Considering swimming-benefits? just as good as running?

Options
Im worried im going to completely bugger up my right knee so going to give running a rest for a while- however I have to do SOMETHING- considered swimming now.

Any advice? I can go on my way to work and will have time for a 30 min swim

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Clearly it's low impact, and works upper body as well as lower.

If you put the effort in it's a good session, although form is quite important otherwise all you're doing is creating a splash.

It's certainly a viable alternative.

ETA- It does depend on what the knee problem is, as that might contra-indicate breast stroke.

It's worth investing in a float and pull-buoy to give yourself some opportunity to mix the training.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be one of the best. I guess it depends on who you listen too.
    If your knee is giving you grief then it's definitely a great option and way better than doing nothing. If you knee isn't giving you grief it's probably a good cross training exercise, but I wouldn't switch from one to the other completely with out good reason.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise. I'm not sure what you mean by benefits (caloric burn? cardiovascular fitness?) when comparing to running and, of course the answer to both depends entirely on the intensity of your workout.

To give you an idea.....
    A rough way to relate the calories you burn swimming compared to other activities:

Going slowly, your calories burned swimming will be roughly equivalent to the same as a brisk walk
    At a medium pace of 1.5 laps of a standard swimming pool per minute, your swimming calorie burn will be around the level of a medium level intensity aerobics class
    Swimming fast at more than 2 laps per minute will start to burn calories around the same rate of a slow run

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-swimming/
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you put the same amount of effort as you do when you run - and for the same amount as time as when you run. And I agree, strokes with a straight leg kick tend to be kinder to the knees than breaststroke.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just try swimming and see how it goes. It can be challenging if that's what you need, and is generally easier on your joints. Best. :smile: