scared to go over the daily allowance

So i have been doing this and logging everything that goes into my mouth, weighing all my food and everything, for 4 weeks now (lost 3kg since). I havent gone over my daily limit yet. And i am really scared about the day that happens (because of course it will).
How do i stop being scared by the numbers? Also i am always scared i might do something wrong logging my food. For example i have created a lot of recipies and weighed everything and then cooked it. And recepies with quite low calories somehow scare me, because i am scared i did something wrong and then have the wrong numbers in my diary and nothing will work out in the end.
I am generally a person who gets easily obsessed with numbers, so this isnt news to me... but any ideas as to how to handle this ridiculous fear would be appreciated...
Also: logging exercise scares me too, since the options are really inaccurate.... i now log cycling via runtastic since it appears to be more accurate. But still...

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    Just keep in mind that if you have your goal set to lose 1lb per week, then you have a 500 calorie deficit per day. You would have to go more than 500 calories over you daily goal to get to the point where you would begin to put on weight, and even if you did go 500+ over your goal one day, but stuck to your goal the rest of the days you would still lose weight, you would just lose .86lb that week instead of 1lb. If your goal is set to lose more than 1lb/week then you have even more wiggle room.

TL;DR: You would have to go more than 500 calories over your goal per day--every day--in order to actually gain weight, so if you happen to go over a little one day it's hardly going to make a difference, so try to relax a little bit.

Take care to hit your goals, but don't stress so much, as you seem to have been doing fine so far.

Great advice.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    As pointed out by dancingonstar going over for one day is no big deal, even if you have a relapse of a week, still not a biggie as you have to think in the long term, just keep going. Its good discipline not to go over, but dont worry if you do. You can make those calories back if need be.

The recipes I tend to make from scratch although think theres a recipe builder? just be careful and then have confidence in that. Keep a reasonable eye on progress and if you stop losing weight then it might either be a natural plateau or you are simply not accurately recording your calories.

Exercise vurns on MFP tend to be overstated, just eat back a certain % i.e50% and you should be fine. People suggest you should take measurements as well. How your clothes feel, measurements and your eyes should be able to tell you if you are losing weight and they are more important. No reason for you to worry if you are keeping roughly in line. Consider getting soem mfp friends as well, then you can lean on them a bit and they can keep things in perspective.