Why do VLCD's fail?

Options
This is just for curiosity purposes...

I've read a lot that they always fail, but I'm wondering why? I know a person can't get enough nutrients on them, so it doesn't make the diet easier, but ultimately what leads to gaining the weight back?

Does a person's metabolism slow down drastically when doing it so when they up their calories they gain? I mean, if they ate their correct new weight maintenance calories after the diet, wouldn't they just maintain like normal?

(To any lurkers, please don't go doing this, like I said I'm only asking for curiosity purposes, unless you are super morbidly obese a vlcd will probably not do you (or anyone) good!)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First of all, the definition differs. To some, 1150 qualifies. :)

They don't always fail. People do this and succeed. Doctors okay it for some people. It's some MFP posters who think it is doomed to fail.

Everyone should follow the advice of their doctor.
  • TestingFun01
    TestingFun01 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

They don't always fail. People do this and succeed. Doctors okay it for some people. It's some MFP posters who think it is doomed to fail.

They are usually (or are supposed to be) monitored by a doctor and supplemented. (From what I read)

But I'd like to know what plays a role in a lot of people gaining back except for the fact that it's not sustainable. Do they go like in a food craze or something and eat the fridge? Or is it "starvation mode" (sorry I had to =P)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Waiting for kitten ????. gifs
  • TestingFun01
    Options
    Waiting for kitten 🐱. gifs

Me too :laugh:
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Probably one of the best counter arguments out there:

http://gregnuckols.com/2013/06/04/slow-and-steady-weight-loss-i-think-not/

No necessarily addressing VLCD, but faster weight loss in general.
  • Kalikel
    Options

They are usually (or are supposed to be) monitored by a doctor and supplemented. (From what I read)

But I'd like to know what plays a role in a lot of people gaining back except for the fact that it's not sustainable. Do they go like in a food craze or something and eat the fridge? Or is it "starvation mode" (sorry I had to =P)
    Again, not everyone gains it back.

People gain back weight they lost for many different reasons - medical, mental and emotional. Everyone has their own unique stories.

If you go to the "Getting Started" section, you'll find lots of people who came here, did the MFP thing, gained it back and are here again to re-lose. Many tell their stories. :)
  • caitconquersweight
    Options
    Well, one good reason I can think of is that life just doesn't work that way. Sometimes you want to go out with friends, sometimes you want to celebrate the holidays. Even the most steely personalities will probably end up feeling bad or lonely when everyone else is having fun and indulging and there you are, eating a salad with no dressing or saving up calories all day long for one splurge meal.

It seems that a lot of people who want to go very low calorie aren't thinking long term. They think they can just eat very little for six months to a year and lose a bunch of weight, then go back to eating what they did before. That's a huge reason people yoyo diet. "Bawww I lost 50 pounds last year and gained it all back this year! Oh noooooo!" Yeah, no. It's simply not sustainable.
  • TestingFun01
    Options
    Probably one of the best counter arguments out there:

http://gregnuckols.com/2013/06/04/slow-and-steady-weight-loss-i-think-not/

No necessarily addressing VLCD, but faster weight loss in general.

Wow.. okay... :ohwell: interesting and kind of scary...
  • TestingFun01
    Options
    Well, one good reason I can think of is that life just doesn't work that way. Sometimes you want to go out with friends, sometimes you want to celebrate the holidays. Even the most steely personalities will probably end up feeling bad or lonely when everyone else is having fun and indulging and there you are, eating a salad with no dressing or saving up calories all day long for one splurge meal.

It seems that a lot of people who want to go very low calorie aren't thinking long term. They think they can just eat very little for six months to a year and lose a bunch of weight, then go back to eating what they did before. That's a huge reason people yoyo diet. "Bawww I lost 50 pounds last year and gained it all back this year! Oh noooooo!" Yeah, no. It's simply not sustainable.

