Drug problem....Food for thought!

Options
This is a Drug Problem our Society needs to bring back!

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse, and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and pick bales out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are
stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, this country of ours would be a better place.

Replies

• sharimarie
    sharimarie Posts: 60 Member
    Options

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse, and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and pick bales out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are
    stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, this country of ours would be a better place.
  • nic1313
    nic1313 Posts: 1
    Options
    congrats on your drug problem and the woodshed. Now you have a food addiction to add to it as a way of emotional regulation! yeah for physical punishment.

- this therapist hopes that we can find ways to not have disordered eating and think of ways to look at eating as opportunities for nutrition not just caloric reduction for weight loss nor substitution for emotional well being-
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I heard a country saong that was almost like this word for word, but I can't remember who sang it b/c I don't listen to country:smile:
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    k, to shari-i hear ya!:wink:

and, even as a die hard country music fan, to mkeithley, that's about every country music song!:laugh: no titles necessary! lol
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

Amen!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

AMEN TO THAT!
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I was "drug" to my grandma's house (3 hours away) EVERY WEEKEND. Oh yeah, all of junior high and high school. I NEVER got to go out with my friends or go to their weekend parties.

Who knows what I was missing? :laugh:

I hated it, but I will probably demand a lot of family time out of my daughter, too. Poor thing...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Amen! I have the same addiction!!!