Eating a lot, losing weight but feel weak, cold and hungry

Options
Been alternating between 2100 calories and 2400 calories every other day. I feel cold all the time and fall asleep at 8:30 at night because I'm so tired (I wake up at 5:30). I'm still losing about a pound a week. I'm 5'6 132 lbs aiming for 125 lbs. I have a physical job but there doesn't seem to be any other woman on MFP who is eating anywhere near this much and still losing weight. My job isn't fearsomely hard. A bit of heavy lifting. driving a tractor, and 6 hours of line trimming a day...

I've been watching my protein and iron and am taking in between 80 and 110g of protein a day

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Try to cut back to lose only 1/2 lb/week. Adjust your calories until this happens and see if it helps with the tiredness. Everyone is different. Your job may be more active than you think.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, for sure.

Make sure you are eating enough to not feel weak. If eating more makes you stronger, do that until you get to the doctor.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try to cut back to lose only 1/2 lb/week. Adjust your calories until this happens and see if it helps with the tiredness. Everyone is different. Your job may be more active than you think.

Is there anyone else losing weight at well over 2000 calories? I don't think I've eaten less than 2000 calories a day on a regular basis since I was 14 and I've never been over 143 lbs though I do have an enormous capacity for eating. Once I was losing weight eating 2800 calories per day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP, the calories needed are based on averages and estimates which means there will be individuals above and below those numbers. so it really doesnt make a difference if you're eating more than others and still losing weight since the calories you need are for ones needed for your body, not theirs.

if it's something that really bothers you then go see a doctor to make sure there are no thyroid or other adrenal and hormonal concerns

and to answer your question, yes there are several women your size who re eating over 2K and losing
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    See your doctor, for sure.

Make sure you are eating enough to not feel weak. If eating more makes you stronger, do that until you get to the doctor.

Definitely see your doctor and have bloodwork done to rule out any deficiencies. Great job on your weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more, see if it helps... Don't worry so much what anyone else is doing...

That isn't a massive amount of protein to be honest.

I second go to the doctors.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, there are many women on here losing weight on more than 2000 calories, that's not the issue, the issue is that the symptoms you are describing are of enough concern that it is worth consulting a doctor at this point.
  • laumis1
    laumis1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go get your blood checked. If you're feeling weak and cold, it could also be your blood sugar. I'm always and advocate of vitamin D. You can never have too much Vitamin D.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You are normal weight for your height and naturally quite active -- two things that separate you from most of the overweight office dwellers that wind up visiting this site. So no surprise that you are not finding a lot of people like you.

What are your goals, really?

Hungry all the time tells me that your carbs are too high and short-lasting and/or your protein too low. Try front-loading your protein toward the front of your day. Make your final meal of the day -- or dessert if you have one -- the one with carbs. In the start and middle of the day, you want protein that carries you between meals. Carbs in the absence of protein only satisfy you for a couple of hours.

Make your diary public if you want more help like that.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You are normal weight for your height and naturally quite active -- two things that separate you from most of the overweight office dwellers that wind up visiting this site. So no surprise that you are not finding a lot of people like you.

Hungry all the time tells me that your carbs are too high and short-lasting and/or your protein too low. Try front-loading your protein toward the front of your day. Make your final meal of the day -- or dessert if you have one -- the one with carbs. In the start and middle of the day, you want protein that carries you between meals. Carbs in the absence of protein only satisfy you for a couple of hours.

Not so much knawing hunger but sluggishness. I eat a can or 2 of salmon or tuna for breakfast and usually a chicken sandwich for mid-morning snack. If I eat a bigger meal or have a cheat day, I warm up. I usually get hungry-hungry after I eat.

I'm losing weight to get rid of my boobs and curves and be more disciplined about what I eat.

I have no idea what I burn in a day and I'm still eating a ton.

