When the sun sets, my binging starts...

Options
I have past issues with bulimia (unfortunately, it is hard for me to talk about this too). Now, (especially with no longer having my gallbladder and having colon issues at the age of 20) I don't eat fried foods, count calories (basically, nothing abnormal I would say not obsessive) and watch what I eat. I also walk for an hour every day. But, I have noticed that when the night comes around and I get border, more stressed, more depressed, etc I tend to binge eat. Then I feel guilty as ever and it is so hard to push back...urges that I used to have.

Does anyone have any advice about how to calm myself down and stop eating so much at night. I AM eating enough through out the day so I am no hungry...

Replies

• 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    make a new routine for the night. i.e. join a support class, walk, hang w/healthy friends, help someone with something, or just make calls to friends that want to talk or can give you support. it's endless. you have to find a hobby at night. mine is motivating all of mfpals threads every night and all of the above. if you want be part of my group, let me just warn you, they're AWESOME!
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also am without a gallbladder so I can absolutely understand the irritation it may cause. I got my gallstones from malnourishment after my own ED so I am finally on a healthy path and what I have found helps me most is drinking my diet soda's at nigh, they always curb my wandering mind to wanting to eat. Don't mistake mental hunger for physical hunger, if you are definitely tummy gurglin' hungry- have a little snack and don't panic over it.. I have done so much crying and stressing over late night eating that I have learned to understand that I get hungry! That it's okay! Opt for a healthy snack, a little yogurt, some nuts or a little munch on some veggies or fruit of your choice. Don't ever look down on yourself for eating.. we all need food and we all need nourishment.

You are BEAUTIFUL! Keep your head up! :flowerforyou:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby to keep yourself busy with. Start taking an online class. Read books. Go for a walk. Ride a bike.

If you're getting bored, you need to find something to do besides sit and watch TV.
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been a compulsive eater my whole life and kicking the bingeing habit is hard. I used to zone out watching tv and eat and eat and eat like I had a bottomless stomach especially at night after I came home from work. I've been doing really well for a couple weeks keeping to my 1400 calorie limit (give or take 100 cal) But yesterday after work I had pizza the first time since I've started eating healthier. Even though I ate only half of what i normally would have eaten before my diet, I felt completely sick. I really thought I was going to puke and then after I plugged it all into MFP I started crying because I was soooo far over my calorie count. I felt like a failure.

Today I forgave myself. I'm not a robot and neither are you. There are going to be days that your body just craves crap. (I have a weakness for soda) But you are strong and you will find a way around your own weaknesses. After work I would eat my last meal for the day and then keep my hands busy. I took up quilting, started going on bike rides. On days where I would have trouble curbing my midnight food needs I would only allow myself to eat fruits and veggies. And along the way I realized sometimes I started mistaking being tired for wanting food and if I went to lay down usually I'd fall right to sleep.

The fact that you have had an eating disorder and feelings of wanting to purge are starting to present themselves again thats definitely something to worry about when dealing with what you think of as uncontrollable eating. If you have trouble over an extended period of time with compulsive eating and nothing you do is helping, please see a doctor before you consider harming yourself in that way again. But don't let a few rough nights throw off your recovery. You are in control, no one is perfect.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way! once it's time for dinner, that's the time i eat so much.
    what i do is to get everything i need/want on my plate (in small portions), eat and walk away. i start to get myself preoccupied with assignments or work. or i clean my room, take a bath, plan my day/week and sleep. if you're feeling like you're about to binge eat, drink a glass of water!
  • godswill206
    Options
    Good thing you posted at least you realize you're in the danger zone. I think of it as interrupting the binge cycle. Do the opposite of what your food thoughts tell you to do, get a night time hobby that keeps you out of the house, call into a support group telephone meeting, volunteer, clean, sleep, read instead of watching tv, write, brush your teeth, call a friend/family member
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Relax with your favorite music and some flavored herbal tea. Or some herbal tea "supplements" like Sleepy Time with Valerian or Tension Tamer. They really do work if you shut everything else off and just sip and relax.