I never understood the "I can't stop eating" posts until now

Options
I got on a new antidepressant (mirtazapine) and one unfortunate side effect is compulsive eating. So I gained, 6kg in about the same number of weeks. It took me a while to understand what was happening, and also I got into not weighing myself.

Anyway, so I understand now when people say that. I solved the issue of compulsive eating by banning myself from the local supermarkets after noon and tweeting everything that I'm about to eat (on a special weight loss twitter account).

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is one reason I tend to avoid anti depressants, in spite of suffering severe depression myself. Almost all of them have undesirable side effects, although prozac seemed to be one of the better ones for me, personally. I am now trying myself on a natural supplement called 5-htp to see how that goes for me, as many people have found it helpful for depression, anxiety, insomnia and binge eating issues.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I'm thankful that when I was on antidepressants (celexa and wellbutrin) I did not have that side effect
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful that when I was on antidepressants (celexa and wellbutrin) I did not have that side effect

I've been on about 8 antidepressants so far and none has had weight gain as a side effect, so I wasn't expecting it to happen.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options

I've been on about 8 antidepressants so far and none has had weight gain as a side effect, so I wasn't expecting it to happen.
    That's crazy, well I'm glad that you have found a way to overcome that
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love Mirtazapine, it works so well for me but I had to come off it for this exact same reason, I wanted to eat ALL THE TIME no matter what, I was so so hungry, my stomach would rumble 30 minutes after having a decent meal, didn't matter what I did, upped protein, upped calories a little, drank more water, nothing helped.

I've also been on several other AD's and none were like this, I'm on Citalopram now and that actually curbs my appetite somewhat.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, I can't imagine! :(

I've been on Effexor XR off and on (off when I had no insurance) since 2000 and haven't had any bad side effects whatsoever. First one I tried and it's worked like a champ. I'm so very very lucky and I know it.

Sounds like you have a gameplan in place to help with that side effect now. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been on several anti-depressants where I'd never had this issue, but then my doctor put me on seroquel in the night time for anxiety/sleeping problems. If I don't go to bed after I take it and sleep through the night I am a mad woman about food. Seroquel is notorious for this kind of thing. I don't think it is even the metabolic effects if it has any- just feeling the urge to eat everything not nailed down!
    Often I like to save some small amount of calories to have water crackers or carrots to munch on after I take it, just to give my brain what it wants haha!
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, I can't imagine! :(

I've been on Effexor XR off and on (off when I had no insurance) since 2000 and haven't had any bad side effects whatsoever. First one I tried and it's worked like a champ. I'm so very very lucky and I know it.

Sounds like you have a gameplan in place to help with that side effect now. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    I take effexor XR too and it is the least side effect drug I've ever taken-unless I forget to take it! Wonder-drug I think!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound weird but exercise is a great anti depressant. Worked for me and very unlikely to cause weight gain. I'm not being snide It just really worked for me. I was so glad I didn't have to take pills.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound weird but exercise is a great anti depressant. Worked for me and very unlikely to cause weight gain. I'm not being snide It just really worked for me. I was so glad I didn't have to take pills.

Yes, exercise has definitely worked for me too, though i am still taking citalopram, exercise definitely lowers my depression. I have lost all the weight on here since this May, i began the citalopram at the end of January. It is not true they all make everyone gain weight- for me it gave me head space to do things like think "what am i doing to myself" rather than not caring, and to devote thought to exercise and logging of food.

For what it is worth, most anti depressants are proven to have some effect on severe depression, but a lot of people seem to be described them for depression that medically would not be called seevre, which is perhaps why so many people say they don't work- a bit like taking paracetemol for a heart attack and saying they are no good.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with compulsive eating. I think I may try it your way. I know that if I lock myself in my room, then I won't raid my fridge, but that is hard to do because I currently don't live alone at the moment.

So, I've been compensating by burning off all the extra calories. It's been working so far, but I know that as soon as I get bored with the gym, I won't be able to stay on track.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options

I agree and disagree. Some people are truly not depressed, but simply in a depressed state in their lives. We are all different, yes, but when I was at my lowest battling depression I took to exercise in the form of walking. I walked 2-4 hours daily and lost about 70 ish lbs in 3 months. I was still wearing the same clothes and didn't even realize I lost so much weight until someone later pointed it out to me. Even with walking 2-4 hours a day [ my legs were the best they've ever been in my life], I was still so deeply depressed that I was unware of my own body. So, exercise might be enough for some people, but for those who are seriously depressed, they may need a combination or exercise and medication.

Years ago, I can't remember the medication I started on, but instead of increasing my appetite, it kind of stopped it. I would go to eat food, but when I held the fork up to my mouth, it felt like an invisible wall came up in my mouth. It felt like a forcefield that I just couldn't get by and so I didn't want to eat. I stopped taking the medication after a couple of weeks.
  • Ms_Lemgo
    Options
    I've been on a variety of anti-depressants. Like you, I gained a lot of weight within a very short period of time. After almost a year of trial and error, I finally found a med that's working for me (Lamictal). The extra weight fell of just as fast as it had come on. You need to work with a professional you trust until the med that's right for you is found - it might be a long and frighting journey, but it is well worth it. You really do not want to add to your depression due to weight gain.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I agree and disagree. Some people are truly not depressed, but simply in a depressed state in their lives. We are all different, yes, but when I was at my lowest battling depression I took to exercise in the form of walking. I walked 2-4 hours daily and lost about 70 ish lbs in 3 months. I was still wearing the same clothes and didn't even realize I lost so much weight until someone later pointed it out to me. Even with walking 2-4 hours a day [ my legs were the best they've ever been in my life], I was still so deeply depressed that I was unware of my own body. So, exercise might be enough for some people, but for those who are seriously depressed, they may need a combination or exercise and medication.

Years ago, I can't remember the medication I started on, but instead of increasing my appetite, it kind of stopped it. I would go to eat food, but when I held the fork up to my mouth, it felt like an invisible wall came up in my mouth. It felt like a forcefield that I just couldn't get by and so I didn't want to eat. I stopped taking the medication after a couple of weeks.

I am with you on this. Exercise actually has absolutely no positive effect on my depressive symptoms. I actually react negatively (emotionally/mood-wise) to exercise. I was training for a 5K this Summer and after each run I was angry. I was moodier the whole time. I had a shorter temper. It was just a bad time all around. So much for endorphins making you happy! I actually avoid strenuous exercise when I'm feeling my most depressed. Moving some, and stretching is fine for me, but working hard and getting sweaty hurts my mood overall.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My ex husband gained around 30 lbs after being put on anti depressants. He was always very slim and didn't take the urges to binge very well. It is an unfortunate side effect. It also seemed to zap his energy and so he wasn't as active as he had been before.

The side effects may lessen for you in time, if not maybe try discussing this with your doctor for advice on how to counter it.