• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Try power walking.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

Even a slight hardly noticeable incline like 5 grade can double the calories burned compared to walking on level ground at the same speed. Now the steeper it gets the more calories you burn. It does not have to be the kind you slide off of to make a serious dent in your daily burn.

A 5% grade is more than "slight hardly noticeable" and is below the point where net caloric burn doubles. Your definition may or may not match what the OP is walking when claiming a "steep incline".

Yes, 5% is ever so slightly below double burns (6% burns more than double). I doubt anyone would consider anything less than 5% a "steep incline". I think you are trying to nitpick here.

Short answer is: yes, any increase in incline is an increase in caloric burn, and if it happens to raise heart rate enough it will also improve cardiovascular fitness regardless of calories burned, and in the end, any activity one can stick to long term is better than an activity that one would do for a week then quit.
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

When I mean steep incline, after warming up, I put tge treadmill on an incline of 15 its as high as it will go lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    So I have a question, I hate running always have. But I know cardio is important when losing fat, so instead I walk on a very steep incline at 3.5mph will this still help me lose what I need to within time?
    Cardio is for heart health. Calorie deficit is for losing fat. One could do ALL the cardio they want ALL day, but if you eat more than you burn, you won't lose any fat.
    One burns more body fat sleeping 8 hours than working out hard for 1 hour. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You are going to burn roughly the same number of calories per mile... But, obviously, running is going to get you there more quickly! No worries - do what you enjoy! Good luck!
    For just about every person, one will burn about 50 calories less walking a mile than running a mile. So if it's 4 miles, that's 200 calories difference.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

When I mean steep incline, after warming up, I put tge treadmill on an incline of 15 its as high as it will go lol
    Do you hold on? If so, you've reduced the resistance anywhere from 30%-50%. Lower it to an incline you can do without holding on.

IDEA Fitness member
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

Even a slight hardly noticeable incline like 5 grade can double the calories burned compared to walking on level ground at the same speed. Now the steeper it gets the more calories you burn. It does not have to be the kind you slide off of to make a serious dent in your daily burn.

A 5% grade is more than "slight hardly noticeable" and is below the point where net caloric burn doubles. Your definition may or may not match what the OP is walking when claiming a "steep incline".

Yes, 5% is ever so slightly below double burns (6% burns more than double). I doubt anyone would consider anything less than 5% a "steep incline". I think you are trying to nitpick here.

Short answer is: yes, any increase in incline is an increase in caloric burn, and if it happens to raise heart rate enough it will also improve cardiovascular fitness regardless of calories burned, and in the end, any activity one can stick to long term is better than an activity that one would do for a week then quit.

You randomly select things without knowing what the OP does, then claim I'm trying to nitpick? Thanks for the laugh.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

Do you hold on? If so, you've reduced the resistance anywhere from 30%-50%. Lower it to an incline you can do without holding on.

IDEA Fitness member

She's in stress test range ... quite literally.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

I have to say, given the choice between going for a long run in the woods or spending more than five minutes on a hamster wheel, I'll take the run. If you choose to subject ourself to a dreadmill I can understand why you'd hate rnning.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

You randomly select things without knowing what the OP does, then claim I'm trying to nitpick? Thanks for the laugh.

OP asked about incline walking. I provided information about incline walking (along with examples of how effective it can be). Regardless of what OP does or what incline she uses, the information and examples I provided give her an idea about its effectiveness and answer her question about it being cardio and burning calories. I'm not the kind of person who gets sucked into bickering, so my replies to you end here.

To OP:
    It's very admirable that you can manage a 3.5 mph walk on 15 incline. It takes a fit person to do that. If you do hold onto rails I suggest you either lower incline or lower speed enough to have a good balance without holding, then gradually increase from there.

I remember how I kept losing balance at 2.7 mph on 15, and it was quite challenging to the point where I couldn't keep it up for more than a minute. I lowered it to 2.2 and gradually increased. Now I do 2.7 without any issues with balance and can last for a good while.

Also, if treadmill is what you enjoy, treadmill is what you should do. Just find what you like and stick with it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You are going to burn roughly the same number of calories per mile... But, obviously, running is going to get you there more quickly! No worries - do what you enjoy! Good luck!
    For just about every person, one will burn about 50 calories less walking a mile than running a mile. So if it's 4 miles, that's 200 calories difference.
    Do you have a source for that or is that based on the Runners World article that gets referred to a lot here? I think that article has some creative math, looking at its sources. In any event, the study found its participants burned on average 81 walking and 115 running, so it's not quite that dire.

This was a thread I started about that article. Only one person joined in, really, but he agreed with me the math can't be right.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1392879-using-3-x-weight-for-net-calories-walking?hl=runners+world+article#posts-21102328
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You know what the best exercise is? The one you enjoy the most.

If you hate doing something, you won't do it. But if you find an activity that you really enjoy, you'll be willing to do it for hours at a time. In the end, what is better, burning 500 calories over two hours or burning 400 over 30 minutes then quitting?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I hated running too, but I've started doing it in the last month. Decided I wanted to run in the 5k come next June so I'm doing it. I hurt like heck after beginning but it's all better now. But honestly don't do it if you don't like to. Like I said I hated it but have now began to enjoy it and look forward to doing it. I don't ever plan on running a marathon or even a half marathon but 5k's may just work great for me. I burn 400 calories (give or take) running 2 miles and walking the same two miles I burn a little over 200 calories (again give or take). I do both every morning (5 days a week anyways), Walk a mile, run a mile, walk a mile, run a mile, then walk a bit more for my cool down. Can't wait for my run/walk tomorrow. Strange how you change your attitude after a few days of continuing, and working toward a goal. Anyway, do what you like to do. But never give up trying new things and if you don't like it move onto something else.

Guess I didn't really answer your question, just wanted to address the hate running comment. Sorry I'm no help
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I hated running too. Due to a crazy fluke I got on a treadmill one day at the ripe old age of 53 and I've been running ever since. At first I did it to lose weight and get fit, but now I do it because I love it! Not only that, I now have the cardio fitness of people half my age. Yay running!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Just don't make the mistake of walking at night and you'll be fine

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when those calories burned don't count. :grumble:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So I have a question, I hate running always have. But I know cardio is important when losing fat, so instead I walk on a very steep incline at 3.5mph will this still help me lose what I need to within time?

No one has to run. Cardio comes in various forms:

- Dance
    - Walking
    - Cycling
    - jump rope
    - step aerobics
    - swimming
    - rowing
    - kick boxing
    - etc...

Find something that you enjoy and can stick to.