Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd save the money and just get tatted up instead
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle-aged, white man and I know that this post, this opinion, will sound harsh. It may well be that you have a medical condition whereby you cannot lose weight unless drastic surgical means are taken. However, from what I read of your profile, that does not apply therefore, I cannot support your choice.

According to medical evidence, you'll drop about 30 lbs after your $30K operation. Yup, that's $1000 per lb. After that you'll fight for every ounce, just like everyone else on this site. Now, what about the remaining 130 lbs? Do you seriously believe this is the ONLY WAY that you can drop you weight. I, for one am calling BS.

According to your profile, you've already dropped 20 lbs and, you're a young woman. Should you really make a permanent, life-altering decision right now? After all, you've proven that you can lose weight.

There are thousands of people on MFP, men and women, who have lost well over 100 lbs without surgery. Three of them are in my little circle. I've dropped 40 and you've already dropped 20. You've already proven that you can lose weight. It is just going to take a couple of years and you're going to need some friends along the way. Think of it this way, your daughter's a preschooler now. By the time she starts First Grade, you can be a size 5 (or so), without surgery, if you want to. You can look hot in a bathing suit by the time your daughter starts school, if you want to.

You're an adult and you can make your own decisions but, since you've thrown it out there and asked for opinions, I must ask, "Is this really your only option?"

I went down the same road and decided that I would try once again before opting for surgery. I firmly believe that this time next year, I'll be down to about 200 lbs from my current 295. Now, I may only make it 70% of the way there in a year, nonetheless, the weight loss and life will be the result of effort on my part,

If you have no other choice and if your doctor says you have no other choice and, if another doctor says that you have no other choice, proceed. However, if that does not apply, see where you are in 6 months before you make the decision.

This is some good advie. Trust me I was at 350, i tried exercising before and never losing weight, thinking surgery would probably be my only option because for some reason I can't lose weight.
    However when I started dieting again 2 weeks ago, this time I did A LOT of research. At the start eating habits is 90%+ of the problem/solution. Even though I was exercising I was eating like a pig. So this time I am eating properly and the weight is coming off at a fairly quick pace at the start. I just started so I know it will slow down and hit plateaus, but I am fine with that. I am proud that I am doing it on my own.
    Also consider to start eating properly now, soi that if you do go to surgery, you will already know how to eat properly, not struggling afterwards... and if you start eating properly now well maybe that is all it will take. Unless like the guy I am quoting is true, where it really is a medical condition that you can't lose weight.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    it's great to want to hear the success stories, but I suggest you also look at the "unsuccessful" stories as well. I personally know of 3 people who have had weight loss surgeries... all of whom have suffered irreparable consequences that are not necessarily something out of the ordinary or a fluke.

Please make sure you are doing all the research... do not focus on the so-called success stories, although they are nice to hear. Make sure to put some of that focus on the not-so-successful stories as well. You need to hear some of the horror stories also before you make a life changing decision that will undoubtedly affect you and your children for the rest of your lives.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Get the dragon wrapped around the dagger piercing the heart that says "MOM" on it!

Oh, wait... not about tattoos?

Well, after you get sleeved, you should consider getting "sleeved." The kiddos might like it.
  • Music4theMaster
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey.:smile:
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle-aged, white man and I know that this post, this opinion, will sound harsh. It may well be that you have a medical condition whereby you cannot lose weight unless drastic surgical means are taken. However, from what I read of your profile, that does not apply therefore, I cannot support your choice.

According to medical evidence, you'll drop about 30 lbs after your $30K operation. Yup, that's $1000 per lb. After that you'll fight for every ounce, just like everyone else on this site. Now, what about the remaining 130 lbs? Do you seriously believe this is the ONLY WAY that you can drop you weight. I, for one am calling BS.

According to your profile, you've already dropped 20 lbs and, you're a young woman. Should you really make a permanent, life-altering decision right now? After all, you've proven that you can lose weight.

There are thousands of people on MFP, men and women, who have lost well over 100 lbs without surgery. Three of them are in my little circle. I've dropped 40 and you've already dropped 20. You've already proven that you can lose weight. It is just going to take a couple of years and you're going to need some friends along the way. Think of it this way, your daughter's a preschooler now. By the time she starts First Grade, you can be a size 5 (or so), without surgery, if you want to. You can look hot in a bathing suit by the time your daughter starts school, if you want to.

You're an adult and you can make your own decisions but, since you've thrown it out there and asked for opinions, I must ask, "Is this really your only option?"