See THAT'S my question. So let's say for argument's sake, someone goes on a vlcd to lose weight while tracking calories, they manage to lose the weight, and they DONT return to "normal" old eating habits, that is, they now eat at their new weight's maintenance, (just like we would after we are done losing) will they keep it off then?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Virtually all diets 'fail', for the most part, if 'success' is defined as never regaining any of the weight. But like the link posted above explains, VLCDs do as well or better than other types.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If they're eating the correct maintenance calories, why would they put weight back on?.
  • TestingFun01
    Options
    If they're eating the correct maintenance calories, why would they put weight back on?.

I dunno? Doesn't it lower their metabolism or something? I mean I know all dieting does lower it slightly because you eat at a deficit...

But it readjusts again, right?
  • TestingFun01
    Options
    So it's really just a case of (like with most diets) going back to old eating ways that makes them regain?
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    See THAT'S my question. So let's say for argument's sake, someone goes on a vlcd to lose weight while tracking calories, they manage to lose the weight, and they DONT return to "normal" old eating habits, that is, they now eat at their new weight's maintenance, (just like we would after we are done losing) will they keep it off then?

For argument's sake, if we assume they really do eat at maintenance (whatever that is - let's also pretend they're having their metabolism medically measured just to be sure of what their BMR *really* is before, during, & after)...then of course they will keep the weight off. BY DEFINITION.

IMNSHO, what causes more rapid/likely weight gain after VLCDs or super-restrictive eating plans, is that your "diet" phase food groups are so different than maintenance. You aren't learning to eat a variety of foods in moderation. So you aren't developing an eye for what a helping of X or Y or Z is doing to your daily count/macros. That makes it really hard later on to include X Y &Z in a healthy way.

A lot of VLCDs don't even try to include all the food groups, which is a total setup for the difficulties mentioned above.

Bottom line...I think most folks end up not actually eating at maintenance...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I dunno? Doesn't it lower their metabolism or something? I mean I know all dieting does lower it slightly because you eat at a deficit...

Some studies find the metabolism goes right back up when the deficit eating is stopped, others find the metabolism remains lower after dieting. I think there are a lot of factors at play.
  • Kalikel
    Options

They aren't sure yet.

ALL people who lose weight, however long it takes and whatever they ate, will keep those fat cells, which will always send messages to the brain, "Hey, we're empty! We should be full! You never know when you might energy! Fill us up!"

They're still researching if they ever disappear, what happens with the signals, etc.

If you're really interested, you should go to the library and read up. There is lot of info out there! :)

Maintaining isn't easy for anyone, which is why so many dieters - VLCD, MFP, every other kind - end up gaining the weight back
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    People regain weight because it is easier than maintaining / losing weight.

Path of least resistance and all that.

Has nothing to do with how they lost the weight.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    They don't always fail. When they do it's because people are either unable to comply with the very low calorie regimen to actually achieve results, or they are unable to transition out of the diet to a maintenance state. Both reasons are directly related to people eating too much. One could argue that a very low calorie diet might set a lot of people up to be prone to eating too much but that's a different topic all together.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some well-designed, medically monitored, and often hospital-based VLCDs succeed. The problem with Very Low Calorie Diets is that they are very difficult to do in a healthy way and difficult to stick to without medical support, a carefully controlled diet, and proper vitamin support.

A poorly designed VLCD is quite risky and can result in cardiac problems and even death.

Many post-gastric surgery diets may be classified as VLCDs. Again, these must have careful design and medical supervision to work well and keep healthy.

Do not try doing a VLCD unless you are working with someone who is a bonafide expert. Check out a hospital based program, avoid weight loss centers with shaky reputations.

People often gain weight back no matter what method they use to lose it in the first place by falling back into old patterns of eating. It truly is calories in/calories out. A VLCD will cause you to lose weight while you are doing it but without a well-designed maintenance program being followed afterward, you'll just gain the weight back.

Talk to your doctor before you think about trying a VLCD.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Waiting for kitten 🐱. gifs

Me too :laugh:

*elbows her way in*
    I brought the popcorn
    UdTfs.gif