What foods have no sodium or really low sodium??? Lets make

Options
So I know that alot of people have problems keeping their sodium in check, I happen to be one of these people. For me personally it's about the amount of sodium that is already in the food since I rarely add salt to anything.

So lets all make a list of the foods we find that have zero or very little sodium...
Post the food and amounts please :)

1. Jasmine Rice - ZERO SODIUM
2. Almonds - ZERO SODIUM
3. Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats (Strawberry Delight for sure, haven't checked the others) - ZERO SODIUM
4. Individually packaged servings of tilapia and salmon (I get mine at foodlion, don't know the brand) - 40mg

Who's next?? Everyone please add add add to the list!!

Replies

• datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, eggs are low in sodium. The eggs I have say 65 mg sodium.

And just in case anyone finds this useful, here's a site with info on dining out with sodium in mind (among other things):

http://healthydiningfinder.com/sodiumsavvy.asp
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I was going to add a few thing but I was doing a search for a list that had some good ideas on it and found this link to add to your thread::flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/126641-really-low-sodium?hl=low+sodium+food+list#posts-1719337

There's some good ideas in there and also a couple site links to check out.

Thanks for the reminder:wink:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    With the exception of the last few days I've been REALLY good about the sodium. It's less about the ok's for me than it is knowing what to avoid.

I stay away from:
    * Soy Sauce (fish sauce, hoisin & worstershire are also BIG offenders)
    * Prepackaged meals and most instant meals- 1 package of instant oatmeal has more sodium that 2 peices of center cut bacon. :noway: I picked up a can of Healthy Choice Soup the other day that had 860mg of sodium PER SERVING... SERVINGS PER CAN?!?!?!? 2.5!!!!
    * Immataion Krab... made that mistake :grumble:
    * snack crackers
    * sausage, hot dogs
    * TURKEY BACON (again has more salt that regular bacon and is about the same in the fat department as center cut... just sayin' I :heart: REAL bacon)
    * almost anything in a Jar or Can- seemingly innocent Spaghetti Sauce (no meat) averages 500mg of sodium for 1/2 a cup...
    * Premixed Spices (think packs of taco seasoning, spaghetti seasoning etc...)

SOOOOOO what do you do?
    * If you can't buy fresh veggies- by frozen instead of canned
    * Use no salt added stewed tomatoes to make marinara (add spices to make them yummy)
    * Make your own spice mixes- Taco Seasoning= Chili Powder, Cayenne, Crushted Red Pepper, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Dried Onion and a pinch of oregano and black pepper Kick up the spice factor to make up for the lack of salt...
    * If you eat frozen meals for convenience: Take a day to cook A LOT, package them in single serve sizes and keep in the freezer = easy lunches SANS SALT!!
    * Skip Salad Dressings for your own basalmic and olive oil mix... YES it's more cals BUT the fats are healthy fats and the sodium is nil.
    * Look for No Salt added labels if you MUST by prepackaged stuff

Keep in mind a lot of the "reduced fat" and "low fat" foods have a ton of salt added to make up for the lack of flavor. Sometimes the extra cals and fat are worth it. But it's all about balance. :flowerforyou:
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

* Make your own spice mixes- Taco Seasoning= Chili Powder, Cayenne, Crushted Red Pepper, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Dried Onion and a pinch of oregano and black pepper Kick up the spice factor to make up for the lack of salt...

Great idea.....I always try to get the lower sodium packets BUT always have the sodium side effects that I get anyways.....How much do you put of each? Is it equal parts?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Great idea.....I always try to get the lower sodium packets BUT always have the sodium side effects that I get anyways.....How much do you put of each? Is it equal parts?

I do it to taste (I never measure anything...) BUT The base is chili powder and garlic (so equal parts of those) I like it hot so I also do an equal part cayenne. The cumin is probably about 1/2 the amount of the previous ingredients I shake in the crushed red pepper and onion til it looks right (:blushing: ) and then a nice sprinkle of oregano and black pepper.

Here's a link to a similar recipe- omit the salt and add more heat to make up for it.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx

Hope that helps! :drinker:
  • MichaelPowell
    Options
    So I know that alot of people have problems keeping their sodium in check, I happen to be one of these people. For me personally it's about the amount of sodium that is already in the food since I rarely add salt to anything.

So lets all make a list of the foods we find that have zero or very little sodium...
    Post the food and amounts please :)

1. Jasmine Rice - ZERO SODIUM
    2. Almonds - ZERO SODIUM
    3. Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats (Strawberry Delight for sure, haven't checked the others) - ZERO SODIUM
    4. Individually packaged servings of tilapia and salmon (I get mine at foodlion, don't know the brand) - 40mg

Who's next?? Everyone please add add add to the list!!

Apple Cider Vinegar.
    Apples.
    Red Onions.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything fresh (not processed) has next to no sodium. Such as fresh fruits and veggies and meats that have had nothing added to them. If you're watching your sodium levels making meals at home is the way to go so you can control exactly what goes into your food. I don't added salt to anything I make at home.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the double post