I went down the same road and decided that I would try once again before opting for surgery. I firmly believe that this time next year, I'll be down to about 200 lbs from my current 295. Now, I may only make it 70% of the way there in a year, nonetheless, the weight loss and life will be the result of effort on my part,

If you have no other choice and if your doctor says you have no other choice and, if another doctor says that you have no other choice, proceed. However, if that does not apply, see where you are in 6 months before you make the decision.

This
    I hope that you have explored other options before taking this route. Any surgery comes with risks, and if you don't learn proper eating you will fail. The great thing about MFP is that most of the community will accept you and your flaws, and they will help lift you back up ater a bad day, they will dust off your tail feathers and tell you to get back to work. I have learned healthier eating habits just simply by tinkering around with my diary, and punching in something I was really craving and having number spit back that was about 50 % of my daily allowance (it put the breaks on that craving...at least for that day). I think you owe it to yourself to give MFP 6 months or so, and dedicate some HARD work to it. I think once you start seeing the results, realize that you can do it with out masssively limiting intake w/ some gnarly side effects (from what I understand), that you wont regret your decision! Good Luck in what ever you choose, I hope you see your goals attained!!
  • elizabethillahee
    Options
    I lost forty pounds before my gastric sleeve, but it was only the carrot of the surgery that got me to loose so much. I wanted to convince my health coverage that I was a good candidate, and once I did I kept loosing because I wanted the best odds possible for getting through the surgery. I did not like all the education and support groups my healthcare provider made me go through before the surgery but it did mentally prepare me to make a lifestyle change. I lost 140 pounds after surgery, for a total 180 pound loss. It was easy! "It's just a tool" but it is a fantastic tool! Keeping it off? Well, it was super easy at first but I'm four years out and I've started choosing calorie rich foods and snacking frequently on candy. I am back on myfitnesspal because when I force myself to track my calories I automatically pay more attention, eat less calories and loose weight.

Good luck!
  • micromommy850
    Options
    Hello. First of all I'd like to ask why you would bother writing all of this when I did not ask for negative responses. I have researched this option and weighed it carefully for two years, now. I have taken classes, met with nearly a dozen doctors, attended many support groups and have concluded (with the validation of ALL of my physicians) that this is the best choice for me. I HAVE read up on the negative stories and the risks, which is why I would like to hear more positive stories, as well.

I lost the first 20 lbs on my own, yes, but that is mostly water. You reading that I lost 20 lbs, out the the 160-170 I need to lose, does not give you a reason to "not support [my] choice". It is my choice, that does not require the approval of an ignorant stranger.

You have no idea what my life is like. I am only 24 years old, and I went from being a swimmer and volleyball player that loved to go four-wheeling every day, to a woman that falls out of bed because my joints do not stay connected anymore. I pick up a pillow and dislocate my wrist. I sit on the floor to play with my toddler, and I can't get back up because my hips dislocate. I am in a wheelchair, permanently, and my entire family has had to rearrange their lives to help me. My weigh has no caused this, but it does make my joints deteriorate that much faster. So seeing as I cannot exercise, other than physical therapy, losing over 150 lbs as fast as possible is hard to do without extreme measures.

With my medical problems my insurance covers this procedure 100%, because it is MEDICALLY NECESSARY. Therefore that 1k per pound nonsense is just that: nonsense.

I am not doing this to "look hot" or be any particular size. I am doing this because the longer the weight is on my joints, the faster I am going to need MORE surgeries on my joints and the less I can do with my daughter.

If you are here to stir the pot, congratulations. You've made a young crippled mother upset. I hope that entertains you for the evening.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you never stated in your opening statement that you have devastating medical issues that have confined you to a wheelchair. Should you have? don't know... but really, what we read is that you are a 24 year old who managed to lose some pre surgery weight ... period. Coming from a 59 year old who has spent that first 58 years of her life twice her normal size and finally finding the determination and will to lose it on my own, I was a little offended by someone who was opting for surgery when I know there are other ways. I also have family members who have suffered devastating results from this sort of surgery so it is not all that difficult to see or understand the adversity you received about your potential surgery.

Granted, you asked for the success stories only, but you need to understand that there are many of us who have either had WLS or know people who did... and didn't want to see a young mother put herself through a risky surgery if it really wasn't necessary. I would strongly suggest that next time you are looking for some advice on such a controversial subject, that you provide a little bit about your background so we have a better understanding about why you are looking at this. I don't think anyone meant to insult you or make you feel bad by responding in a manner that you did not appreciate... but you have to understand that we were not given any specifics to go on. I hope the best for you... what ever that is... and fwiw... I am still not in favor of WLS, but if this is what you have decided on, I hope all goes well and your child has her mother around for a long long time.