Running before and after stretches?

Options
Hey, so I've taken up running recently and I'm on week 6 of the C25k program and I was just wondering what are the correct stretches to do before and after your run? I've heard it's good to do Dynamic stretches before and Static stretches afterward but they just seem like so many stretches to do! But if I have to do them I will, i just want to know everyone's opinions on what stretches are best for before and after. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Before running, I warm up with a 5 to 10 minute jog then I try to do 2 key drills: butt kicks and high knee lifts.

Afterwards, yes, static stretching, mainly: standing calf stretch, lying hamstring stretch (using a towel or a stretch cord), quadriceps lunge stretch, and glute/piriformis stretch. All of these you hold for 30 to 45 seconds on each side, except the last one which is 30 to 60 seconds on each side.

This info is from the book Runner's World Run Less Run Faster by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr, and Ray Moss, but you should be able to google the stretches if you are unsure how to do them. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your running!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Good Question Laura! I have been wondering the same thing. I have a hard time with stretching. I just feel like I barely have enough time to workout and then I have to spend all this time stretching. I know, I need to do it but I need a routine so I can make it a habit.