low carb, lower fat?

Options
Can you do a low carb diet with substitutions for some of the high fat choices? Like heavy cream, full full cheese? Some of the high fat choices are scary to me.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    give it a shot and see how it goes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can you do a low carb diet with substitutions for some of the high fat choices? Like heavy cream, full full cheese? Some of the high fat choices are scary to me.:flowerforyou:

If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight... There's no need to do low carb and low fat.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

Scary how? I low-carb but I don't sit there and eat bacon grease with a spoon or anything. You can do half and half for heavy cream, but it is higher in carbs. I mostly just add butter and full cream and cheese to sauces and/or veggie prep. I drink heavy cream in my coffee. Choose sauces and dips with fat in it instead of sugary/carby sauces. It's pretty easy. Fat isn't bad for you like they always told us. They are finding that out now. Your body will not be happy with you if you don't eat enough fat to offset the decrease in carbs. Fat satiates.

Why are you wanting to low-carb? And how low are you wanting your carbs level to be? These answers are essential to giving you the right advice. All low-carb diets aren't equal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you're going low carb, then the fat can be as high as it likes.

Roughly.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight... There's no need to do low carb and low fat.
    This ^^^^^ Just eat foods you like at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. Don't over complicate it
  • baconslave
    Options

This ^^^^^ Just eat foods you like at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. Don't over complicate it

The reason matters though. If she doesn't have a medical issue, even though I'm a low-carb advocate, I agree with you. You can't hate fat and do the low-carb eating plan. Low-carb and low fat don't mesh.
  • karenfryman
    karenfryman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic so I'm trying to lower my carbs. But thank you for your advice. I'm definitely lowering my caloric intake and have lost about 26 pounds. I guess it's just old school to be afraid to over do the fats. I think I'll continue to watch my carbs. Thank you again!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic so I'm trying to lower my carbs. But thank you for your advice. I'm definitely lowering my caloric intake and have lost about 26 pounds. I guess it's just old school to be afraid to over do the fats. I think I'll continue to watch my carbs. Thank you again!

I'm T2D and eat low carb, keto specifically. I keep my carbs to under 40 g net per day. My macros are set at 10% carb, 20% protein & the rest fat.

As a diabetic, fat is the only thing that doesn't raise my blood sugar. Too much protein can do it & we certainly know starchy carbs can do it as well. I get most of my carbs from veggies but also try to incorporate a low carb flat bread or pita daily.

Fat on a low carb plan will help you to meet your caloric limits as you will find it very difficult to get a reasonable amount.

In other words, the deficit can be too great & that's not something you want, as you may end up catabolizing muscle.

I've found for weight loss, net carbs are what I watch for.

For blood sugar control, gross carbs per meal are what I need to watch.

Good luck with it, google 'ketogenic diet' for additional info, keep what you need, discard the rest :drinker:
  • karenfryman
    karenfryman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank that explains a lot to me. You're always
    Worried about those evil carbs raising your blood sugar. Thank you all again!
  • baconslave
    Options

Watching your carbs are good for you then. The lower your carbs, the more fat you need. I need more since mine is way low. Yours may be around 100g-150g carbs per day so you don't need to worry as much. Do try to add a little here and there of fats. Not necessary to do a bunch at once or go crazy. Like everything else, a bit here and there adds up. So use butter, cream, cheese, nuts, and avocados are good too. But do keep an eye on the calories.

Congrats on your loss and keep up the good work!