Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Happy Trails tooooo yooooouuuuuuu.........:heart:

Gonna hit it after work! Length tbd later.. :smile:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    The hills are alive!!!

Today was the hill workout. 3.25 miles total.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I went out this morning and ran 7k (just under 4 1/2 miles) and I feel so good. If I had more time, I think I could have ran longer.
    I ran it a few minutes faster than normal so I'm thinking my long run on Sundays is helping improve my runs overall.

Good luck to all of you heading out today.

It's still cold here but they are calling for it to warm up a little by the weekend. Finally!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am also gonna hit da trail!!! I am gonna gas up my truck a little(ahhhhh just like side show bob always does on the simpsons) and hit the gym for a little lifting then go on down to a new place to run, that believe it or not my DAD told me, go to the riverfront trail here in the city. I get to run for about 4+/- miles along our wonderful "muddy mon" and if I go early enough meaning shortly after I type this I can get it over with and get back home to sit and do nothing. unless I choose to run a little again(just for fun) and later I go swimming!!! A DAY OF FITNESS YAY!!!! Happy running all!!!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Cold and rainy at 5:30 am today, so I hit the treadmill and watched an episode of CSI: Miami. Not my favorite show, but it's all I had on the DVR. Got in ALMOST 4 miles.

Mireille, good to hear your endurance is improving! And Kechie--over 3 miles on hills. Good job! I guess I took it easy today.

Julie
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I got 3 miles done on the treadmill, but I had to play mental games just to keep going (run for 15 min, then I can walk, 5 more, 5 more...) but I did run all 3 without walking in teh middle. It didn't help that I forgot my ipod at home.:grumble:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    going for my run today before I head out for my min vaca...gonna track my runs there too so I can come back in brag to the best motivation ever...this thread...I mean I get totally bummed out now when I can't or don't get to run....I love reading your posts so much...thanks for starting these threads its really just what the doctor ordered....and ah not doctor my big butt...lol....yes it thanks you all soooo much!

hugs and great job!

going for 3 miles today w/ hills and WIND yeehaw!
    ali :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    The hills are alive!!!

Today was the hill workout. 3.25 miles total.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.

Good job!

Get the office painted yesterday? :smile:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    And Kechie--over 3 miles on hills. Good job! I guess I took it easy today.

Julie

<lol> I wish I had that kind of endurance. Every Weds, we run 1 mile to warm up. Then we run a hilly loop twice. The loop has two very long uphills and two very short downhills. We spend about 10 minutes overall actually climbing the hills. Then, we run a mile to cool down. Today we finished this workout 2 minutes faster than we normally finish.<patting myself on the back>

"Run like someone is chasing you.":noway:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hi Shannon!

I did get my office painted yesterday. I hate the color though. My dh picked it. My office looks like a giant bowl of lime sherbert.:laugh:

Oh well, I'm painting my office closet today. Yes, I'm painting it with the lime sherbert...
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Running Buddies!!!

I am still online for some reason so I am going to take advantage of until until I get caught!! DOP!

I ran 5 miles last night at 9pm! Felt awesome, tons of energy. My DH called me the bionic woman because I was at it for so long (read below)

Last night I messed around with my HRM while running, so I did what I guess would be considered interval training, as I was up and down the pace the whole time. It took me 1 hour to finish 5 miles (not 5K, actual miles!) but it was worth it to stay in my target HR for 40 of those minutes...

What do you guys focus on more training to run further, increasing endurance or watching Target HR?
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Lovelies.
    Sounds like you guys have gotten in some good mileage already and it's only 9:00 on the East Coast. :noway: Good job!

I may take a break today. (My knees will thank me.) My little niece is coming over this morning for a while, so I may appreciate some down time this afternoon while my daughter naps.

I plan to be back at it tomorrow, though! My daughter is going to her Nana's, so I can run earlier than normal and for as long as I can/want.

Keep up the hard work everybody! You guys are gonna look smokin' at your Memorial Day cookouts!!!
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • pam0206
    Options

I am still online for some reason so I am going to take advantage of until until I get caught!! DOP!

I ran 5 miles last night at 9pm! Felt awesome, tons of energy. My DH called me the bionic woman because I was at it for so long (read below)

Last night I messed around with my HRM while running, so I did what I guess would be considered interval training, as I was up and down the pace the whole time. It took me 1 hour to finish 5 miles (not 5K, actual miles!) but it was worth it to stay in my target HR for 40 of those minutes...

What do you guys focus on more training to run further, increasing endurance or watching Target HR?
    Bionic Woman? Sounds about right to me........:flowerforyou:

For me I think I focus more on endurance. I think if I want to increase endurance I need to work harder, but it really drives my HR up there. KWIM? Other days I work to go longer distances, but at a slower speed (mostly within my target hr). Since I do most of my running on the treadmill, it's easy for me to manage my speed and distance. So I guess I switch it up between working harder and running farther.....

I question the generic formulation for target heart rate. I suspect that heart rate depends on more than age. Wouldn't it also be dependent on fitness level? Maybe someone knows more about that than me.....if so, would love to hear your thoughts.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

My first goal is to run faster. I want to get my 10k down to an hour and I know that's going to be a challenge for me cuz I'm pretty slow. Right now it takes me about 1h 20min to run it.
    At some point I want to run a 1/2 marathon which means my second goal will be to increase my endurance. With all of that being said, when I run in the mornings, I don't let myself stop until I've burned 500 calories. In other words, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! lol
  • pam0206
    Options
    With all of that being said, when I run in the mornings, I don't let myself stop until I've burned 500 calories. In other words, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! lol

:laugh: This is precisely why I love you guys........
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'll be able to run today.
    My little girl had a fever all night :ohwell:
    I'll try to do something during her nap.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Great job!!!

I consider myself a new runner. I have been running for just over a year. I run 5 days a week. I don't have a hr monitor yet. I do the "talk test" when I'm out running an easy or long run. If I am with a buddy, I make sure I can say two or three word sentences between breathing. If my running partner can do an entire monologue, we pick up the pace a little. When I'm alone, I make sure that I am not so winded that I can't breathe with my mouth closed. The talk test goes out the window once a week when I do my interval or tempo run.

This has worked pretty well for me. My "long runs" started out at three miles. It probably took me 45 minutes to finish back then. Now my "long runs" are 7 miles and take me about 80 minutes. In two weeks, my "long runs" will be going to 8 miles.

Over the past year, I've done one long run per week. Every week, I add a little more mileage to my long run. Keeping the pace comfortable of course... I am pretty sure the long runs help you run longer distances by helping you get used to being on your feet that long. I read in my runners world women's running book that unless you're an elite athlete 90 minutes is the max "long run".

Hope this helps
    -Kechie.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Hi Shannon!

I did get my office painted yesterday. I hate the color though. My dh picked it. My office looks like a giant bowl of lime sherbert.:laugh:

Oh well, I'm painting my office closet today. Yes, I'm painting it with the lime sherbert...

Yiikes!!! :noway:

My condolences! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I ran 5 miles on the treadmill last night (and walked 2). Today I'm going to do strength training. Keep up the good work everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow runners (1 miler whoopee) have u ever had you knee hurt before and after running but
    not during the run?