Why I Love To Run

Options
13»

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think I started running because I didn't think I could do it. Now I run because I can do it. I decided years ago that even if I never lost a pound... even if I gained more weight... that I would NOT stop running. And here I am, heavier than when I made that decision, still running. I started running to lose weight. Now I want to lose weight to improve my running.
    ^^^^Now THAT is a runner...
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    OP, if "running soul-mates" were a thing, I think you'd be mine :blushing: What you wrote... I have thought these exact thoughts countless times, but unfortunately I am not as well-spoken and artistic with my writing as you are. So, can we be friends? Even though, judging by your profile, there is a high chance you are a Steelers fan... :bigsmile:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    OP, if "running soul-mates" were a thing, I think you'd be mine :blushing: What you wrote... I have thought these exact thoughts countless times, but unfortunately I am not as well-spoken and artistic with my writing as you are. So, can we be friends? Even though, judging by your profile, there is a high chance you are a Steelers fan... :bigsmile:
    :smile:
    My brother calls his like-minded female running friends his "trail wives"... lol
    I like the Steelers, but having grown up in Wisconsin, I am forever a Packer fan, so I won't hold it against you for loving the Ravens...
  • Josh_2099
    Josh_2099 Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Well said, it is one of those things I truly enjoy and never thought I would be running as much as I currently run. Every time I say I am going to take a break, I just don't. It's been a great change in my life style.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I NEED to run. I don't always love it. I have moved and don't get to run on trails anymore. Road running is not as enjoyable for me. But I still NEED to do it and it does make me a happier and better person. When I started running again it really helped me to get out of a bad rut I was in. It changed my life. That sounds sort of stupid but it really did.

This for sure. Some days it takes a whole lot to get my butt out there however, once I'm out there I wouldn't rather be anywhere else. All the stress melts away and I can just zone out.... until the car over there, that one - right there ---> Yeah that jerk, he doesn't see me because he's not looking and ... "oh whoopsies!," now he's giving me the "I didn't see you, so sorry" as he cuts me off to make his right turn and I'm standing close enough to his passenger door to invite myself in. I miss trail running :(
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Your heartfelt post Love My Running Shoes brought me back here to read again about your passion for the run.
    Your beautiful mother must have been so proud to see you grow stronger in body and spirit each time you stepped out the door to run.
    The obstacles you over come to continue placing one foot in front of the other amaze me.
    The balance you've found to run for your zen, without withholding time from your family encourages me.
    The way you are able to share your passion with all of us blesses me.

It is my sincerest hope that you will always find a way to run.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your beautiful post. I'm a baby runner - I started c25k July of last year - but I can already see that the experience gets better and deeper and richer all the time. One run can be very different from the other, some are real struggles, and getting through those is when you learn most about yourself, but I just love that feeling you get sometimes like your feet have wings and you're just flying over the ground.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    @fabnine... thanks for that... you have been a great inspiration to keep me running as well...especially when you are knocking down doubles! Long may you run!

@Ishii19...I could use a "winged" run right about now... I am tired of slogging snow runs...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ... I like who I am when I am running ...

Yep.
    When I run, I'm all ... "ROAARRRR!!!!"
    At most other times, I'm more ... "meow?"

Beautifully written and heartfelt - thanks for sharing this and for prompting many of the other stories written in response. xo
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    jrek521 wrote: »
    This post made me laugh because I never met anyone who loved running (the informal name of our running group is "Running is Stupid"). Thank you for sharing your passion! I run for exercise, and I really hope that it gets to be an activity that I enjoy. It's nice to know that it's possible!

I hope you keep checking back on this post and reading the stories ... we're evvvverywherrrre (people who love running, that is) ... ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just love your character and determination. I am appreciative of your willingness to share your views. I want to run to look like the super fit runners, but each step, each mile frees me from such narrow goals. I'm caught in the grip of stronger and farther, even if I will never be competitive. No matter how much I hurt, I want to run.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    @Elise4270... you are doing really well given everything you have to battle through. You are a real grinder and I am impressed with your drive to keep pushing...would love to do some trails with you...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270... you are doing really well given everything you have to battle through. You are a real grinder and I am impressed with your drive to keep pushing...would love to do some trails with you...

