Is 1400 calories a day too low on the ketogenic diet?

It's for a 5'8" 175 lbs, 32 yo male who lifts weights 3-4 times a week.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    1400 calories is too low for a male with those stats on any diet.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Yes, I think so, no matter what diet you're following. If you don't have an eating disorder a lot of people can let hunger be their guide eating a low carb diet.

It's perfectly normal to have low days -- even extremely low calorie days when in ketosis -- but they're followed by high days when you're hungry and eat more naturally so it balances out. If that's not happening and you're losing more weight than expected (so you know you're not just miscalculating your calories) you need to eat more regardless of hunger.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    Yes, I think so, no matter what diet you're following. If you don't have an eating disorder a lot of people can let hunger be their guide eating a low carb diet.

It's perfectly normal to have low days -- even extremely low calorie days when in ketosis -- but they're followed by high days when you're hungry and eat more naturally so it balances out. If that's not happening and you're losing more weight than expected (so you know you're not just miscalculating your calories) you need to eat more regardless of hunger.

To lose 2lb per week, I am supposed to eat 1480 cals. I am in ketosis, 5'10, 35, and weigh 213. and some days I have to force myself to even break 1300. I just went through that this week. I would just break 1000 and then have to eat a fat bomb for calories, usually butter broth with cream. The next days, I was ravenous, and fought to keep them under 1500. This happens off and on. I will say that my body won't release weight on these low days, not until I am resuming my regular days. Eating too little is sometimes a problem, too. It's probably best to not have too much of a calorie deficit. MFP will tell you, based upon the poundage to lose per week, what your calorie goal is. Try to stick by that, 95% of the time. But if you can't, as long as you do have up days where you are a tad over to offset the damage, it won't be terrible.

Like I said, sometimes your body will hold on to weigh if you don't fuel it enough.

Best wishes. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    1400 calories is too low for a male with those stats on any diet.

This!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I just went through that this week. I would just break 1000 and then have to eat a fat bomb for calories, usually butter broth with cream. The next days, I was ravenous, and fought to keep them under 1500. This happens off and on.
    I just go with the flow -- I think fasting is healthful so if there are days when I'm not hungry I go with that and don't eat. And the days when I'm extremely hungry I enjoy eating until I'm completely full and satisfied. Baring an eating disorder I don't think "forcing" yourself to eat when you're not hungry and then forcing yourself not to eat when you are is sustainable. Or at least it wasn't for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    It's for a 5'8" 175 lbs, 32 yo male who lifts weights 3-4 times a week.

It's a fairly typical intake on a ketogenic diet, not because it's a target but because it's "enough" ie that's what people elect to eat.