50 mile bike ride, one year, 65 lbs

Last summer, I took up bike commuting. I did pretty well, got in a hundred or two miles a month. Didn't watch what I was eating, so didn't lose any weight, but I enjoyed it. I signed up for the Minneapolis Bike Tour last September and completed 50 miles in 5 hours. I knew I was terribly overweight, and making the hills were a struggle. But, it still took me another 3 months to wake the heck up and buckle down on tracking. With the onset of fall and being very busy at work, I stopped biking and gained another 5 lbs.

So here I am, Minneapolis Bike Tour day again. This year I totally kicked it in the behind. I'm 65 lbs less my all time high weight and it makes a great deal of difference on the bike. Today I averaged 15 mph, a full 50% improvement over last year. The hills were a breeze. I passed a gazillion people. And I feel awesome. I'm planning a week long bike tour next summer, and thinking about doing a century bike ride. My dad, who has done both Minneapolis Bike Tours with me, wants to finish a century in less than 6 hours. If I work hard, maybe I can do it with him..

Keep working peeps, losing weight and getting fitter is the best thing I've ever done and is well worth every smaller portion size I've grappled with these last 9 months.

3500ylw.jpg

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    That's very inspiring! Good job!

~And it's good to see other cyclists wearing helmets; such a good habit!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Last summer, I took up bike commuting. I did pretty well, got in a hundred or two miles a month. Didn't watch what I was eating, so didn't lose any weight, but I enjoyed it. I signed up for the Minneapolis Bike Tour last September and completed 50 miles in 5 hours. I knew I was terribly overweight, and making the hills were a struggle. But, it still took me another 3 months to wake the heck up and buckle down on tracking. With the onset of fall and being very busy at work, I stopped biking and gained another 5 lbs.

So here I am, Minneapolis Bike Tour day again. This year I totally kicked it in the behind. I'm 65 lbs less my all time high weight and it makes a great deal of difference on the bike. Today I averaged 15 mph, a full 50% improvement over last year. The hills were a breeze. I passed a gazillion people. And I feel awesome. I'm planning a week long bike tour next summer, and thinking about doing a century bike ride. My dad, who has done both Minneapolis Bike Tours with me, wants to finish a century in less than 6 hours. If I work hard, maybe I can do it with him..

Keep working peeps, losing weight and getting fitter is the best thing I've ever done and is well worth every smaller portion size I've grappled with these last 9 months.

3500ylw.jpg

Congrats! Come down to Iowa and do RAGBRAI next year!
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    You look like half the woman you were! Great job with the biking too!
    (Helmet wearing is required by law in Australia)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Helmets required by tour organizers :)

re: Ragbrai, holy lotsa hills. The Twin Cities are relatively flat, so would have to do quite a bit of training. Not a big fan of hills :)
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    You look great. Glad it worked for you
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    You commute by bicycle in Minnesota...in Winter? You are a badass!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Brilliant, look fab too
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Well done!

You might try a rail trail for your first century. If you can do 50 up and down hills, you can do a mostly flat century!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Wow, good for you. I've only done 40km at one go myself (about 24 miles). Inspiring!
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Congratulations!!! That's amazing!! I'm kind of wanting to get a bike too, the Twin Cities is amazing for bicyclists! I feel like everyone is turning to biking!! I work like 10 minutes (by car) away, maybe that would be a nice alternative to my gas guzzling pos car. Lol. But wow, what a transformation!!! :)
  • tifftwoten
    tifftwoten Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks for the motivation! I too have been getting more fit over the past year, but haven't been watching portions and so now that's where I am having to put my focus. I know I will feel so much better when I do. You look great! Thanks for sharing.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    My lonest ride was 40... 50 is amazing! How far is your commute? My goal is 100 by next year...
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    looks like you rode your a** off! nice job. I bought a trainer so I can keep riding in the winter. so far 30 miles is my best, hope to follow in your bike tracks next year!
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Wow! Fantastic transformation. well done hun. x
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! If my last year's self could have looked forward and seen where I am today, I wouldn't have believed where I am now. It's hard work, but every day takes you a little bit closer to the finish line.
    You commute by bicycle in Minnesota...in Winter? You are a badass!

Haha, no, I'm not badass. I bike when it's not precipitating or when there's not ice on the ground. I do actually have dedicated bike trails almost the entire way to work that are theoretically maintained in the winter, but I'm terrified of slipping on ice and breaking a bone, so for now I can go until early November and then start up again at the end of March.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Awesome transformation, so proud of you! I grew up in the cities but now live in ND, we have people in town who bike all winter long, they have some serious tires though,
  • olgasgarden
    olgasgarden Posts: 34 Member
    thanks for this post. VERY INSPIRING! actually, read your post twice :) you rock, girl!
    i am trying to run my way to my target weight. this week my scale is refusing to budge, so i really needed some inspiration this week. i guess my body is taking a break. reading your post is very reassuring. thanks for taking the time and writing it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!