Ugh... I overate AGAIN!

Options
Hi! I am really beating myself up emotionally and mentally and need some help. I overate this weekend... a lot. I did well Saturday, as in I stayed within my calories but then on Friday and Sunday (today) I ate horribly. I ate by over 600 calories. The problem is that I have been eating AT MAINTENANCE all month, so I will gain weight. I am so upset and just want to cry and then eat. I have not done either but need some encouragement, or help.
Thanks!

Replies

• calton1
    calton1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! Tomorrow you just go back to eating within your calories. You'll be fine. We all overindulge once in awhile, we're human.
  • Mochaccino10
    Mochaccino10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, do you mean you overrate by 600 calories per day? I thought it might be a typo because it's really not much. A 600 calorie surplus is not much to worry about. As long as you go back to your maintenance calories soon you should be just fine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pull up your bootstraps and remember tomorrow is a new day. Beating yourself up is counterproductive.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    I was just wondering, do you mean you overrate by 600 calories per day? I thought it might be a typo because it's really not much. A 600 calorie surplus is not much to worry about. As long as you go back to your maintenance calories soon you should be just fine.

600 calories just on Sunday- today, but way more on Friday.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just remember that we all have bad days and if you are that concerned about it then eat a few hundred calories under maintenance over the next few days to make up for it. I know a lot of people on here that worry about there weekly deficient more than each individual day so maintenance would work the same. If your maintenance is 2000 a day then your week should be 14000 so if you eat 2500 one day you just eat at 1500 the next or 1750 over the next two to equal it out.
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting today!....because I went over on my calories as well today....I logged it all but I sure didn't want to! There are just those kind of days. For me, I realize that I have the ability to slip back into old habits extremely fast...that possibility is always lurking somewhere around a corner. However, I celebrate the successes I have with this....in my past I would have thrown up my hands and said, "Well, I am a huge failure so I might as well continue with overeating"....but now, hey, I overate this one day. It wasn't pleasant, it's a reminder of how quickly I can slip, but it doesn't mean I am a failure. And you aren't either. I am going to get right back on track. I hope you will too.:smile:
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. It's in the past; move on. You can either make a plan to exercise more to burn those calories off over the next few days/weeks, or you can just move on.You could also adjust your goals, if you feel like you're too restricted.

Now, I am a newbie and I am a binge eater. I have been binging since I started my diet a month and a half ago. I have been 'punishing' myself by walking on the treadmill until I burned those extra calories off.

I know the calories burned on the treadmill aren't accurate, but in my mind they are. What I do is knock 10% off of whatever reading I get from the treadmill before I log it in on MFP. I usually burn more than my overage, so I'm cool beans after.

I am aware that my way isn't too healthy, but baby steps, right? At least, at the end of the day I'm kind of sticking to my calorie goals... right?
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It happened, it is in the past, now you can move on :). Sounds like you have been doing good overall, one bad weekend isn't a failure.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    600 calories is nothing. By the time today is over I will have gone ~1,200 over my calorie goal. That's life, I've learned to live with it. A little less ice cream tomorrow, and maybe an extra lap around the block, and life goes on and all is well.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Listen, I overate yesterday..I knew I would and I just considered it controlled chaos. I didnt hog down cakes and pies and breads but I did go over my calories and I have very high calories per day because of my job..however I dont work on weekends, so going over is extra damaging. I just looked at it like a planned cheat day and enjoyed every bite. Today was a new day and yes, I wanted more, but I had my day. Dont freak out, think things through and get on with your plan. You control this. GOOD LUCK!!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    logging makes sure you can't hide the truth from yourself. Well done for learning. You can loose a couple of thousand calories in a couple of days so no need to fret.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The first step to failure is to beat yourself up when you make a mistake. You'll over eat even more do to the emotional roller coaster and eventually just give up all together. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • rhiannsu
    rhiannsu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a baaaad weekend too…starting at lunchtime on Friday through this morning. It seemed like self-sabotage, but I couldn't seem to stop! So at lunchtime, I took a hike, then a walk later, and then spent some time on the stationary bike. I know I will still post a gain for the weekend, but at least I feel like I'm back in control. Don't beat yourself up over it! "No regrets and move on!"
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I ate a 1000 calories at KFC today but I just got out and walked and had a light dinner and plan on doing better tomorrow. One weekend wont mess you up too bad, just get back on track. Also, ask yourself if anything was bothering you, ask if it was emotional or just too much temptation. I also make a plan for next time if I made mistakes. Sometimes I need to get away from the food and socialize and not stay there looking at that food.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone - you will never be perfect, it's not possible! Heck, if the worst thing you do in your life is overeat one weekend, you're a saint :tongue:

The only way this beats you is if you let it make you quit.

So make peace with it, put it behind you, and use it as motivation for the upcoming week. You can do it!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day to start over. One or two off days aren't going to make you gain all the weight back you lost. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am really beating myself up emotionally and mentally and need some help. I overate this weekend... a lot. I did well Saturday, as in I stayed within my calories but then on Friday and Sunday (today) I ate horribly. I ate by over 600 calories. The problem is that I have been eating AT MAINTENANCE all month, so I will gain weight. I am so upset and just want to cry and then eat. I have not done either but need some encouragement, or help.
    Thanks!
    You can have a bad day, a bad week and even a bad month, but if you stay CONSISTENT, it's hard to have a bad year. Just need to buckle up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 19rosehill
    19rosehill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went to a party Saturday night.took food in my bag and 2 bottles of mineral water to try and keep myself from wandering calorie extras - but - I still overrate too.but after I looked for the positives.i was very choosy at what I picked to eat, and absolutely enjoyed every mouthful.so I'm not regretting it.but the following days I have absolutely stayed active and drank heaps of water.i logged exactly what I ate, so I can review my eating pattern correctly, and definetly don't get on the scales until the end of the month after being back on track with my gym work outs.but ultimately you have done the number one important thing of all! That is offload the emotion about it on here.by spilling the beans about it helps get it out of your head and release the guilt and pressure on yourself so you CAN start fresh.i say well done! And maybe stay blogging more when your getting anxious before you overeat! Distract yourself with conversation.and drink water at the same time to hydrate yourself.
  • PDW88
    Options
    Let me tell you, we have all been there. I have been there and its has been a terrible week for me. I try to focus on the positives...

Did I get up each day and hit the gym? Yes.
    Did I resolve to try my best to do better next time? Yes
    Did I hang my head in defeat and give up? Absolutely not.

You can make the same decisions. This is a battle. We can lose a battle or two and not lose the whole war. Just have to center ourselves and really keep at the forefront why exactly we are doing this. Lets get healthy and fit!
  • QueenZeeIsm
    QueenZeeIsm Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up. I usually do the same but what I know is that tomorrow is another day and I just have to refocus. better you overeat 1 weekend than just overeating all the time.

you are on the right track but cut yourself some slack. keep going!