Calcium without dairy?

Options
Hi guys :)

Got any ideas for calcium without dairy? I mean milk is cool and all but... anything else?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Dairy is not actually as good a source of calcium as most people think. Leafy greens and things like broccoli actually have more calcium. The link below has a good list at the bottom also remember if you drink or use non dairy milks most of them have calcium added. I've never had any problem with calcium as a 15 year vegan neither has my wife

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Dairy is not actually as good a source of calcium as most people think. Leafy greens and things like broccoli actually have more calcium. The link below has a good list at the bottom also remember if you drink or use non dairy milks most of them have calcium added. I've never had any problem with calcium as a 15 year vegan neither has my wife

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php
    No, actually dairy is a great source of calcium........unless you ask a vegan, which you've linked to.

Ground egg shells is what I've used for eons.......
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk (the milk protein, casein, is the problem - not lactose.) I use almond milk. It's got 50% more calcium per serving than cow's milk. If you use the unsweetened version (which I do) it has zero grams of sugar and hardly any calories. Not a good source for protein, but I get that from other sources, so that's not a problem for me. :drinker:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Foods high in calcium: Collards, spinach, and other greens, beans, green beans, broccoli, almonds, brown rice, dried figs and apricots, fresh kiwi
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Another great source not listed are chia seeds, just 2 tbsp will provide ~20% of the recommended amount of daily calcium (among many other nutritional benefits)! I sprinkle them on yogurt, toss them in smoothies, turn them into pudding, and so on and so forth.
  • barbibear
    barbibear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like Almond milk. Has more calcium than milk and far fewer calories.