Cooking for One

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
As you can surmise from the title, I am single. I get so frustrated when reading labels and see a small can that says 2.5 servings. Pffft. Anyway, back to the point, I sure could use some recipes hints for cooking for one. I usually end up making more, keeping in the fridge, but after 2 days I am over it and want something different. Because I use lots of fresh veggies and eggs, I don't like to freeze because the taste is never the same after thawing.

Thanks

Replies

• Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am a single college student and also have the same problem with making dinner for one. I normally like couscous as a base for my veggies easy to cook like half a cup. Also morning star burgers are great because they are super easy and if u get the prime add steamed brocolli and rice and its a simple tasty meal.

Hope this thread thrives so I can get some great ideas!!
  • Camposale
    Camposale Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having hell learning to make couscous. what is the secret?
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I live in France for the moment, so Morningstar, Egg Beaters, etc are not available here. But I guess that is ok as I do prefer fresh ingredients that I prepare myself. It is just so frustrating to find ingredients for single servings. I end up throwing away so much good food.
  • jessad215
    jessad215 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One of my "Cooking for One" tips is to cook up ingredients that can be combined in interesting ways rather than a whole dish. This week, for example, I made a batch of shredded chicken in the crock-pot on Sunday night. Today, for lunch it was a chicken salad sandwich. Tonight for dinner, I might make a pesto/tomato/pasta dish, and add the chicken for protein. It could also go in a taco salad, or in a caeser salad. I find if I cook up one big batch of protein for the week, I can combine it with different flavors or different kinds of vegetables all week and feel like I have some variety without cooking too much.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds pretty boring, but it works for me:

I usually find a 4-5 serving dinner, cook it on Sunday evening, and eat it throughout the week. Usually the meals are delicious enough that I don't mind eating them several days in a row. I also try to vary my lunches up enough that it doesn't feel as mundane eating the same thing every evening.
  • btripicchio
    btripicchio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES! meal prepping is the way to go!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge to cook for one, cause it involves more planning ahead. I agree with the above posts on either making one big batch (soups and stews) or take one protein and vary with it over a couple of days.

Here's some additional tips for saving money and time:

1. Keep lemon longer: You can poke a little hole with a match or chopstick into the end of the lemon. Squeeze juice as needed. Keeps for at least 1 week in fridge.

2. Freeze fresh herbs. Leftover herbs that aren't used right away wither fast. Chop up, half fill ice cube trays and fill with water. Store in freezer.

3. Blanche vegs. Cook vegs that will spoil if not used. When I made a salad with 50 gram fresh spinach, the leftover tended to die a slow death in the fridge unless I planned to use it the following day. To make spinach (or other vegs). Drop the spinach into lightly salted boiling water for 30 seconds. Rinse in cold water and leave in strainer for a bit. Squeeze some water out of the spinach. Season with 0.5 ts of sesame oil or olive oil. Store in fridge, you can add it to a sandwhich, soup, salad or anything else you're having in the following days. This method can be used for any veg, just adjust boiling time to al dente texture. I also do it with things like button mushroom, only frying it on low heat with no oil.

4. Replenish. If you forgot your vegs and they have started to wilt a bit, put them in a bowl or jar of water in fridge to replenish water. Store spring onion or parsley in a big glass of water in fridge, remember to change water now and then. This will take away some of the taste in some vegs, but you wouldn't use it anyway if they looked at you sadly and sunken from that inner corner of the fridge.

5. Infrastructure. Have plenty of plastic containers that have lids, with or without locking feature. If you are very forgetful, you can buy a cheap painters tape and write a sticker reminding you of what you stored in the fridge or freezer.

6. Have a cold fridge. This might not be obvious. But groceries is a big part of the budget for most people. Lowering the temperature in the fridge to as low as possible without leafy greens freezing, makes all the food last longer. I keep mine at 5 Celsius/40 F. Investing in a good quality fridge that has good balanced temperature inside is also something to consider. I had once a GE fridge that was fantastic, where food almost never got ruined despite forgetting them for weeks in there!
  • SaltedEverything
    SaltedEverything Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One habit that can help is putting all the ingredients on one dinner plate as you prep them (or two plates if you want leftovers).

Sounds silly, but at least you can see when you have a full plate and should stop chopping vegetables! Also makes logging meals easy, if the plate happens to be sitting on top of your kitchen scale.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    using frozen food helps.
    tonight i had an aldi chicken stead with salad.
    you just take 1 piece out of the box and cook
    from frozen.
    no waste.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great tips

- prep veggies 3 days at a time (they do keep!)
    - wrap broccoli in foil
    - clingfilm top of banana bunch to keep fresh

as for cooking
    - make last nights dinner big, then use for tomorrow lunch.
    -
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @abbey - does cooking for 5 days at a time work? how does it not go mouldy
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am having hell learning to make couscous. what is the secret?

Follow directions on package for water - pasta ratio.
    Boil water/broth (I add seasonings while the water is heating)
    Stir in couscous
    Remove from heat and cover
    Let sit for ~5 minutes
    Remove cover and "fluff" with fork

I make it with chicken broth, OJ (1/3rd of liquid), dried cranberries, cinnamon & pepper and then add cucumber and shredded chicken. Delish!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    using frozen food helps.
    tonight i had an aldi chicken stead with salad.
    you just take 1 piece out of the box and cook
    from frozen.
    no waste.

I do this.
    Frozen peas or green beans.
    Frozen chicken thighs, wings or breasts, pork or lamb chops.
    Divide fresh ground beef or lamb into 200 grams bags and freeze.
    Frozen portioned salmon.
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, broccoli have a long fridge life.
    Rice, barley, lentils and pasta keep forever.
    Canned beans and tomatoes too.

Except for pasta and chili, which I make for two days, there are no "leftovers". I always want something else for lunch!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump