Pros and cons of weighing daily vs weekly or monthly

Options
I'm sure this debate happened a lot before but i'm new to the community part so I'd like to know.

Personally I've heard that weighing daily is a bad idea because my mind gonna be all over the place if I do and that I should aim at a weekly frequency.

Personally being a bit of a numbers nerd and all that I love following my evolution on a daily basis, so many more numbers to deal with and If i happen to gain weight it makes me more motivated to try even harden to lose for the next day.

Not sure what you all thinking

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I just weigh daily after i wake up and gone to the bathroom. If i am down then i log and move on if not then i don't log and move on.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially smoothed moving average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

If you're going to be all "OMG! I'm bloated!" if you see the number go up by 2 lbs. from one day to the next, then daily weigh-ins aren't for you. Personally, I'm not bothered, because it's the trend that matters.

If you weigh weekly, you still risk getting a shock if your weigh happened to be unusually low on one weigh-in day, then unusually high the following week. If you weigh every day, you come to see fluctuations as normal.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and it has helped me understand my personal fluctuations and actually keeps me from getting frustrated. Like the previous poster said, it keeps me from seeing a low day one week and a high day the next week and perhaps thinking nothing has happened. I don't log my weight every day though; I just note it and move on. If I weight a new low weight three days in a row then I will log it as a loss at MFP.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm typically a daily/every few days type of weigher. I understand that my body is going to fluctuate, and I like to see how it reacts to different things (like whether being just over on my sodium will make me bloat or if I have to be way over, or if my new workout is making me hold water weight etc).

I did weekly only when I lost my initial 60-70lbs before coming to MFP because I felt like I needed to see semi-significant number drops to feel like I was making progress, but getting a scale with decimal places lead me to eventually move to the daily.

Monthly doesn't work well for me, and isn't something I prefer, but I'm away for work right now and haven't weighed in for a little over 2 weeks now. I find weighing monthly works one of two ways for people: it either keeps you really dedicated because you could actually put on 1-2lbs in fat over a month if you went over frequently or it allows you to just write off stuff with this, well it's only one day and I don't weigh in for 30 more type mentality. I tend to lean towards the second of those two options haha
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, because I like the data. I don't put any emotional stock into the numbers, it's just data. If your the type of person that is going to become discourage if the scale isn't moving like you want, then I'd recommend every two weeks or monthly even. But I'm too curious to weight that long. Also, I only "Check In" or record my weight when I've lost some amount that I'm happy with, say 3 to 5 pounds. So I'm recording my weight every 3-4 weeks.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I weigh frequently. I take into consideration water weight and don't lose it if it's jumping all over the place. But frequent weigh ins let me gauge my natural fluctuations, and get a better gauge of my progress. If I weighed monthly, I wouldn't know if that was my actual weight, or water weight from the day before.

Generally though, I weigh every other day, if not 3-4 times per week.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I track my progress with measurements, pics in the mirror, and how my clothes fit. Threw out my scale a long time ago:)
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i track using measurements and only use the scale maybe every 2 weeks or so? it's more accurate that way (for me).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Daily: You can indulge your obsessive side and track really accurately, follow trends, compare weight to calories eaten. But you may freak out if you go up three pounds.

Weekly: you get to be less obsessive and still follow trends. But if you only lost half a pound, you might wonder if this is one of the "off" days where it went up three pounds.

Monthly: you will not obsess much and will generally see nice changes in the downward direction.

Not at all: you don't obsess. All weigh loss is felt in clothes and seen by others or, maybe, in the mirror.

I did Not At All for forty pounds and wish I'd stuck with it, but now I'm hooked on daily.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For accuracy about once per week will be adequate. I weigh daily but don't get bent out of shape when it does not go down daily.. It won't. Weight loss figures less than 2-3 lbs are actually not that reliable... Here are three reasons...

1. Poop
    2. Pee
    3. Sweat.

One's elimination cycle will definitely cause some variation in the morning weight... Additionally, some activities and foods cause water retention... Examples are salts on the food end and weight training on the exercise end... As one causes damage to one's muscles (weight lifting), the body compensates and works to heal the "damage" by retaining water in the form of glycogen.. This water, is not subsequently sweated/urinated out until that healing process is completed...

So a person goes and lifts heavy weights and his weight goes up... Has he regressed? Probably not. His weight will actually drop in the next few days as his body releases the excess water after the healing process is complete...

