MFP calories burned vs. Gym equipment calories burned

katland15
katland15 Posts: 12
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anybody know why the exercises on MFP show more calories burned than the display on the actual gym equipment? I am assuming it has to do with relative effort/speed, but since I can't adjust that on MFP for exercises like the elliptical machine, am I better off overriding it with the number of calories indicated on the machine itself? I do plug in my weight and age on the machine. Also, I think heart rate has an impact, but since I am on several heart medications that lower my heart rate, my HR reading on the gym monitors does not reflect my actual "work" rate. Any ideas/suggestions/advice? Thanks!!!! :huh:

Replies

• Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    what I do is if the machine takes in your weight and has adjustable inclines, speeds, etc. i use the machine.

Mfp is awesome in calories burned estimates otherwise, but it doesn't take into account different types of the same workout.

e.g. walking on a flat treadmill at the same speed I would use MFP vs. walking on a treadmill with a slight incline, and varied speed (and it asked me my weight at the beginning) I would use the treadmill.

What garuntees it's positive effect on weightloss is not eating all of the calories back. Either way you've burned something!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I would go by the numbers that you're getting from the machines at the gym because the numbers on MFP are just general guidelines. Or, if you wanted to err on the side of caution, you could always average the two.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    i always go by what the gym says. guess the only way to truely know would be with a HRM which I cannot afford
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I would go with what the gym equipment says. MFP has numbers on here that don't measure what I'm doing. You have to go by your age, weight and heart rate in order to get an accurate reading. I finally broke down and bought a heart monitor which is very accurate for me.
  • caffein8ed
    caffein8ed Posts: 1 Member
    I don't know about MFP's numbers, but when I used to wear a heart rate monitor during my workouts, I found out that in reality, I was always burning FEWER calories than the machine said. Sometimes there wasn't much difference (treadmill), but sometimes it was a 50-100 calorie difference (elliptical). That was a big wake-up call! Later, my trainer told me that the machines are notoriously "off," and to trust ONLY a good heart rate monitor. (I don't know if that would make a difference considering your medications, though--sounds like a good question for your doctor.)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    gym equipment is notoriously inaccurate. I don't know about MFP's numbers. I use a HRM at the gym and although it is also not 100%, it is generally less than the gym equipements number on all machines. Based on my weight the gym equipment averages about 20% or more than what I actually burned. Yes I enter weight and heart beat.

I've also found that MFP's numbers can be lower or higher compared to my HRM, but I find them to be lower most of the time.
  • Thanks! Great advice. I have a HRM, but it doesn't calculate calories burned, just measures HR. Guess I know what my next "reward" for a mini weight loss goal will be!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.