Drinking and loosing weight.

Options
Hey, so I'm in college and I'm pretty diligent about my diet, but it's really hard to be on the weekends when my boyfriend and friends want to go out drinking. Obviously I want to get drunk with them but it's also soooo many calories, not only with the drinks but the food I inevitably need to eat when I get home. Does anyone have any tips for this? Any low calorie drinks that'll still get the job done? Any snacks that I can eat after drinking that wont ruin my diet?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm in college and I'm pretty diligent about my diet, but it's really hard to be on the weekends when my boyfriend and friends want to go out drinking. Obviously I want to get drunk with them but it's also soooo many calories, not only with the drinks but the food I inevitably need to eat when I get home. Does anyone have any tips for this? Any low calorie drinks that'll still get the job done? Any snacks that I can eat after drinking that wont ruin my diet?

How often do you guys go out? If I know I'm gonna be drinking on the weekend, I usually set aside 100-200 calories per day (or exercise more) so that when Saturday comes, I can enjoy myself and not worry about what I eat. Running for 20 minutes a day could do that for you, and you wouldn't have to choose low calorie substitutes or feel guilty for going over your limit. That's what I do, anyway.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same issues. I found several ways to cope, and I have been quite successful:

- Drink less frequently
    - Lower the daily calorie intake to compensate for the occasional drinking day
    - Have a light day after a drinking day; e.g, eat only 1,200 calories of food and burn additional 600 calories
    - When drinking, eat a second meal instead of snacking; even something simple like scrambled eggs is better than large quantities of potato chips or peanuts

Drinking low-cal never worked for me. I like craft beer and it doesn't get much worse than that, calorie-wise - but if I'm drinking I will enjoy it and not drink crap.

Good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Don't go overboard with this, but you can lower your calories during the week and increase them a bit for the weekends. Just make sure that your weekly calorie goal is the same.
  • NaomiNoel21
    NaomiNoel21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually go out once a week. I just always feel awful because then when I input my calories it's like 700 or so over and the little thing says "If you ate this way every day, you'll gain so much weight!" I mean, I'm not, but it makes me feel crappy.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will say you shouldn't drink; but I do. I enjoy it! I have fun and don't hurt anyone so please no negative comments about what a bad person I am because I drink.
    Having said that:
    I too, like my weekend booze; and sometimes a middle of the week visit to my favorite watering hole. I quit the craft beers because I gained 10 pounds in 2 months drinking those. I changed to Michelob Ultra for the lower calories and carbs. For shots I stick to tequila, no salted rim. I don't drink liqueur shots or anything with cream! When I drink mixed drinks it's always Absolut vodka and diet 7up w/lime wedge. :drinker: I haven't had issues with it impeding my weight loss/fitness goals. I work out 5 days a week and I reached my goal of losing 30 pound (actually have lost 34) in a little ove 6 months and have been maintaining for over a month now. :smokin: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I usually go out once a week. I just always feel awful because then when I input my calories it's like 700 or so over and the little thing says "If you ate this way every day, you'll gain so much weight!" I mean, I'm not, but it makes me feel crappy.

Then there ya go. Eat a little less or exercise a little more so that you have about that amount when the drinking happens.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    Ok, I'll definitely try these things. Now it's time to try to cure this hang over from last night!
  • f0r54ken
    f0r54ken Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally Drink pretty often lol (my diary) but I've noticed a wildly large difference in potency and calories with the choice of drink. If you want to Stay short on calories What I drink is about 6 shots of bacardi (premium) 80 proof. and chase them with about 8 ounces of soda. usually comes out to about 450 calories overall. As to where that level of intoxication with beers would require about 10 for me. (110 x 10 1100 calories.)

So if you wanna save calories hard liquor with chasers is where the way to go.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Definitely going to bookmark that site!
  • belrowley
    Options
    You can try drinking vodka and soda water. Less calories. Also, try having one drink then one water then one drink... and so on. You will drink less and feel better the next day.