Yesterday was a skinny day, I had

Breakfast
    Can of salmon, coffee with milk, muffin (they were going to expire if I didn't eat them)

Lunch
    Turkey sandwich, coffee with cream

Snack
    Can of tuna

Dinner
    BLT salad with chicken and balsamic dressing, tea with sugar
  • lemonlime006
    Options
    A lot of times, even if you're eating a lot of calories, it's not enough of the right foods. I try to stick to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. The grams of protein will change depending on my intake for the day. That's what works best for me. If I don't get enough protein, I feel the way you described. Some days I do a lot and work out, and other days I don't do much at all so my calorie intake will change. Also iron deficiency, especially for women since we are more likely to lack it, can be a cause for the same symptoms. Maybe take an iron supplement and see if that helps.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi, you may have a thyroid gland issue. 12 million Americans have one. Women are 5 to 8 times more likely to have one then men. In my opinion of course, naturopathic doctors are more able to help you in this area. The naturopathic doctor will look at your overall health rather than your range health. They also understand what chemical burden is doing to your body and can help in that area. I wrote an article: Lose Weight by Eliminating Toxins that may help. We are exposed to thousands of chemicals every day that slow down, plug up and block major organs like the liver; the main organ for detoxifying pollutants and chemicals from the body. They mess with the Thyroid gland, which slows metabolism or in your case speeds it up.
    Hope this helps, Have a Happy Healthy Day, Francine Metz

Reported, please review the community guidelines.

Also, NO :noway:
    You should just report the post or at least not requote her link!

I hope we don't have to go through this "toxins" nonsense again........of course we will.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Not so much knawing hunger but sluggishness. I eat a can or 2 of salmon or tuna for breakfast and usually a chicken sandwich for mid-morning snack. If I eat a bigger meal or have a cheat day, I warm up. I usually get hungry-hungry after I eat.

I'm losing weight to get rid of my boobs and curves and be more disciplined about what I eat.

I have no idea what I burn in a day and I'm still eating a ton.

Breakfast
    Can of salmon, coffee with milk, muffin (they were going to expire if I didn't eat them)

Lunch

Snack
    Can of tuna

Dinner

Seriously, the sluggishness and cold feeling sounds like an iron deficiency to me, but that can only be diagnosed by a DOCTOR. And just because you're getting enough iron in, does not mean your body is actually absorbing it. There are genetic factors that can be at play here. If this is an ongoing problem, and you know your diet is in order, it's time to go see a doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch

Snack
    Can of tuna

Dinner

Don't know what you mean by 'a skinny day' but I doubt what you've listed is over 2000 cals... So you're probably just not eating enough.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Hi, you may have a thyroid gland issue. 12 million Americans have one. Women are 5 to 8 times more likely to have one then men. In my opinion of course, naturopathic doctors are more able to help you in this area. The naturopathic doctor will look at your overall health rather than your range health. They also understand what chemical burden is doing to your body and can help in that area. I wrote an article: Lose Weight by Eliminating Toxins that may help. We are exposed to thousands of chemicals every day that slow down, plug up and block major organs like the liver; the main organ for detoxifying pollutants and chemicals from the body. They mess with the Thyroid gland, which slows metabolism or in your case speeds it up.

I hope we don't have to go through this "toxins" nonsense again........of course we will.

Well, I'm feeling a little ornery today....
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

What I mean is, MFP usually deletes the offending post but leaves any post which has quoted it. In which case you have helped the spammer by leaving her link on there.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

What I mean is, MFP usually deletes the offending post but leaves any post which has quoted it. In which case you have helped the spammer by leaving her link on there.

LOL, easily fixed. :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch

Snack
    Can of tuna

Dinner

Don't know what you mean by 'a skinny day' but I doubt what you've listed is over 2000 cals... So you're probably just not eating enough.

Yeah, that's what I thought
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing you are focusing on low carb, high protein and fat? If so, you're probably not consuming enough high quality carbs. FYI your body -- including your brain -- runs on glucose, not protein. Get

Try adding in some high quality grains and veggies and you may feel better. Good luck!