Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do YOU judge your fitness level?

I was trying to figure out if I am "fit" or not. My BMI says I'm obese, my pants size says I'm not obese (not even plus sized - still single digits). My husband is ex-Army and they have fitness tests, so naturally I looked those up. There's stuff I can do, and stuff I can't do. There's people who I know that can do all of those things but can't do some things I can do.

So I'd like to know from you MFP peeps.

How do YOU judge your fitness level? How do you determine if you're fit or not?

Replies

• Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Usually by how much I can squat and how fast I can run 1km.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    For me, it's as simple as, "Do I still get out of breath when I walk a long distance or climb a couple flights of stairs?" That was one of the first things that helped wake me up in terms of needing to do something about my weight. Also, when I can go up a little in the amount of weight I use with my workouts (I don't lift heavy, so those are small increments, but still), that tells me I'm getting stronger.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Good question, I am in the same boat as you. I feel fit, my friends tell me I am fit, my trainer tells me I am fit...I guess I am fit. I did a sprint triathlon in August and didn't die, that has to mean something :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I judge by my body fat %, my strength training numbers (weight and reps), and how far and fast I can run...but honestly, as a winter sports enthusiast, I most often judge by how my body feels after a day of black runs in the Rockies, haha. I consider myself appropriately fit if I can go back for days two and three after the first eight hours in fresh powder.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    I judge by my body fat %, my strength training numbers (weight and reps), and how far and fast I can run...but honestly, as a winter sports enthusiast, I most often judge by how my body feels after a day of black runs in the Rockies, haha. I consider myself appropriately fit if I can go back for days two and three after the first eight hours in fresh powder.

How are you estimating your body fat %? Curious because most things I've seen (short of one of those bod-pod things) are supposedly really inaccurate.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    My BMI is closer to obese than it is to "healthy" but my body fat % is healthy. I'm 41 & I can squat 225, run a mile in less than 8 minutes and do 73 sit ups in 2 minutes. My resting pulse is around 60 and my bp is about 110/70, so I say who cares what BMI says if all other indications are good? BMI is a joke because there are lots of people who have a healthy BMI who are NOT FIT.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    How long I can run. At my heaviest, I could only run about 5 seconds before having to stop (not exaggerating). I can run for a little over 4 minutes now. Doesn't sound like much but considering I'm 219 pounds and could only run 5 seconds the first time, I'm proud of it and it clearly shows success. After I lose more weight, I'll time myself again and see where I'm at.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Fit, for me, is defined by the life you live. If you have chosen a very sedentary life where the most athletic ability you will need is to run half a block to catch a bus once in a while, and you can physically run that half a block, then hey, you're fit. You are fit to live the life you've chosen. Now, if tomorrow you decide you want to run a 5k in three months then guess what... you are suddenly woefully unfit. Your body didn't change, but what you ask of your body changed. For me, the goal is to be fit for the life I have now, and the life I want to have a year from now.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member

How are you estimating your body fat %? Curious because most things I've seen (short of one of those bod-pod things) are supposedly really inaccurate.

We have callipers, which aren't necessarily super accurate, but as long as we use them the same way each time, I can at least judge whether I'm going up or down generally relative to the previous measurement. It's just sometimes a better way for me to keep an eye on my body than weight in maintenance (because gaining a couple pounds but dropping bf% is okay with me but just gaining isn't....)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I just set goals. That's it. Pretty simple.

I do this and I have a monthly assessment at my gym so I can gauge my progress that way too. I track my numbers and goals met on a calendar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    I was trying to figure out if I am "fit" or not. My BMI says I'm obese, my pants size says I'm not obese (not even plus sized - still single digits). My husband is ex-Army and they have fitness tests, so naturally I looked those up. There's stuff I can do, and stuff I can't do. There's people who I know that can do all of those things but can't do some things I can do.

So I'd like to know from you MFP peeps.

How do YOU judge your fitness level? How do you determine if you're fit or not?
    What ever challenge I take on....................................I kick anyone's butt who's the same age as me.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I generally strive to be the best version of me possible. I compare myself only to myself and I feel fit when I'm improving and making progress. Like a previous poster, I tend to set goals. When I meet them I know I've been successful and then I set new goals. When I look and feel healthy, I'm satisfied with my level of fitness. That level of fitness is going to vary from person to person. Beyond basic health, I think fitness level is a matter of preference and perception. :flowerforyou:
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    I generally strive to be the best version of me possible. I compare myself only to myself and I feel fit when I'm improving and making progress. Like a previous poster, I tend to set goals. When I meet them I know I've been successful and then I set new goals. When I look and feel healthy, I'm satisfied with my level of fitness. That level of fitness is going to vary from person to person. Beyond basic health, I think fitness level is a matter of preference and perception. :flowerforyou:

You hit the nail on the head. What's fitness for? Fit for everyday activity, or fitness to run an ultramarathon, or fitness to deadlift 400 lbs? None of those are quite the same thing.

Personally, I will be happy with a supple body and the ability to ride my bike up a long hill without looking like I'm about to die at the top. I wouldn't compare myself with other people because they will want different things to me.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    honestly....

i have never been fit in my life so i cant really compare it to anything except how bad it felt to be NOT fit.

considering that last year i got winded walking up our single flight of stairs to bed, and i couldnt walk more than 6 blocks before my back started killing me, and i had to find special shoes so the tendons in my feet would support my weight, and the majority of my life was spent on my spot on the couch, where the leather was turning from dark brown to tan...

and now i can run a 5k (on a treadmill anyway), and lift weights and finish hour long classes and walk for 10 miles a day if i want with no problems... or even go to the gym and then a few hours later go back for yoga class...

seems fit to me. there is always room for improvement but at this point i am happy and dont spend a lot of time judging my fitness level except to pat myself on the back after a workout...
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    When I was younger, it was all about how much I weighed. But I'm at a a place where I've stopped obsessing about the number on the scale--it's just not a useful thing to do anymore. Now I measure fitness by strength, flexibility, stamina, energy level, mood, and how well I feel in general. When I think about fitness as an important part of overall health and I make overall health the goal, I find it easier to stay with the program and continue to make improvements and really take care of myself.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    I judge based on how I feel and how healthy/balanced my lifestyle is. If something is out of sync, I notice right away. I try not to put limitations because there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Right now I feel "soft" because I haven't been doing weight training like I used to. However, I still feel "fit" because I am constantly on my feet and stick to an awesome diet. I would love to get that muscle definition back though.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Fit, for me, is defined by the life you live. If you have chosen a very sedentary life where the most athletic ability you will need is to run half a block to catch a bus once in a while, and you can physically run that half a block, then hey, you're fit. You are fit to live the life you've chosen. Now, if tomorrow you decide you want to run a 5k in three months then guess what... you are suddenly woefully unfit. Your body didn't change, but what you ask of your body changed. For me, the goal is to be fit for the life I have now, and the life I want to have a year from now.

I like this answer a lot, because it is very realistic! I feel out of shape right now, because in my mind I should be able to run 5 miles routinely. But that is not what I have been doing. I chose the life of a runner and being out of that (by my own doing) makes me feel unfit even though I can walk forever without raising my heartrate much, I can lift a person with ease at my work, I can go up and down stairs fine...Some people can't do any of that. It is ALL PERSPECTIVE! Where you came from and where you want to be!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    What you can do what you couldn't do before.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    I'm strong but I'm not sure how fit I'd say I am. I'm not how I'd judge it. I look fit, it's never getting out of breath that stops me doing anything... It's injuring myself.
  • I also look at how long it takes me to recover from exertion.