If I were new here what advice would you give me?

Options
"BerryH has logged in for 1300 days in a row!"

OK forget that. I've lost 30lbs with MFP. Then I put all but 12lb back on. I need to lose two stones (28lbs) to get to my fighting weight.

Eating plans and cutting out food groups don't suit me, but with the appropriate exercise calorie deficit I can stick to MFP-recommended calories.

Exercise wise I love running, swimming and fun, varied exercise classes or DVDs, but if I do anything high-impact more than two days a week I injure my back or leg joints, so Insanity-alikes are out. I do need to do some resistance training but NROLFW or Stronglifts bored me to tears. I am a gym member.

My hindrances are recurring severe lower back pain which all but cripples me, a recent bout of which is just receding, and foot or hip pain when I run too far or more than twice a week. Also my partner is battling depression and out of work, so when I get home from work I have to be "present" and can't just bung on a DVD. I just turned 47 so I think part of my problem is I can't do what I did when I was 30 and got so fit I was doing triathlons and fitness competitions.

Advice please - hit me!

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    BMR (don't eat below it)
    Calculate your TDEE (then create a reasonable deficit from that)

If you're close to a healthy weight (which 28lbs really isn't that far from) only look to create a 500cal a day deficit (ie. 1lb loss per week) so that you can maintain your lean muscle mass and have more calories to eat so you don't feel overly restricted.

Stick with exercises that don't make your back flare up whenever possible.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    My advice would be 'learn to adjust to deficit eating'. It takes practice but it's much, much easier than exercising your way into a deficit, even for people without pain and time issues.

And if that's 100% off the table, try walking. A lot. Take your partner, it's good for depression, too.

Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Advice please - hit me!

Log accurately, and stay as far away from the forums as possible.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Everyone beginning a weight loss journey should get a physical and discuss their weight and how to go about losing it. Get a ballpark target weight and daily calorie total. Find out what foods you should and shouldn't be eating. Ask about sodium if it isn't brought up. See what, if any, exercise limits you have. Follow the advice.

Ignore fitness gurus. They don't know you and aren't qualified to advise you, even if they did. It's great to listen to them, but never follow their advice over actual, sound medical advice.

Weigh your food. If you forget to weigh it and no longer can (like if you dump some peas into something you're cooking), overestimate rather than underestimate. Weigh pre-packaged portions. Labels lie, lol. Do this for at least six weeks.

Log EVERYTHING!! Even if you overeat by 10,000 calories and have to log a bunch of things. LOG THEM.

Exercise. Find something you like. When you get sick of it, switch things up, but never stop moving. I like swimming. You can get cardio and resistance in the pool. It's super easy on joints (many community pools are even kept warm, just because older people with joint issues use them so often) and the pool is one place where the fat doesn't hold you back.

Take pictures of naked you. I wish I had thought to do it. When you've lost a lot, you're going to want to compare your new self to your old one.

Be committed, determined and patient. It's a long road. You're going to need those qualities.

Good luck!!
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your diary. Write down exactly what and how much you eat.
  • FeefWV
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You're an inspiration for sure.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Cooking more meals & walking around the neighborhood together will improve his mood & your relationship. You need to add more fiber from veggies & lean protein to increase your workout stamina. Best wishes from someone who knows depression.
  • FeefWV
    Options
    That will work for me too!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do NOT guesstimate. Use a food scale. Here is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGcdyfDM3oQ

Success comes from doing little things day in and day out. Consistency!

Be aware of EVERYTHING you put in your body...every lick, bite, taste...it adds up.

Weight loss begins with what you eat. Exercise is the icing on the cake. So you can't exercise away a bad diet.

This is a LIFESTYLE journey. Do NOT make changes that you know you will not sustain...like say cut out bread if you love bread just to get to a certain weight. What will you do with bread or whatever when you get to that weight?

NO cheat days. Fit whatever into your calories. Cheat days is mentally telling yourself to have something "bad" when you're trying to be "good" AND by the way, NO food is bad or good...food is simply fuel.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, and fantastic reminders of why I stayed here so long and why MFP works when you stick with it, thanks pals!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Cooking more meals & walking around the neighborhood together will improve his mood & your relationship. You need to add more fiber from veggies & lean protein to increase your workout stamina. Best wishes from someone who knows depression.
    Thanks for this. I think we've walked more together (without a pub at the end!) over the last week than at any time over the past five years! He's a chef and currently unemployed because of his condition and he cooking and eating more at home than he has for ages. He'd got very thin through just not being interested in eating.