doesn't make sense.

And the answer is, IMO, that she probably has an HRM that is just a watch and no strap, and she probably only touched it while her HR was fairly low during zumba and happened to touch it while her HR was up high during the walk.

the strapless kind are not accurate because they don't take fluctuations into consideration and you'd have to touch it every 30 seconds to be accurate.

I was going to say something like this. I have one without the strap and I feel that it is pretty accurate, but only cause I hit the buttons ALL THE TIME. I mean, like every couple of minutes or so, and I don't stop working out I just keep my legs moving...and I get the same kinds of readings that way as with the one that has the strap (I have both kinds). But, if you don't hit those buttons all the time, it is calculating only with the lower heart rate you started with.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    When I wore my HRM I would take my heart rate as often as I could. Not just the start and end, but at least every 5 minutes.
    Good luck.
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    How often do you check your pulse? I got a Sportline Solo 915 I find I have to take my pulse often to get a decent reading because the Solo are not a continuos monitor HRM. At times when I having difficulty getting a reading I wet my finger and it picks up my pulse just fine then.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    If it has a chest strap you need to wet the areas around the sensor, otherwise it wont work properly.
  • I'd have to agree with the group. I'd say invest in a different HRM, one with a strap. Or while your working out, check your HR more often to get a better, and more accurate reading.
  • thank you to everyone who managed to infer my question (even though i thought i was pretty damn clear what was confusing me). i do not have a chest strap, i find them ridiculously uncomfortable. its a watch style. i guess i'll have to measure during zumba....which is practically impossible because there's hardly any stopping of movement but i can try.
This discussion has been closed.