I plan on traveling this year for a few runs. Maybe I'll see ya 'round .
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    I run because I can . My wife is disabled and Bedbound. I run because I can everytime I go out of the door I give thanks that I can. Occasionally I feel guilty leaving someone who has been stuck in a bed for years to run. She tells me I am running for her. My stories and Pictures of my runs inspire her and keep her going, I doubt I could be as strong as her but I run for her as well as myself and for all those other people who due to many reasons cannot enjoy the joy of such a basic human act.

f4a0a3fc-f595-42b5-8022-8a58aba640b0.png
    Love this!

I've been running for a couple of years now. I could never make it a social experience, running with friends or in groups just wouldn't work for me. It's the ultimate 'me-time'. I like prepping for a run : putting on my running clothes and shoes, preparing a custom 'Run of the day' playlist for my iPod and then off I go. The music keeps me going, pushes me harder when I start to tire, gives me a steady rhythm to move to, and lifts my spirits.

I haven't always been fond of running, mind you. Back in school, PE was a nightmare for me. I was scrawny, suffering from asthma and extremely unfit. I'd run for 5 minutes and I'd be out of breath with painful side stitches. But the teachers made me run anyway, so I hated it. After years of being unfit, I decided things had to change. I started running. It was awful at first, the shoes I had weren't right, and I barely managed a mile. But this time it was my decision. So I went again. And again. I bought better shoes and started listening to music during my runs. Runner's high, Flow... those are things I never would have believed I'd experience one day. But soon, they actually started happening.

Now I'm training for my first half-marathon later this year. I know running isn't for everybody, but it's definitely my jam.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I run for the challenge, have lost 70lb last year and I needed a new one, so now training for my first HM. I like to slowly build up my distance once a week, a nice comfortable one once a week and 2 short but faster ones. I run inside and outside, preferring outside for the peace and quiet but equally the gym allows me to fit in around the kids activities. I also like to run with my husband, we chat and put the world to rights and has become a good time to catch up at least once a week. My latest development is one of my daughter's did a short run with me this week and is keen to start so I look forward to that special time too.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I love to run... For many reasons articulated throughout this thread. I started in grade six, ran 200+ miles that year for a contest and few believed me until they tried running with me on one of my lunchtime runs. Ran in high school, cross country and orienteering. Lived both. Ran, and hiked and ice climbed and you name it as a young man. Ran with the HHH for fun and got wicked fast. Ran marathons and 10km but always preferred distance and trails, preferably both mixed together.

Then I started to become a workaholic. Then I travelled for business too much. The running slowed. An injury not related to running took me out and I really never came back. 10 years later and 100 pounds heavier I, finally, stopped buying my own BS excuses and started running again last September.

Slowly and painfully and having a hard time reconciling my poor fitness with my old image... I pressed on, because I knew I'd love to run again. I only managed 200km between then and December but I ran what I could, in any weather.

I did it because I knew I would get all the fitness benefits, because I knew that the calorie deficit running and eating right created would do wonders for me, bit mostly because I love to run and was able to forget about old thin and fast me and concentrate on loving the exercise and sport in the here and now.

60 pounds lighter, 619 more kilometres this year so far, adding 150-200 more monthly now, I'm enjoying it like never before.

I've still got a ways to go before I reach my goal weight but I'm already fit, thanks to running, and will only get fitter, and perhaps faster ( but that isn't my primary goal at all) along the way.

It is time for today's run!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love this post so much. I'm not a runner, but I will be. I have a bit of a wonky heart and I'm waiting for medical approval to run but I literally dream of running at night.

When life around me is teaming with *kitten*, I used to always say, I'm going to run away. As in, pack a bag and get out of town. Now, when life is dragging me down, I always tell my husband that I'm going to start running and anyone who wants to drive me crazy is going to have to catch me. I'm seriously going to start running when I'm cleared to do so and that will be my "me time" and I can't wait!