As far as monthly weights, one can do a lot of damage by changing one's eating habits and not checking on progress for 30 days... Instead, I think that weekly weights are generally more accurate than daily weigh ins but provide more feedback than the 30 day variety. Best wishes on your every success... Success is the goal regardless of how often (or even if) you weigh.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, I'm tempted to switch it to every two weeks just because I get obsessive.
  • LexyMaree
    LexyMaree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh in every 2-3 days. That way I have more data than if I did it weekly (as a mild numbers nerd I have an excel spreadsheet with trendlines and the works), and so I can see my progress over a week. Fluctuations will still effect the results, but you can still see a general trend over separate weeks as well as overall (in my case it's been pretty much downwards over my 7 weeks, which makes me very happy!). However, when I get down to maintenance it'll probably drop to once a week. In all, I think it depends on where you are at with your weight loss/gain, and at what level you think it becomes obsessive.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly fussed by the actual number on the scale, getting to my goal weight sometimes seems so far away that I can't really connect with it right now. So I have health goals - food goals, emotional health goals, and fitness goals.

That said, I am also a bit of a nerd so I weigh in daily on the Wii Fit, which gives me my BMI and weight to 1 decimal place. I log it on MFP whenever it's at a new low, but otherwise I keep track using excel spreadsheets where I log my weight each day, my BMI and my running speeds.

I have yet to have an 'unexplained' weight gain, but I doubt it would freak me out. But if you're the type to see a gain/no loss despite sticking to your goals, then end up over-restricting/over-exercising to compensate, I would advise against weighing daily. But for me, if I have a few days of too-much-eating, weighing in keeps me accountable and will let me know I've fallen off the wagon.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i am a daily person.

i find that if i understand the fluctuations that happen every day, by seeing them, i am less likely to get discouraged. i can also get a better idea of what is real and what is a fluctuation. i find that most of the time, for me, my lowest point stays the same to the exact oz, most of the time, until i lose. my higher pointshowever, are all over the board every day up to about 4 pounds higher than my lowest.

what i look for is the lowest number of the week. if that number repeats itself throughout the week, that is what i consider my weight, since it is so hard to change that lowest number i assume it to be real.

so... the lowest number as long as i see it more than one day.

when i weighed myself weekly, i was quick to get discouraged because i would weigh myself once, see whatever arbitrary number came up at that moment, and believe it to be true. so if i was up three pounds i would think i was gaining... which we all know gaining three pounds is a week cant really happen if you are not eating a horse... anyway.

daily for me. and then i just keep in mind that it will rarely be the same.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong, it really depends on figuring out what works for you.

For me, I record once a week. I weigh myself as often as I feel like (sometimes daily, sometimes only once a week) out of interest. But that works for me because I don't really get any emotional feeling from the numbers that I see. To me only the 'official' wiegh in counts. Everything else is just an experiment.

Some people seem to find the scales sending them on an emotional rollercoaster in which case it would best be avoided.
  • Skinnyfoodie1
    Options
    I used to weigh in daily but recently started doing weekly weigh ins. I get way too affected by the numbers on the scale from day to day. I found it can sabotage my diets even when I'm doing things right. The other week I got down to a good number that I hadn't seen in a while, was so excited about it that I figured it was ok to eat a bunch of carbs and junk. It's scary not to track every day but the weekly weigh in seems to work much better. Especially if you're an emotional weigher :/)
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weight myself at the beginning of my weightloss journet every 10 days to two weeks, this gradually went up to nearly daily.
    I felt obsessed and I am an emotional weigher, if there isn't (enough) loss, I feel bad and discouraged.
    That's me. Not helpful, I know.
    Anywho, now I am back to once a week.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. And sometimes more than once a day if I'm in the bathroom and in the mood. And someone after a bike or run session to see how much I sweat and see if I'm drinking enough. If I'm running at the house for an hour I'll weigh myself before and after running without having anything to drink to see how much I lose in sweat and be better prepared in longer runs and races to hydrate properly. I also weigh myself whenever I use my handheld BF machine to make sure it's giving me accurate info and it lets me know how many grams of protein I need per day. It also lets me know when the monthly visitor is coming if I suddenly shoot up 5 lbs and crave bread. I also weigh myself after weight training because you tend to retain water after weight training and I get a kick of the 2-3 lbs gain overnight :bigsmile:
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Daily helps keep me motivated. I check in the morning when i first get up.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and it has helped me understand my personal fluctuations and actually keeps me from getting frustrated. Like the previous poster said, it keeps me from seeing a low day one week and a high day the next week and perhaps thinking nothing has happened. I don't log my weight every day though; I just note it and move on. If I weight a new low weight three days in a row then I will log it as a loss at MFP.

this :smile: