How To Eat Healthy & Live Life

Options
Hi! So I have recently conquered a rather serious health issue, and have been off my medication for a couple weeks now (finally normal again!). A little about me:

I am 20 years old, my current weight is 175-180 fluctuating.

I am 5'6' and my measurements are 41-34-42.

My goal weight is 135, but have been 150 consistently throughout my highschool years.

I did drop to 145 during college (2011 clean eating no exercise, 2012 exercise bad eating).

I had a major change in 2013 which burdened my exercise and developed even worst eating habits (fast food, etc). Weight was 160.

My previous health illness started in Sept 2013, but took meds Jan 2014. Wwent from 160 to 180 (tried to lose weight, exercised, ate better, not great results).

Sept 2014 !! After two weeks of medication and health illness FREE, I am wanting to seriously clean up my bad eating habits, start drinking more water (I never do) and recognize my gluten allergy (and do something about it for once!).

I am starting September 15th with my lifestyle change, and have a game plan (no gluten/processed sugars and losing 1lb a week). One of question is this - I am going to an event on the same day I start my healthy eating, and will be leaving around 10AM-11AM in the morning. I figured I could get up and eat breakfast, eat some lunch and pack the rest for on the way, maybe bring some snacks that are in my diary plan while I am gone, possibly cook dinner ahead of time (instead of binge eating when I am at home and too tired to cook)....I do want to drink half my body weight in ounces of water, but I only have a 16 oz water bottle. Like I stated previously, I am not a big water drinker (but will be soon!) How do you maintain healthy water drinking throughout busy days? Find the nearest water fountain, starbucks, etc? I will be in the sun for a good 6 hours and wont be close to a water fountain. I feel like this is a pathetic question, but I figured to ask it. Thank you so much!!

Also - any comments or suggestions/encouragement/etc would be helpful about any info I gave you :)

Replies

• beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the choice to start! :) I'm also just starting out, so if you need a friend, feel free to add me! Looks like you have a great plan food wise for tomorrow, not sure what to suggest about the water though. Hopefully there will be somewhere you can at least buy some bottled water once yours runs out!
  • mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Having dinner ready soon after you get home is an awesome start. It's all about planning. Maybe there is somewhere you may can refill your water bottle. Try to get in 16 oz before you leave and when you get back.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do you think getting rid of gluten is the answer to a healthy life style? Unless you have a diagnosed condition there is no reason to avoid Gluten. I have a close relative with Coeliac disease and there is Gluten everywhere so in fact just cutting out obvious wheat sources does not mean you've cut out Gluten. A lot of people on this forum who have claimed to cut out Gluten are in fact fooling themselves as they've only cut the obvious sources. It's in the most surprising places. As for cutting sugar well if you get an undue amount of calories from sugar yes you may wish to but generally as with Gluten unless you have a medical condition there is no real reason to avoid it.

Fantastic that you're thinking of this as a lifetime thing. That is where moderation comes in try to get an overall balanced diet and don't demonise food. There is nothing wrong with sometimes have chocolate, ice cream or fast food as an overall rounded and balanced diet. Food will be with you for well life and at many occasions so you need to learn that it is not the enemy and that you can make the right choices for you no matter the situation. Below some threads that have helped me. Also as you have had some health issues it's worth speaking to your doctor Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    Hi! :)

First of all, congratulations for making a decision to start, and planning a particular day to do so. Whether you realise it or not, that's the first step! I'd say that's an awesome achievement, that you've willingly stepped up to the plate and decided this is what you want to do. :)

I, too, am trying to drink more water throughout the day. Something I found really helpful was to buy a big enough water bottle so that I could sip throughout the day. Mine is 1.5 litres (50 ounces). I try to drink this everyday, and I always have it with me. I'm a student, so I always have it with me on my desk. Unfortunately, with travel it can sometimes be difficult as it is such a big bottle. However the more you drink the lighter it gets, and depending on your bag it could possibly fit. But it just saves the hassle of having to continue to fill it up every time (which can become tedious).

I agree that it's all about planning ahead of time the meals that you're going to eat. Figure out some time beforehand to prepare a dinner that you can have when you get home, to avoid binge eating. If you're struggling to find anything to make, I love Pinterest for some healthy food ideas. Just simply search "healthy dinner recipes" or something similar, and you should get heaps of ideas come up! I know that My Fitness Pal also has a recipes forum that may help out too :)

If you ever need any extra support feel free to friend me on MFP :)
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get another waterbottle. ( even 2 diposable ones)Half fill it with water, freeze. Before you leave, top up with water. Wrap in a small towel. Now you have one for the first half, and one that will be thawed 2-3 hours later.
    If you drink at least 1 bottle before you go, the 2 bottles during the day and 2 when you get home, that will be a good start!!!
    Agreed! It is all about planning ahead. then, no excuses. good luck and congrats for the start.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Good for you. This is a wonderful place for support and information. I agree planning ahead is key. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't know what I am eating. I plan ahead.

I set water bottles out on my counter. They must be gone by the end of the day. That's how I got into the habit.

I can't post links with my iPad....the links suggested a few responses ago were key to the changes I have made. They are very informative and you will see them suggested many times by very successful people. I highly recommend you take time to read them!

Good luck to you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless your have a physical or mental problem, there is no reason you can't trust your thirst to guide you where water is concerned. Keep a bottle with you all the time and take little sips on occasion. If you stick to just drinking water (not coffee, juice, pop, etc., but water), you should naturally get enough.

If you're going to be far from fountains, carry it with you. Backpacks are good for that. If it's going to be hot, freeze the bottles, put them in ziplocks and they'll help cool your back without getting everything wet.

Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to take control! My advice, though, would be to start today. I know too many people who say, "I'll start tomorrow," but that tomorrow never comes.... Even if all you do is log everything faithfully, that's a good start.

The eight glasses/64 oz. of water a day recommendation is something of a myth: at the very least, it doesn't take into account that other liquids provide water too, even coffee and tea (the very mild diuretic effects of caffeine are more than compensated by the amount of water in them). There is some recent research suggesting that drinking a bit more water than average does help with kidney function, though:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/health/research/29perc.html
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/really-the-claim-drink-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-to-protect-the-kidneys/

The advice to drink when you're thirsty is still the best. However, if you feel hungry, it doesn't hurt to have a drink of water; sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. For your outing tomorrow, just bring along an extra water bottle in a backpack/shoulder bag.

Good luck!