Good HRM

Options
I like to workout a lot doing workout videos, dancing videos, or by playing fitness/dancing games on my Xbox Kinect. My question is that some of the games give me an estimate of how many calories that I have burned, but I would love to know the actual amount.. I was looking into getting an Heart Rate Monitor.. Does anyone know any good ones that will let me know how many calories that I have burned, but at a reasonable price?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No HRM will give you the actual amount. Using heart rate to estimate burns for those kinds of exercises will result in large over-estimates, for most people, most of the time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    eBay! People are always selling gadgets they got and don't use. Just don't buy from China or from something that says the location is "United States." I tend to shy away from people with high sales amount, too. Most people who are selling something in the house didn't have 5,000 of them to sell.

You can usually find reasonable precipices.
  • KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just bought a HRM, the Rythm Plus from Scosche. It has excellent reviews and it's a decent price at $80. And it comes with a one year MVP membership on MapMyFitness which I also use in addition to MFP. I just ordered it yesterday so I do not have any personal reviews on it, but if you want to add me, I will be posting a review soon after :)
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No HRM will give you the actual amount. Using heart rate to estimate burns for those kinds of exercises will result in large over-estimates, for most people, most of the time.

I disagree. My HRM is usually far more conservative than MFP or running Apps that I've used
  • MissSweetie2010
    Options
    Thank you all. I have been looking on Amazon at different HRM's and was trying to figure out which brands are really good. I'm thinking of trying a Pyle Heart Rate Watch to see how I like it, since it's my first time ever using one.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are some heart rate monitors that actually work well and give a conservative estimation of how many calories you burn.
    I would say shop around and read plenty of reviews to make sure you are buying something you will like. Also, make sure you get something that if you don't like you can return after a couple of days if you don't like it.