Planking Advice

Options
I know there several dozen pages about it, I just hoped I'd get a quicker response by asking.

I want to increase my plank time.
At the moment, I seem to get to around 1min and my body is burning, and shaking so bad to I have to stop.

Is the best way to increase by just doing them often?
Are there any other exercises that would help me increase that core strength I need to go longer.

I'm just feeling frustrated that I don't seem to be improving.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A minute is respectable. Once a person can plank for a minute, i would progress to more dynamic variations (l leg up, 1 arm up, rotating, etc). Eventually progress to deadlifts, squats and other standing exercises, since our core is trained best when standing. Then you can probably ditch the planks entirely.. unless you're in some kind of plank contest or something.. in which case keep practicing them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Holding a plank beyond 1 minute isn't needed to increase "strength" of the core. Beyond 1 minute is working on the "muscle endurance" (think running long distance here), of the core.

If you want to strengthen the core, then do some of the exercises mentioned above.

IMO, one of the best core strengthening exercises is the overhead barbell squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • johnhunter001
    Options
    Hey man, if you're only doing it for 1 minute, you're probably doing it RIGHT.
    Most people do the plank completely wrong and they're able to do it for 2 minutes +

Make sure your hips are tucked forward, back is straight, your head is over your shoulders and hand placement- FEEL your abs shake, that's your core stabilizing itself- the main purpose of the abdominals.

Keep up the good technique and you'll be able to do it longer (;
    Just keep doing it right haha