Just Joined

Hello All!!

I am new to MFP (@6'4" & almost 300 lbs) and already loving the encouragement and motivation. I'm looking forward to meeting people on a similar journey. Learning more about healthier eating, fitness tips and sharing a kind word!

I'm on the way back to 225, mind & body, so please feel free to add me or encourage me or share your story!

Replies

• AdamRNY
    AdamRNY Posts: 6 Member
    Welcome Dave! I am fairly new to the MFP forums but have been using MFP to track since the summer. So far it's been great. A couple of tips

1. In the beginning logging may seem like a pain but it gets easier after a couple of weeks
    2. Try to track as best you can but don't drive yourself crazy if you can't find the exact item in the database.
    3. Try to do your best to manage you calorie intake when you can...I have to eat out a lot for work so when I am home I am really strict cause I can be.
    4. Plan! If you don't have the midmorning or mid afternoon snack on you when you need it, you will get over hungry and want to pig out at the next meal. 5-6 smaller meals a day!
    5. EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! - I learned this the hard way. Say your goal is 1600 a day (that's mine) and you are burning 350 extra calories a day and not eating them back, your body will go into a defense mode and hold on to fat instead of letting it go. Everyone is different maybe you eat half of them back, maybe all of them. When you look at the reports you can see what works for you.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Adam
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal! Its great to have you be a part of our community and love that you are already having a positive experience. You will find there are a lot of dedicated, supportive, knowledgeable folks here to support you on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Welcome and enjoy the journey!!!
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! This is a great tool for staying conscious and motivated on your health improvement journey. I find that, as long as I track my food and exercise regularly, I feel great and continue to make improvements. Here's to your health!
  • Thanks for the tips. I'm new as well and that's one thing my nutritionist didn't really mention.
    The tip about eating the calories burned. I;ve been staying around 1200 cal. With carb counts at 45-60 for Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner and snacks at 15-30.