I don't know where to start, help

Options
I'm a guy, 18 years old, 170 lbs, 5'7. I was going to the GYM and playing football as a CB/WR and they kept telling me to gain weight and I kept eating and eating (a lot of junk food) and I end up losing my 6 pack. I am still fast and strong but I gained 15 lbs since the beginning of 2014 and I'm sure most of them are fat. I want to start to do Insanity and I was thinking about following this diet that a nutritionist gave me:

Before you eat anything, first thing in the morning, drink 2 glasses of water.
Breakfast: 1 cup of milk and a toast.
An hour after (not sure why exactly an hour after and not 2-3 as a snack, but whatever): a fruit. (he said any kind of fruit, I'm going to stick with apples, peaches, oranges and bananas, is that good?)
Lunch: 100 grams of pasta or rice with vegetables or marinara sausage.
An hour after lunch another fruit.
Dinner: Meat or fish and salad (salad, tomatoes, whatever, all that healthy stuff)
An hour later another fruit.
During the day I was told to drink about 1 gallon of water.

I'm trying to lose 15-20 lbs by the way, hopefully before 2015. Any advice/thoughts ?Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks. :)
By the way, I live in Italy so you don't even find some food that you find in the US like oatmeal for example so that's why he gave me this mediterranean diet.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi, it would be helpful if you could say what your goal is. Is it:
    - lose 15lb or
    - build muscle or
    - do Insanity or
    - get your abs back or
    - eat more fruit
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lose 15 lbs, that's all.
  • rkammerer
    rkammerer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the fruit after an hour is to stabilize your blood sugar but I've never heard of a diet plan like that. Interesting.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way too many carbs and natural sugar to me... :s

It's all about trail and error when it comes to forming a meal plan or deciding what you're going to eat I believe. Make sure your macros are done (or close to done) each day. Do some research in how much carb, fat and protein you need too. Don't just put your faith in one person.
  • becess96
    Options
    Personally I was surprised too because, well, the diet is healthy, I mean no sugar and junk food which is great since I've been eating sugar and burgers everyday for months lol on the other hand I was expecting less fruit and more protein like eggs, or something like that ..
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You can eat like that or you can just do the MFP plan, which suggests a calorie level for you and you eat whatever/whenever you want, within that calorie level.

My other advice would be if you haven't already, don't waste your money on Beachbody DVDs. There is nothing special about them except being way overpriced and put out by a company with really bad practices. Do anything else for cardio, preferably something you enjoy.

Good luck!
  • logg1e
    Options
    You can eat like that or you can just do the MFP plan, which suggests a calorie level for you and you eat whatever/whenever you want, within that calorie level.

This. I would calculate your calorie goal for a 1lb a week loss. That's it.

I wouldn't follow that diet you described earlier.
  • becess96
    Options
    I added my goals and the fact that I'll be exercising about 40 minutes of HIIT everyday and it says I should only eat 1,200 calories. Damn that's little calories lol
  • logg1e
    Options
    I prefer this calculator, http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and just transfer these figures to MFP.
  • clduncan75
    clduncan75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! That calculator site is rad! Thank you! :)