Tummy Pudge

Options
I have five babies ranging in age from 3 to 15 years. I do stomach crunches and side crunches a few times a week. I know my technique is proper, but I think I am missing an exercise because I cannot seem to flatten my lower stomach aka pudge. From the belly button up I look fine, but the remainder of my core looks stretched and pudgy. Any ideas on what crunches I am missing to flatten this part of my stomach?

Replies

• aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try doing crunches but put one let straight out on the ground instead of bent and then alternate. Also, I have heard bicycle crunches help with that.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Sounds like you need to do some reverse crunches. They target your lower abs (below button). Heres how to do them:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1129
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    google pilates 100s (I'd try and explain but a picture would probably be much more helpful). I also found this youtube channel, I am not sure how satisfactory it is but it might help you get a head start http://www.youtube.com/user/flatstomachexercises
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    im just retracting this post before i get torn apart by a bunch of ex pregnant women and hormonal people notice the edit*
  • zorro123444
    Options
    I agree that reverse crunches can help but doing some extra cardio to cut body fat will be key as well. I recommend spending a couple of bucks to get an ab workout video to follow. It helps me to have someone run through a routine with me and keep me working hard at it otherwise I slack off if I'm just trying to go it alone. Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The pooch that most mother's of several children carry, is not just fat! It is also a lot of stretched out skin. Now all the crunches in the world will tone and define those muscles, but the layer of fat over them will cover that definition. Truth be told, no amount of diet and exercise will completely retract that skin. But, remember the more dedication and time one puts into their weightloss, the more likely that skin will shrink up a bit. Don't be discouraged!

I had just hit my goal weight when baby number 4 was announced. So here I am starting all over again.
  • ariesldsgal
    ariesldsgal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas.
  • colita123
    Options
    I had the same problem I notice if i drink water and juice and eat plenty of vegetables that flatten my tummy crunches or good but watch your food intake . Get a program for a week and watch food that make you blot
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    that pooch is actually fat so not to sound mean but you need to lose more fat just to reduce that lower pooch

Dude...let me assure you...it's not just fat. Because you've never popped out a baby...I doubt you would understand, lol. There is usually a lot of loose skin as well...especially with more children or in my case going from 85 pounds to 120 in 9 months. I've never been over weight...always under actually and no amount of burning fat will get rid of it. I'm currently just under 90 pounds and have a BF% of 18...and I still cannot get the pooch gone. My OB/GYN and trainer both said I would have to have a tummy tuck in order to get rid of it. And before anyone calls me out for having an ED...check my profile out.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, lots of cardio to reduce the fat under the skin is helping somewhat, but in my case much of it is stretched skin due to pregnancy, and as the previous poster said, nothing but surgery will remove that. (and thtats not an option for me) Although toning the muscles underneath will help it to sit better if you kwim. Keep up with the exercises.