Newbie to strength training- advice on getting started?

Options
I'm pregnant and due in a few weeks and will probably have gained 60 pounds, EXACTLY like in my last two pregnancies :(

I've lost weight before mostly doing cardio, but I've noticed that people who lose while focusing on strength training look SO much better. I'll be breastfeeding and therefore burning the 500 calories I used to burn on an elliptical just feeding my baby, so that alleviates some of the fears I have about doing less cardio.

I have a book called "You are your own gym" with what looks like a great home program in it. I do not want to join a gym, and we have weights at home, plus resistance bands, balls, etc.

Tips for getting started? I'm guessing I'll have to wait a few weeks after having the baby?

Replies

• mile626
    Options
    Google "Starting Strength". It's an excellent starter program that is easy to follow.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is also a great resource! (Its a book). I lift from home, though I was just getting into it when I got pregnant (due next week), so I'm going to be starting over. The book you have was also recommended to me, but I haven't read it yet. Definitely read the NRLFW! You need minimal equipment and the plan is really simple!